Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Remove Donut 2 From the Map Rotation
(04-26-2018, 01:44 AM)Gannets Wrote: I'm not saying this isn't a good idea, I'm sure Donut could use some more modernization. But isn't this kind of a self-policing problem?

Like, can't the 40 players who hate it just... vote for another map? That's kind of the point of the map vote system!

This way we can keep all of the maps on hand for if and when people fancy them, without having to wheel out a coder to manually adjust the build.

That's how I feel about it. Vote for the map you want if it's a problem for you.

That said, does the map vote have to take place right at the start of a round? I know it needs time to configure, but I think if the map vote happened once the shuttle got to Centcom, or even when it was on transit there, you'd have more people voting
(04-27-2018, 09:55 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 01:44 AM)Gannets Wrote: I'm not saying this isn't a good idea, I'm sure Donut could use some more modernization. But isn't this kind of a self-policing problem?

Like, can't the 40 players who hate it just... vote for another map? That's kind of the point of the map vote system!

This way we can keep all of the maps on hand for if and when people fancy them, without having to wheel out a coder to manually adjust the build.

That's how I feel about it. Vote for the map you want if it's a problem for you.

That said, does the map vote have to take place right at the start of a round? I know it needs time to configure, but I think if the map vote happened once the shuttle got to Centcom, or even when it was on transit there, you'd have more people voting

Building on this, would it be possible to do it in the last 5 minutes the shuttle takes to arriv Realized a problem with this mid-sentence.  During Rev or Nuke-op rounds, there's no shuttle.  Starting the vote after the nuke is set would make sense, but there are rounds when the ops are killed before it's set, and Rev rounds end once either the heads or the rev leaders are killed, so an automatic map vote would probably be impossible.

It would be difficult to work around those two I think.  Keeping the map vote to the beginning seems the easiest way to do it.  The vote could also start before the round starts and stop at the normal time so everyone has the time to vote.
Ah dang, you're right!
As much as I dislike Donut 2 (And Mushroom) as of now, I'd say it needs to stay as you can't see what's wrong with it (and thus make suggestions) if it's gone.

EDIT : Also remove the maintenance ghosts, they're an auditory nuisance. Or does anybody actually like them ?
If memory serves the mapvote was put at the start of the round for compiling purposes.

Donut has potential, but we have 3 maps that need some work (donut, mushroom, chiron) for various reasons, it's going to take time to get them up to coggy standards with all the other crap they're doing for us on top of the maps.
I think what most people are failing to realize is that if Donut 2 was removed, it would be something less to worry about for a while.
Another thing to keep in mind is that Donut 2 doesn't have a few minor problems here or there, it has missing content all around the station and even the research outpost. Seriously, a lot of departments are lacking even the most basic of things, Mining doesn't exist from what I know, and what is essential in this time of maps isn't even there!
Donut 2 was one of the first maps I played on.

Playing on it again after the implementation of the map voting made me want to throw myself into the singularity and go play Stellaris instead.

Donut 2 is old. And relatively small compared to the cogmaps we are used to. Heck I remember in the version I was on they hadn't even added the new mechanics/eletrician system yet. It was still the old boards and components that didn't work. Was a nice trip down memory lane and I'm sure that got fixed (hopefully) but for the 40ish players that were on at the time, the station was painfully small and resources hilariously scarce. Donut 2 wasn't made to survive the rigors, needs, and population of a modern spaceman shift. Except maybe at night.

It needs a tune up and probably some upscaling.

Edit: forgot to say, yeah it should probably be pulled out of rotation until it can get a makeover.
A donut 3 would be best if it were scaled up and simply had everything missing added in, till then leave it in rotation with a warning label next to it ( [Condemned] )
It's times like these that make me wish that the public release maps were synchronized with the actual maps in-rotation.

As much as I want to throw time and energy into making donut 2.5, I don't have the necessary access to the map.