Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tweaking the Wraiths weaknesses
I think this is something we all feel needs work, so this is a thread solely for talking about the Wraiths weaknesses

My thoughts are, more common and less effort ways to fight the wraith should be added. Some ideas:
  • Remove or reduce salt scuffing and change the dynamic to how it affects the wraith. Instead of revealing the wraith upon them touching it, it acts as a barrier to their movement and vision. The wraith can choose to reveal themselves in order to remove salt
  • Candlelight can reveal the wraith. The wraith can use resources to temporarily neutalize a candle from a distance, turning the candlelight color blue while in effect.
  • The Bible, horseshoes, and other Lucky charms act as a form of protection against wraith attacks. They reduce the general damage you take from a supernatural source while preventing you from being dissolved for resources or possessed as a revenant while in your possession
  • The Ouija board can be used as a locating device. Using it in hand tells you which direction the Wraith is in by having the planchette point that way
  • Playing the organ works as a mass dispell effect weapon, killing all possessed items within a distance from the tile it was played in
I like all of this except for the ouija board. No item should be a waypoint to locate any antag.
(04-08-2018, 08:49 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I like all of this except for the ouija board. No item should be a waypoint to locate any antag.

I feel like, a big part of the strategy for fighting a Wraith could be based on base building and using area of denial weapons to box them in.

I tried to make the items used have that in mind while being thematic, but figured the crew would need some way to bring the fight to the Wraith once they've created a secure zone for themselves.
(04-09-2018, 10:16 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: ...base building ...

Im not sure how feasible it would be, but what about maybe designating a room a specific warded area outside of the chapel with literal wards, drawings on the walls or floor that instead of revealing the wraith straight up act as a wall to it? Similar to salt and restricted to a single area/room (I imagine the system that gangs use to designate areas that are claimed might work) but would allow for some fluidity instead of just running to chapel?
What about some sort of ritual of summoning? Draw a shape on the floor and sacrifice something (someone?) It could summon the wraith or prevent it from using powers until it manifests on top of the ritual circle
(04-08-2018, 07:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
  • Remove or reduce salt scuffing and change the dynamic to how it affects the wraith. Instead of revealing the wraith upon them touching it, it acts as a barrier to their movement and vision. The wraith can choose to reveal themselves in order to remove salt
  • Candlelight can reveal the wraith. The wraith can use resources to temporarily neutalize a candle from a distance, turning the candlelight color blue while in effect.

Salt scuffing should be limited to running over the piles or traveling over them with any intent other than help intent. Having salt piles function as sight barriers could be difficult since player ghosts can travel freely and would likely report back to the wraith, unless this is an intentional feature.

I love the idea of using candles to combat wraiths! It's incredibly flavorful and gives candles a more interesting function. Having them act as a reveal with a wide area of effect could be very useful. The idea of a wraith haunting the halls of an unpowered space station lit only by candles sounds like it'd make for a creepy and fun round. 

I feel that wraiths and vampires share a similar balance issue in that they require us to address the role of the chaplain: Should the chaplain be a gimmicky role with no real responsibilities or the crew's resident Van Helsing?
(04-09-2018, 12:39 PM)SimianC Wrote: I feel that wraiths and vampires share a similar balance issue in that they require us to address the role of the chaplain: Should the chaplain be a gimmicky role with no real responsibilities or the crew's resident Van Helsing?

Ultimately, I think we should shift the advantages the Chaplain has over things like wizards, vamps, and ghosts to the items they have easy access to rather than an innate ability they possess. Makes the job less of a necessity against certain antags while still giving them the power to grab all that gear early on and be the Van Helsing if they choose to.
Wraiths could be vulnerable for a few seconds while channeling abilities to give the crew a window to fight back. Or UV bulbs in those deployable tripod lights could make wraiths vulnerable but not completely solid.

Skeletons could do with slightly more health, props with less.
Yeah more stuff that makes the wraith vulnerable but not solid
Wraiths should be immobile or very slowed when visible to the crew. Also some way to stop the dumb "appear in space outside a window to farm a million points" strategy
(04-10-2018, 04:37 PM)Arborinus Wrote: Wraiths should be immobile or very slowed when visible to the crew. Also some way to stop the dumb "appear in space outside a window to farm a million points" strategy

They are slowed down when visible.
(04-09-2018, 12:39 PM)SimianC Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 07:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
  • Candlelight can reveal the wraith. The wraith can use resources to temporarily neutalize a candle from a distance, turning the candlelight color blue while in effect.

Salt scuffing should be limited to running over the piles or traveling over them with any intent other than help intent. Having salt piles function as sight barriers could be difficult since player ghosts can travel freely and would likely report back to the wraith, unless this is an intentional feature.

I love the idea of using candles to combat wraiths! It's incredibly flavorful and gives candles a more interesting function. Having them act as a reveal with a wide area of effect could be very useful. The idea of a wraith haunting the halls of an unpowered space station lit only by candles sounds like it'd make for a creepy and fun round. 

I feel that wraiths and vampires share a similar balance issue in that they require us to address the role of the chaplain: Should the chaplain be a gimmicky role with no real responsibilities or the crew's resident Van Helsing?

It might be neat if Botany could make the candles themselves. Cotton plus dropped beeswax = candle
Idea: Runes and sigils

They can be drawn on the floor as you would with crayon. Maybe require using a certain amount of blood to create it them, or perhaps you have to say some incantations while standing over them to activate them. Just something to give it a bit of a challenge.

Each symbol could have a certain effect on the Wraith when they come into proximity, such as slowing them down, or making them semi-visible but not tangible. Maybe some symbols actually are beneficial to the Wraith. Another antag or possessed player could create those symbols to help them.

Maybe which effects are connected to which symbol is randomized each round. Figuring out which symbols do what would be a bit of trial and error and guesswork. A ancient and horrible tome in the Chapel could give hints or provide you with the right incantations

Another unrelated idea: Telecrystals

Trap the wraith in one. This doesn't kill it. It can still talk and it can even be released again, maybe while under the holder of the crystals control.
Really like the runes and sigils. Reference: https://youtu.be/vv_I8V9C22w?t=38

As an additional idea, talking about taking away the chaplains unique status and using his items instead, what if these wards or maybe that organ dispel you mentioned required holy water in your bloodstream to work?
Can you shake salt in a wraith's eyes? Does it do anything? People chasing a wraith with salt shakers just sounds hilarious to me.