Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nano-fabricator custom gun making
There should be a way for mining/QM to make their own, somewhat inferior (unless you do matscience well) energy guns:

I don't know quite what it would entail, but it would definitely involve making a LOT of parts to assemble in the nanofab, all of which have different properties with different qualities: i.e. the frame has toughness as a good quality, laser emitter needs good reflectivity/conductivity, etc.

It should probably be cardlocked for security, or located IN security, to prevent traitor miners from abusing this system too easily.

But I do like the idea of mining being able to make their own gun to use their custom power cells with instead of hoping to get lucky with yellow/red military crates.
Fine in theory, but definitely not something miners/QM should have access to at all. They already have industrial armor/mechanized boots/spears.
Perhaps a new job dedicated to material science?
tg has something similar but they're mostly limited to use in low/no gravity environments to destroy rock (or when i roll cyborg and get emagged/1-human'd to destroy people's bones)
(03-12-2018, 06:44 PM)New525 Wrote: Perhaps a new job dedicated to material science?

Mechanics and mining could use some interaction, and mechanics could use a secondary job skill
I agree with Mordent. Considering eguns can be deadly, I am reluctant to allow it. I suppose if it was indeed secure enough it would mitigate that problem, but there are so few situations in which construction of deadly weaponary is useful to non-antags I question having it at all.
Last time i gave the entire station unrestricted access to guns, it didn't end well.
(03-13-2018, 02:19 AM)Keelin Wrote: Last time i gave the entire station unrestricted access to guns, it didn't end well.

What about BULLETS?

Armor piercing bullets. Bullets that can hold 5u of reagents. Darts for the tranq rifles. Is that something that would

A) Interest you to do, and
B) Be worth trying to see if it's more workable than guns themselves?

I agree that being able to make any kind of quantity of guns is bad... EXCEPT you can just go get a phaser and make a million copies in mechanics anyhow. I think being able to make ammo would kinda be more exciting anyhow, though.

I'd prefer it if instead of making REAL guns at nanofabs, instead ZIP GUNS were less prone to failure if you used a stronger material than steel sheets. This doesn't SEEM to currently be the case. Zip guns are relatively better balanced by their two round clip.
Quote:What about BULLETS?
Actually that would be a much better idea. Make it so that you have to make speedloaders from the nanofab, while still making the gun-making process complex.

Furthermore, I think that the quality of a really good custom gun should not be much better (if at all) than any non-pistol gun, but almost always above a zip gun.

The general idea for this was to provide a really complex-to-make item for the nanofab that required a lot of different materials, using different properties for each part of the gun (including ammuniation) to indicate total quality.

Besides, locating the nanofab for this in armory or elsewhere in sec, as well as providing sec with a cargo pad / more easily accessible belt hell conduit (I don't know where it is on cog1, I should play sec more) could probably solve problems of unintended people getting it: If they go to the trouble to break into security, they're as good as an antag, and if they have to get access, security trusts them enough to be able to make guns.

Or maybe make the guns come in lockboxes that require security access to open?
Weren't custom bullets a thing a while back before the materials rework?
(03-13-2018, 12:51 PM)Tarmunora Wrote: Weren't custom bullets a thing a while back before the materials rework?

They were hilarious and overpowered. Sarin bullets every round.
I want those back for ass day at least. Seriously. They're a prime example of love-hate relationships.
(03-13-2018, 12:59 PM)Tombi Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 12:51 PM)Tarmunora Wrote: Weren't custom bullets a thing a while back before the materials rework?

They were hilarious and overpowered. Sarin bullets every round.

FAIRLY simple fix.

You load the reagent-accepting bullets into a machine and it spits out the finished product, and it won't let you use anything beyond some threshhold of lethality unless emagged.
I loved reagent infusion. I know it was super strong, but gosh it was hilarious.
I mean reagent infusion still exists (I made nitro-infused-erebite tipped arrows once, not as explosive as I hoped though), it's just a massive crapshoot of whether or not mining can find a starstone asteroid with the telescope (also for there to be any miners in the first place)