Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atmospheric scanning goggles
with the atmos system being so funky i think that having some glasses that can see “air” what i mean is that when wearing the goggles it will give a visual indication for hazards like high pressure low pressure cold areas hot areas and vacuums potentially through use of some sort of colored overlay
good idea
Isn't there a PDA function on most carts, if not default, that enables you to scan gases?
(03-20-2018, 09:29 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: Isn't there a PDA function on most carts, if not default, that enables you to scan gases?

Yes, but that's on a "you click on the tile you want to scan" basis. My understanding is that these would work on everything you could see, sort of like how mesons do an overlay.

I have no idea as to whether this is feasible/performant, for what it's worth.
It looks like you could just change /datum/gas_mixture/proc/check_tile_graphic() in FEA_gas_mixture.dm to care about temperature and pressure as well as moles and to care about gases other than plasma/N2O without touching atmos processing itself. And then use the same method used to make cloakers invisible to people without thermals to make the gas sprites (other than plasma/N2O) invisible for people without atmos goggles. Unless FEA isn't what I think it is, in which case I'm just talking out of my ass.
Maybe it could just be a long-distance atmospherics scanner? Examine a floor while they're turned on and you'll get a print-out as if you were using a scanner on that tile.
(03-23-2018, 06:57 PM)Faceplant Wrote: Maybe it could just be a long-distance atmospherics scanner? Examine a floor while they're turned on and you'll get a print-out as if you were using a scanner on that tile.

I like this, in fact I already had a similar idea and then I came across this thread. I don't think it would work as nicely with glasses and a visual overlay, it wouldn't be useful for much except for seeing atmos flow. Which is sort of useful, but mostly for hull breaches or gas leaks, and in which case it's obvious to learn what's doing what without glasses anyway.

I was thinking that the Atmospheric Analyzer should have an upgrade slot similar to the Health and Reagent Scanners. This could be useful for scientists doing toxins research, engineers working on the engine, or just figuring out where is safe to go without walking there first. The only thing I'm not quite sure about is what should dispense the upgrade cartridges. I think I'll give it a try programming, this.
For some reason I read this as 'Atmospheric screaming goggles'.

It's a question of implementation and value vs effort. Faceplant gives an excellent (and very SS13) alternative.
Atmos really needs more feedback about what it's doing. I do appreciate how its eldritch nature gives rise to more superstition than actual factual understanding, but I'd really like to know if the can of air I'm waving around is actually doing what I'm hoping it is, preferably without obliterating chat.
This is a nice idea, and maybe you could "see" inside pipes when messing with the engine?