Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coolers (as opposed to heaters) for keeping hallways near engineering safer
If I hellburn, for some parts of the station my choice is reduced to either removing ALL atmo, or letting everything burn.  It seems like it would be relatively easy to just take the heater items we have, reverse what they do, and spawn a few in engineering.  Any chance this can happen?

Anyone who's seen me hellburn knows I vent engineering like CRAZY BANANAS thoroughly, but it's still not enough to keep the hallways from inevitably becoming deadly.
Requesting if this gets added, stash some in the nearby maints so if engineering doesn't get to put out the coolers for some reason, the rest of us can

Could just make heaters togglable heat or cool
Ironically, venting makes the hallways worse depending on the station and vents used.

About the idea, well, I'd like a way to manage hallway heat in general and giving heaters a cooling function would be ... cool (kill), but I don't think it'll help too much. We have an absolute minimum temp of 0K, while our upper limit is probably negative infinity K.

Having better heat shielding is probably the only answer that'll result in even, stable coverage.
give engineering a bunch of deployable heat shields (sort of like meteor shield generators) that make a collision-less forcefield which blocks heat.
put the engine on its own shuttle that PTL's the power to the station.
New job role: HVAC technician

Like atmos, but only given air and heaters/coolers to work with
I'm all for something that'd make the engine less of a death field when in use. So long as I can turn it off.
Like, I LOVE being Chief Engineer. It is the perfect amount of responsibility for me to still have fun, I get to do one nice thing for almost everyone on station (provide power) and I get to compete against myself and the other engineers in a clearly scored contest- getting insane engine output.

I seriously stress (in a very small way, I'm not nuts) sometimes that hellburning every round makes me an asshole though. I really enjoy it, and I do feel like it's just doing my job, but if you give me the tools to mitigate the fallout to the station I WILL use them!
Would be neat if heater/cooler artifacts did more actual work in this sort of thing.
its worth noting that for something to remove the heat that the engine creates, it would have to be able to lower temperature by several billion, if not trillion degrees to make it actually worthwhile to use
So I just checked in the code, this could work one of two ways if you ask me.

Create a new Space Cooler object either by duplicating a lot of the Space Heater code or fiddling with it to let it handle a new object.

OR... turning the Space Heater into a new object that works as a heater/cooler (it's the future after all) by making a single line change that currently prevents the Heater from doing anything if the atmos it's taking in is a higher temperature than what it's set to output. All you'd need to do is maybe change the object name and make a sprite to show when it's cooling instead of heating.
Space-air conditioner. Good idea.
done