Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Give the CE something to defend themselves with
As of right now, the chief engineer is probably the most vulnerable of the heads of staff. While all heads of staff get a flash, the Captain and HOS get energy guns, the HOP can give themselves security access to load up on batons and tasers, the MD has the brain-damaging, stimulant-negating, mutation-removing tranquilizer rifle, and if you have played goonstation longer than five minutes you know what science is capable of. The only thing the CE has going for them, though, is that they can turn their insulated gloves into stun gloves, which only store one charge, stun for much less time then a baton or flash, and are always visible on your sprite, meaning they are only really good for making a getaway. Not quite on the same level as what the other heads of staff have?

My idea to let the CE hold their own in combat was to give them at roundstart a special pair of stun gloves that don't glow (so you can hide them under a firesuit or spacesuit), can hold multiple charges before needing to be recharged, and stun for as long as a baton or flash. This will make it so the CE can defend themselves against attackers like the other heads of staff.
a really big wrench
(03-03-2018, 01:32 AM)poland spring Wrote: a really big wrench

Like the one from ratchet and clank?
let them "unlock" the RCD with their ID so it can shoot shrapnel bullets at a cost of one charge per shot

that won't be abused at all
(03-02-2018, 07:59 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: My idea to let the CE hold their own in combat

That's not really what heads are for (bar HoS and Captain).
Although I'd be down for giving them something more inline with non-stun defence. Like a pepper spray that slightly blind/chokes/disorients.
...Add wires to insulated gloves, charge with power cell. Add power cell to the two flashes you get.
(03-03-2018, 09:04 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: ...Add wires to insulated gloves, charge with power cell.  Add power cell to the two flashes you get.

I put in the op why stungloves aren't useful for anything other than running away, and cell/flash assemblies burn out in one use, STILL don't stun through sunglasses, and sometimes there are times you want to stun someone without setting them on fire anyway(eg. helping security arrest someone or throwing an annoying person out of engineering).

As for the "heads of staff are not supposed to fight" arguement: The medical director starts with a tranquilizer rifle, the hop is a few clicks away from getting security access, and science is an issue for another thread. Unless the MD gets their rifle taken away, the hop loses the ability to give people security access, and science as a whole gets nerfed, then the CE is going to need something to bring them up to the same level as the others.
I dunno man, I guess I just disagree. I play CE a *LOT* and generally if I feel like I really need a weapon I just go make a toolbox full of pipebombs or a flamethrower or weaponize a pod etc. etc. etc.

The thing is all the tools a CE needs to make a variety of weapons are right there in department.
The thing is most craftable weapons like pipe bombs or flamethrowers are megalethal, the closest thing to a nonlethal makeshift weapon is a zip gun with .38 stun rounds, but that thing explodes way too often to be ever used. Sometimes you want to throw someone out of your department or bring them to security without turning them into a corpse first.
Flamethrower loaded with Cryostylane.
(03-03-2018, 10:00 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: Flamethrower loaded with Cryostylane.

Cryostylane puddles instantly freeze anyone who steps in it, and instantly refreezes them the moment they break out forever. I don't want to make an area impossible to pass until the janitor comes in with a floorbuffer. Plus flamethrowers are contraband and can't fit in backpacks so by carrying one you are just waiting to get beepskied.
A pocket securitron. That makes 10x more noise than Comrade Beepski.
Here's the thing, most good CEs stay in their department working on the engine and PTL whilst the entire fucking thing is just as hot as the sun if not hotter and completely on fire, and I don't know about you, but I'm not going to fucking go into engineering after someone if it is like that... Unless it's a case of singulo engine, in which case sure it's a bit problematic, but if someone starts chasing the CE, they could go near the singulo and watch the pursuer be blinded and sucked into the singulo, also any charged weapon would be effectively useless around the singularity.
CE is the only head I actively played. They're pretty much the forgotten head, which is kinda fine as a lot of time they're glued to the engine core.

Doesn't mean they couldn't use some swag. Rather than a weapon, I'd think something like a reskinned indysuit at roundstart would be enough (or too much, idk the current meta). CE's are generally expected to be the MacGyvers of the station. A big wrench sounds really neat though.
(03-03-2018, 12:52 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: CE is the only head I actively played. They're pretty much the forgotten head, which is kinda fine as a lot of time they're glued to the engine core.

Doesn't mean they couldn't use some swag. Rather than a weapon, I'd think something like a reskinned indysuit at roundstart would be enough (or too much, idk the current meta). CE's are generally expected to be the MacGyvers of the station. A big wrench sounds really neat though.

I feel like it would be a convenience and not overpowering seeing how I can take 2 minutes to visit the debris field and get everything I need for an indysuit anyhow.

A colour-flipped indiesuit (orange/yellow with black detailing) would be neat, stand out, and still look like engie gear.