Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Forced Department Heads
Did they ever make sure that heads have a gun permit? I haven't played MD in awhile and forgot if they gave em one
This system could work with Security. Not with the Head of Security but with normal officers. This is something we've talked about for years on this site and the chatrooms. Forcing some players to be heads and normal Security is a good thing. Though if I have something set on unwanted I would really like it so this system does not bypass it and make me play something I don't like or have any interest in.

I'll be the first to tell you when a good chunk of people get a role they dont like they suicide right off the bat.
I'd much rather this not force people to be regular security, but instead promote any present, whitelisted security officers if the HoS is absent.

Security is probably the second most stressful job on the station after AI. I don't think we should be forcing anyone to play that part if they don't feel comfortable doing it.
To add on to Noah's comment, Im trying to play security slightly more often now but definitely need to be in the right mood to do it well I find. Sometimes I just want to be a stupid staff assistant who can suicide when I need to go to bed without throwing the safety of the station under the bus. Solution could be to just not get added to any whitelist I suppose.
Fair and good points. My main concern is with the bypassing part of this.
Please force HoP
HoP is literally the crewmember whose job it is to make sure other crewmembers are doing jobs they like.
he's the key to filling other head roles that may not have been filled, promoting latejoiners to replace dead crew, etc.
Having a HoP at his desk for the first 60 seconds of the round inevitably leads to a more fun round.
(04-18-2018, 07:08 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: This system could work with Security. Not with the Head of Security but with normal officers. This is something we've talked about for years on this site and the chatrooms. Forcing some players to be heads and normal Security is a good thing. Though if I have something set on unwanted I would really like it so this system does not bypass it and make me play something I don't like or have any interest in.

I'll be the first to tell you when a good chunk of people get a role they dont like they suicide right off the bat.

There was an idea to change the way the Centcom report works to instead of hinting at what antags there are, it instead gives you a list of people who can be trusted to not have started the round as antags

I feel like that would help with some of the Security stuff if people are really opposed to people being forced into Sec. A head can take a look at the list, see a handful of people they can trust, and form a trusted vigilante group
(04-18-2018, 09:58 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 07:08 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: This system could work with Security. Not with the Head of Security but with normal officers. This is something we've talked about for years on this site and the chatrooms. Forcing some players to be heads and normal Security is a good thing. Though if I have something set on unwanted I would really like it so this system does not bypass it and make me play something I don't like or have any interest in.

There was an idea to change the way the Centcom report works to instead of hinting at what antags there are, it instead gives you a list of people who can be trusted to not have started the round as antags

I feel like that would help with some of the Security stuff if people are really opposed to people being forced into Sec. A head can take a look at the list, see a handful of people they can trust, and form a trusted vigilante group

Necro the idea and make a thread for it, id rate 5 stars
(04-18-2018, 08:59 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: Please force HoP
HoP is literally the crewmember whose job it is to make sure other crewmembers are doing jobs they like.
he's the key to filling other head roles that may not have been filled, promoting latejoiners to replace dead crew, etc.
Having a HoP at his desk for the first 60 seconds of the round inevitably leads to a more fun round.

I agree HoP should be forced as well. They can make or break alot of people's round if they do their jobs. Also 60 seconds? Are you kidding me?! One of my main jobs I play is Head of Personnel and I stay at my desk for the first 10 minutes.
I agree that HoP should be forced, but from civvie jobs, not from the other heads. Sometimes you do just want to be a doctor++
(04-18-2018, 04:30 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 08:59 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: Please force HoP

I agree HoP should be forced as well. They can make or break alot of people's round if they do their jobs. Also 60 seconds? Are you kidding me?!  One of my main jobs I play is Head of Personnel and I stay at my desk for the first 10 minutes.

If you're not there at least 5 minutes minimum, you shouldn't be HoP.  Even the laziest and slowest people can get there in that time.

I personally stay at least ten as well.
Will all of these forces be done even through unwanted?
I can agree with it being done for the department heads but please do not do this for captain.
also, in regards to an HoS, There really isn't much to do about this unless we get more HoS players or everyone gets the ability to play HoS, so I'd say just leave HoS as is.

The HoP auto-fill from lower department heads I completely agree with, but certain department heads should have priority over the others in this case.

My suggestion would be from first to last in selection RD->MD->CE because honestly RD is the job of those 3 department heads that really doesn't have a whole lot of responsibility and could be moved up, MD next after that because the job has slightly more responsibility than the RD, but the CE has the MOST responsibility on station, and if there is no competent CE because they were made HoP than the station could be evacuated a whole lot sooner due to power loss rather than legitimate station damage or crew casulties.

Also, HoP is 3rd in charge when it comes to chain of command in my eyes, with the HoS being immediately above then captain at the top, and the HoP can be and is responsible for a WHOLE LOT more than just ID changes in the case of neither of the higher positions being present on station. The HoP gains control over the station in the absence of the other two and I see the HoP standardly responsible for ID changes, Payroll/Budgets, Keeping the station within NT standards, Crew satisfaction and happiness, Department efficiency, and the general crew's overall well being.

From my personal experience, by the time you are 30 minutes into the round and there is some kind of emergency or it's a rev round and the captain was killed or is a highly obvious target, a good HoP would generally be able to deal with any issues adequately and supply the station with the appropriate supplies to both properly equip the station with the required weapons or resources needed for a certain situation and satisfy NT standards.

Overall I kinda just look at the HoP job as HR (Human Resources) for the station but can step up to being in charge if the occasion rises.
Outside of the RP server the Cap, HoP, and HoS are practically the same rank. Who you listen to (non-silicon) is down to respect. If you listen to anyone, that is.

For my own enjoyment I'll rank the heads in order of which I like most:

1. HoS
  2. Medical Director
  3. Captain
  4. Chief Engineer
  5. Research Director
  6. Captain'd AIs
  7. Changeling w/ Head ID
  8. HoP
(04-18-2018, 10:32 PM)Vitatroll Wrote:
  1. HoS
  2. Medical Director