Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Liquid canister sprite submission
A friend of mine asked if I wanted to make a fluid canister sprite for the game.

[Image: New_Piskel_2.png]Feel free to give me suggestions on how to improve it, and/or colored liquids to fill it with.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I feel like too much of it is transparent. But I really like it using the chemical color and having a fullness gauge.

Maybe a version that just has a small window that runs most of the length up it?
(04-19-2018, 07:27 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I feel like too much of it is transparent. But I really like it using the chemical color and having a fullness gauge.

Maybe a version that just has a small window that runs most of the length up it?

Thanks for the input! I was thinking about making an alternate with a smaller window, and maybe I'll try adding a highlight to the glass to make it look more like glass. I'll try putting the smaller window around the middle and see how it looks.
(04-20-2018, 02:25 AM)ImmortalSamurai12 Wrote:
(04-19-2018, 07:27 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I feel like too much of it is transparent. But I really like it using the chemical color and having a fullness gauge.

Thanks for the input! I was thinking about making an alternate with a smaller window, and maybe I'll try adding a highlight to the glass to make it look more like glass. I'll try putting the smaller window around the middle and see how it looks.

How does it look? [Image: Ass_canister_2.png]
(04-20-2018, 05:12 PM)ImmortalSamurai12 Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 02:25 AM)ImmortalSamurai12 Wrote:

How does it look? [Image: Ass_canister_2.png]

I think it looks pretty dang cool, but i might suggest changing the top bit so that it's a little more distinct from the gas canister. Or don't. It'd be pretty fucking hilarious to see newbies trying to wrench one of these into the hot loop.
Suggestion : add a little mechanical-looking pump component near the bottom somewhere so I can add some fluid suction functionality to these canisters as well.
(04-22-2018, 05:34 PM)mbc Wrote: Suggestion : add a little mechanical-looking pump component near the bottom somewhere so I can add some fluid suction functionality to these canisters as well.

I made two versions; one having slits around the bottom to let water in, and another one with a singular hole. I'm probably going to go with Amaran's suggestion of changing the top up a bit, like an automated handle that goes up and down when activated.

It might need a spout or slot for filling smaller containers with it's contents. It's coming along great
I assumed that little triangle on the side was the spout
(04-27-2018, 04:08 PM)BlackPhoenix Wrote: I assumed that little triangle on the side was the spout

It is, but a slot or platform that can hold the container's not a bad idea.
Hi, I made the gas canister sprites (Nearly a year ago, how time flies by.) that you're using as a base. Mainly, I can explain what the weird top things are: They're the top of top of propane canisters, which I deciphered from the ancient sprites that the game had used for nearly a literal decade. It might work better to have a smooth capped top, like a rounded cylinder, or maybe keeping the top.

In terms of spriting, the grey that you're using for the outline on the blue parts looks a little odd, a colored outline would probably fit better; also, the outline is lighter than the main body in some parts, which looks odd. The sprite's also a little complex/noisy, but that's sorta unavoidable with the small scale involved. I might recommend changing up the water meter to help with that, since the location of the sprite is supposed to indicate being placed within the cylinder, like inside a hole. Also, examine the values (how bright or dark) and saturation (how vivid/faded) of the colors that you're using. Here's your sprite in greyscale, which can help point out oddities in value; big thing at the moment being that the darkest blue used is too dark. Also, possibly finding another color to distinguish from the O2 canisters might be good, like shifting the blue more towards green or purple (but still being blue), but these general colors might work as is.

Hope this helps!
I like the idea of it being a teal/seafoam color, but slightly desaturated, maybe. That makes it closer to water, indicative of its nature, and afaik we don't have any greenish canisters
(05-16-2018, 08:36 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Hi, I made the gas canister sprites (Nearly a year ago, how time flies by.) that you're using as a base. Mainly, I can explain what the weird top things are: They're the top of top of propane canisters, which I deciphered from the ancient sprites that the game had used for nearly a literal decade. It might work better to have a smooth capped top, like a rounded cylinder, or maybe keeping the top.

In terms of spriting, the grey that you're using for the outline on the blue parts looks a little odd, a colored outline would probably fit better; also, the outline is lighter than the main body in some parts, which looks odd. The sprite's also a little complex/noisy, but that's sorta unavoidable with the small scale involved. I might recommend changing up the water meter to help with that, since the location of the sprite is supposed to indicate being placed within the cylinder, like inside a hole. Also, examine the values (how bright or dark) and saturation (how vivid/faded) of the colors that you're using. Here's your sprite in greyscale, which can help point out oddities in value; big thing at the moment being that the darkest blue used is too dark. Also, possibly finding another color to distinguish from the O2 canisters might be good, like shifting the blue more towards green or purple (but still being blue), but these general colors might work as is.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback! I might kill two birds with one stone and try replacing the little screen on the left and turn it into a slot for filling in containers to clean things up a bit, since it's only for aesthetic purposes. I'll try changing the placement of the meter too, to see if there could be a better place for it. I really like the idea of the capped top instead of the propane canister top. I've been meaning to try out the colored outlines and I'll certainly try making the blues lighter next time.
(05-17-2018, 04:09 PM)ImmortalSamurai12 Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 08:36 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Hi, I made the gas canister sprites (Nearly a year ago, how time flies by.) that you're using as a base. Mainly, I can explain what the weird top things are: They're the top of top of propane canisters, which I deciphered from the ancient sprites that the game had used for nearly a literal decade. It might work better to have a smooth capped top, like a rounded cylinder, or maybe keeping the top.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback! I might kill two birds with one stone and try replacing the little screen on the left and turn it into a slot for filling in containers to clean things up a bit, since it's only for aesthetic purposes. I'll try changing the placement of the meter too, to see if there could be a better place for it. I really like the idea of the capped top instead of the propane canister top. I've been meaning to try out the colored outlines and I'll certainly try making the blues lighter next time.
A little late with this one. I'm a little iffy about the neck of the canister, and the liquid dispensing station, but I'm sure I fixed the saturation issue.