Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Replace the pathology lab with a private, medbay staff-only jazz lounge and bar.
I mentioned this on the discord and everyone there liked it so I am posting this here. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Pathology is shit. It always without fail either makes something useless that nobody notices or an unbeatable plague that permastuns everyone until they suffocate in their own plasma farts. Despite this, all threads to revamp pathology inevitably end up dying and vanishing into the wild yonder. Because nobody want to fix pathology yet, I say we replace all the on-station pathology labs and the one on zeta with a medbay staff-only jazz lounge. The pathology lab in the debris field would be kept, so people who want to recreate the 69 plagues of Peegypt can still do so if they are robust enough to fight zombies.

The medbay jazz lounge would contain:
  • Couches and chairs to sit in.
  • Nice wooden tables.
  • A jukebox and saxophone.
  • A small, fully-equipped bar, so getting rid of pathology doesn't mean giving up the chem dispenser in medbay.
  • Some bottles of wine and beer strewn about.
  • A Medical Director-Locked crate full of lifeweed.
This is the entire idea now please post if you think this idea is good or if this idea is poo.
Just woke up, memory is shit
Give it one or two of those annoying dance bots

..and a bee
(03-03-2018, 09:48 PM)Eibel Wrote: Give it one or two of those annoying dance bots

..and a bee

Yes.
Well, it solves the whole issue of people accidentally picking and spreading diseases from randomly wandering into Pathology. After all, people can't wander into something that isn't on the station in the first place. (Though there's lots of easy ways to prevent that, like screwdrivering the door, shoving one of the biohazard lockers in front of it, etc.)

It's a temporary boo-boo at best. It doesn't really fix the massive amounts of randomness and trial and error in finding and splicing for symptoms, in any way. Nor does it alleviate the associated time sink. All the frustratingly annoying stunlock combos and frustratingly wimpy ones are still there.

Nevertheless, I think it's a improvement over the current situation. Gets rid of a rarely-used space that really isn't worth spending any amount of time in, turns it into some more worthwhile.
Would hang out in jazzmedbay. Do it.
If/when pathology gets recoded to not be shit, then we can keep jazzbay while putting pathology in a small off-station area connected to medbay by an airbridge, like the cog2 AI core.
As long as medbay gets to keep its chem dispenser.
Alternatively, move pathology in a small substation south of medbay accessible by pod and mass-driver.
It makes sense safety-wise to have it isolated from the rest of the station.
Meh, I don't see the need for it. If the argument it it's wasted space, I don't see the need to actually do the work to replace it with useless space.
Personally, I'd prefer useless space over yet another "OH GREAT! I CAN'T DO ANYTHING FOR MINUTES AT A TIME TIL I DIE! FUCKING JOY!" moment.
While I have not used pathology in a long time, I am ambivalent about replacing it with a bar/lounge. I kind of want a bigger staff room (probably a bias from playing too much Theme Hospital) but on the other hand when I did mess about with pathology I enjoyed discovering the different effects, would suck to remove that chance for other players. Plus putting pathology out of the way from the station will only make people use it even less.
I'm not sure, if you make it far out of the way, as in zombies behind rocks behind another Z-level, then yeah definitely.
But if it's still close to the station, like the small testing outpost there is on a map, then it's not problem getting here, it's not far away from the station, there less chance to accidentally wander in and spread diseases.

More, I guess that if you can't be bothered to get through a few space tiles to get to some some pathology outpost close to the station and very close to where pathology would have been in the past, then you'd definitely not bother trying to understand pathology in the first place.

People who want to give a try at pathology will know where to find it. Sure the same can be said about the pathology lab in the debris field, but it takes (a bit) more preparation to get there, when you'd want to start straight away before the round ends.
Substation pathology would be massively preferable, considering pathogens have been recorded spreading through solid fucking walls
I don't understand the fear of the empty path lab, i've often broken in to drink all the samples and never had more than a cough.
If you make a jazz lounge it's gotta have at least one vial of path under a couch
Them there vials make some nasty near uncounterable/unfixable shit if ya get the right noggin in there