Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hackable/breakable local communications
(04-22-2018, 07:15 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: when i learned about the radio functionality of packet stuff via dwaine, the idea got planted in my brain of an antag taking down the local comms (not actually possible) and power draining the station. Would create one hell of an atmosphere having to fumble with shitty radios in the dark as players are picked off one by one...
(04-22-2018, 08:09 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: You know, I'm sure Comms could be tied to APCs somehow. Like, whatever room they power could also affect sending and receiving communications in that room. Maybe messing with it doesn't take it out all together, but garbles the messages with static

Station bounced radios could not only function during Solar flares, but also work independently from APC comms, but maybe they have an issue with range and are only effective 30 or so tiles away before they get a bit of static as well
(04-22-2018, 08:35 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: hmmm, id prefer a hub in each department that handles nearby communications that can be hacked, be ruined by a power out or shut down/blown up. This should be it's own thread though, I like to keep threads on topic

this is a thread for this idea to prevent derailing
I like it, especially the third block, it sings to me
In cog1 in the mainframe room south of AI foyer, isnt there a telecommunications device there? What does that do exactly?
(04-23-2018, 05:06 AM)Recusor Wrote: In cog1 in the mainframe room south of AI foyer, isnt there a telecommunications device there? What does that do exactly?
That's the mainframe radio, which is used for guardbuddy communication and laptop connections
I like all of the suggestions made. This would also make it easier to not have someone immediately scrram "HELP BOB BUTTNUT LING CHAPEL" etc. for antags, if they plan ahead. It could also help make PDA messaging (or if we're lucky the mail system too) more frequently used.

My suggestions would be give each department their own comms hub that works station-wide, but give the general/civilian channel a few spread out hubs so that taking one out would cut communications portside/aftside/centrally. Additionally I think the AI should get an alarm that alerts them of a communications hub being down. They would know where trouble is going down but only generally, and could at least let the crew know about comms damage.
AI having a speaker system would be nice, AI is tough enough as it is, no need to bump it up further