Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prismatic Spray [New Wizard Spell]
What it is:

A spell made to imitate 5th Edition DnD's spell Prismatic Spray.

What it does:

It sprays out 12 randomly generated projectiles, created by leveraging pre-existing artifact bullet code, in a cone with an opening of approximately 53.15 degrees, which is roughly what the cone AOE in DnD 5e corresponds to.

It's an extremely high variance spell and is not reliable as a primary damage dealer, but can definitely save your hide in a pinch. It currently has a cooldown equivalent to the modern fireball cooldown of 35 seconds.

There's also an admin exclusive version that sprays out any and all types of projectiles in the game in a 360 degree radius.

Why I did it:
I dunno.

Things it needs:
Voice lines for male, female, and necromancer wizmen.
A sprite for the ability icon.

Things it doesn't need:
Functional code.

Demonstration video using varediting to bypass cooldown restrictions and chapel usage restrictions:

Compare:
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...maticspray

Diff:
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...spray.diff

Patch:
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...pray.patch

EDIT:
New icons thanks to Kubius!
Code refactor that does the following:
Code:
removes some rare runtimes, makes things much more efficient, handles edge cases such as the target being on the same tile as the caster, and handles mage staves/arcanepower

New feature: standing on the same tile as the target for your cone will now make your projectiles spew out in all directions. This should allow for more strategy as it provides the spell with more flexibility for use as a defensive crowd control tool.

To compensate, the cooldown has been increased by 5 seconds.

Also, the spell now runs the check for random *before* using a for loop. I have no fucking clue why I wrote the checks inside the for loop. As a result, the spell is marginally smoother!

EDIT 2:

Chaplains and wizards with spellpower (have a staff or a specific bioholder trait) are now completely safe from the projectiles generated by prismatic spray.

In the future, if you want to protect chaplains and spellpowered wizards from specific projectiles, set the is_wizardly var in the datum for that projectile to 1.
Vital question: Is the incanation "Projectul Infernus"
Here's a demonstration of the admin version:

(04-10-2018, 09:26 PM)Grifflez Wrote: Vital question: Is the incanation "Projectul Infernus"

It can be!
Can you make the projectiles go in a cone centered on the targeted location, as opposed to the nearest cardinal direction?
(04-10-2018, 09:40 PM)elan_oots Wrote: Can you make the projectiles go in a cone centered on the targeted location, as opposed to the nearest cardinal direction?

That's what it does, it just so happens that all the hallways are in cardinal directions. i wanted to show it off.
UPDATE:
New version pushed via git desktop, check main post for details
the more wizard spells the better, there are so many from https://www.dnd-spells.com/spells that could be implemented
This is a very cool spell
Look at 40 seconds in the first video, you fire it almost diagonally from you but it still goes straight up the hallway. Do my eyes deceive me, or is there something else at play?
(04-15-2018, 10:31 PM)elan_oots Wrote: Look at 40 seconds in the first video, you fire it almost diagonally from you but it still goes straight up the hallway. Do my eyes deceive me,  or is there something else at play?

Huh.

I'm going to say that's probably a recording/video error because I'm pretty sure I fired that one straight up the hallway.
(04-16-2018, 08:21 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(04-15-2018, 10:31 PM)elan_oots Wrote: Look at 40 seconds in the first video, you fire it almost diagonally from you but it still goes straight up the hallway. Do my eyes deceive me,  or is there something else at play?

Huh.

I'm going to say that's probably a recording/video error because I'm pretty sure I fired that one straight up the hallway.

Looking at the rest of the video that seems to be the case. Your mouse is offset to the right in the recording.
(04-16-2018, 06:31 PM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 08:21 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

Huh.

Looking at the rest of the video that seems to be the case. Your mouse is offset to the right in the recording.

Gosh darn OBS.
(04-16-2018, 07:00 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Gosh darn OBS.
anyone else have a weird thing where OBS makes all their computers noises super quiet? the mic records at a normal volume but whenever OBS is open, everything plays back really quiet. my computer sounds (like in the recording settings) are set to max. its annoying
UPDATE:

Chaplains and wizards with spellpower (i.e. they have a staff or a specific bioholder trait) are now completely safe from the projectiles generated by prismatic spray.

In the future, if you want to protect chaplains and spellpowered wizards from specific projectiles, set the is_wizardly var in the datum for that projectile to 1.
very good to know, thanks!