Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Media apps for PDA
Hold the PDA in hand and click things to snap photos of them similar to a camera.

Instead of printing the photo, it saves it as a sendable image file on the PDA.

Similarly, a Recorder app that works like the cassete player in the program, but saves it as a sendable audio file.

Both take up storage space, so there's a limited capacity of files you could hold at a time
Would require a special package to use, otherwise there'd be no point in having a regular camera outside of spying
Toss in a ThinkBoy Printer to noisily print out grainy washed out pictures of the image.
Actually... Combine that with the previous point and there's your advantage to using normal cameras/cassete tapes vs the PDA programs: Higher clarity

Pictures could only be in Black and White, and the recording length much shorter on the PDA. Not to mention the storage issues would probably limit you to only a few files at a time, necessitating frequent deletion.

But I like the idea of sending people selfies
I just realized that Secmate program has a digital photoviewer that converts splayer sprites into something that looks like this

..............+.+...............
.............+++++..............
............@+++++@.............
..........+++++++++++...........
...........@@@@@@@@@............
...........+@@@@@@@@............
..........@+@@@@@@@@............
..........@@+@@@@@@@@...........
..........@+@@@@@@@+............
..........+@@@@@@@@@+...........
.........+@@@@@@@@@.++..........
........+++.@@@@@@@@+++.........
........+++.@@@@@@@@+++.........
.......++++..@@@@@.@++++........
.......+++...@@@@@...+++........
.......+++...+@@@+...+++........
.............+@@@+..............
.........++.++@@@++.++..........
...........+...@...+............
...........+++++++++............
..........+++++.+++++...........
..........+++++.+++++...........
...........++++.++++............
...........++++.++++............
.............++.++..............
.........++++.+.+.++++..........
.........+++++...+++++..........

If the PDA photo program worked like that, where pixel color tiles were replaced with an Ascii symbol, would be a fun but distinct difference between the two
(04-28-2018, 09:59 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Would require a special package to use, otherwise there'd be no point in having a regular camera outside of spying
Frank_Stein Wrote:Actually... Combine that with the previous point and there's your advantage to using normal cameras/cassete tapes vs the PDA programs: Higher clarity"

I gotta disagree with both of these points. The reason people don't use photo functionality is because it's tied to an object that nobody cares to get or carry around. I also disagree with giving the PDA version less clarity. Goon's photo system is already weak compared to ones like TG, which allows for much bigger photos and gives better detail about what's in the photos. I'd rather the photo system be improved and that the camera be replaced by a PDA app, so that the photo function is actually used.

Speaking of media apps, I'd love a 'share' option, allowing you to send photos to people or to a round gallery for all to see (perhaps viewed as part of the end-round popup as well). In addition to this, I wouldn't restrict these functions to a special package or cartridge, either. You do that to things that provide a solid advantage to the player, but not social functions because then they'll just go untouched.
That's honestly how I feel about it but I didn't know how much people wanted it scaled

I mostly think it would be fun to send pictures to people and to share those

Dunk on the clown and send it to your department to laugh at

Sec sends out a pic of someone to look put for

Send clues to the detective trying to catch you
ASCII printers 2018