Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
On goon 1, you should have automatic punctuation
When I mean automatic punctuation, I mean it will automatically add a capital letter and period.
(03-23-2018, 01:37 PM)FrozenGuy5 Wrote: When I mean automatic punctuation, I mean it will automatically add a capital letter and period.

Maybe not a period, doesn't look as good in game so I tend not to use it
"WHY DID YOU EAT MY BUTTBURGER?!."
"..really now?."

To me when roleplaying, i try to convey my characters tone in it, low, sarcastic remarks are in all lowercase, while frustration and excitement have more capitals.
Not necessary, IMO. Won't do anything good for roleplay and might actually limit how expressive people can be. I know I tend to leave off full stops when my character's panicked, and while I don't tend to go without capitalisation that often I know other people do.
What characters would it use to determine the start and end of a sentence?
How about a trait that replaces any words it detects with a higher class version of it " One is terribly sorry but one is terribly sorry but well one seeeeeeay - there's ah traitor in maintenance. bloh one's self!"
Why not just get in the habit of putting a capital letter and period where necessary?
TGstation does this, I believe, at least the capitals.

I actually hate it and don't want it, because it makes being personally expressive more unpleasant and causes weird parsing bugs sometimes??
Yeah, I'm against this. Formal writing doesn't really match speech patterns
If you want the feeling of speaking quietly, why should you have to fuck with genes to do it?

Seems like it's just fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
Wouldn't mind a toggle. I sOmeTimeS liKe tO be ExPresSive tHo, sO fOr lOng TeRm? nO.
(03-23-2018, 02:45 PM)Eibel Wrote: To me when roleplaying, i try to convey my characters tone in it, low, sarcastic remarks are in all lowercase, while frustration and excitement have more capitals.

I knew I wasn't the only one. Even though I prefer reading capitalized sentences, this would limit the freedom of expression.
gross i must be an informal clown with only those lower case comic sans
I'm against this because it would serve very little overall purpose. English is a very dynamic language whose rules are difficult to quantify in a meaningful way for all cases.

Additionally, it would probably scew with some of the already finnicky language traits and mutations. It'd also likely affect a myriad of other things including, but not limited to: changeling horror forms, wizards, binary robot talk, monkeyspeak, drunkenness, and martians.
(03-30-2018, 07:21 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I'm against this because it would serve very little overall purpose. English is a very dynamic language whose rules are difficult to quantify in a meaningful way for all cases.

Additionally, it would probably scew with some of the already finnicky language traits and mutations. It'd also likely affect a myriad of other things including, but not limited to: changeling horror forms, wizards, binary robot talk, monkeyspeak, drunkenness, and martians.