Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Add stunguns for heads of staff
(03-02-2018, 01:38 AM)Prichard Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 04:08 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 03:13 PM)Prichard Wrote: If you spawn in at roundstart as MD and immediately get the gun, harner will be at the window. 

sounds like a good reason to not start the doctoring with "git gun" - and sounds like a very deliberate map design specifically to induce better behavior. 

for a community that admittedly agrees that vigilantism is no good, there's a very frequent push to legitimize 

I personally think it has almost no correlation at all to the kind of bad behavior you're talking about. Personally, I just like to empty the locker into my backpack even though I hardly use 90% of it

Admittedly it's just a gut feeling, but from memory most radio cries of "Oh no I'm being Harner'd" seem to be from new players whose first instinct when presented with a weapon in their locker is to strap-up and Schwarzenegger  the nearest valid. While that might work for a role like Cap whose entire job is to suck fat eggs and get mugged, I'd guess harner is there to deliver a hard lesson to the more responsible™ (in theory) heads. 
100% just my opinion and a very salty one at that, though.
(03-02-2018, 05:19 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 03:29 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Idea: because the MD has a tranq gun, the HOS and Captain start with energy guns, the hop can give themselves security access, and the RD has literally all of science to kill you with, give the stunguns to the CE only, or at least give the CE something better than a flash to deal with threats.

It's not like it's hard for CEs to make stun gloves.

Ah yes, stun gloves, the things that stun for less time then a flash, only hold one charge, and are very visible on your sprite as long as you wear them. A perfect method of self defense to match the MD's drug-negating traq rifle, RD's science, HOP's infinite tasers and stun batons, and the Captain and HOS's death rays.
I always thought the RCD was the CE's thing
(03-02-2018, 04:04 PM)Lord Birb Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 03:29 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Idea: because the MD has a tranq gun, the HOS and Captain start with energy guns, the hop can give themselves security access, and the RD has literally all of science to kill you with, give the stunguns to the CE only, or at least give the CE something better than a flash to deal with threats.

Ah yes, stun gloves, the things that stun for less time then a flash, only hold one charge, and are very visible on your sprite as long as you wear them. A perfect method of self defense to match the MD's drug-negating traq rifle, RD's science, HOP's infinite tasers and stun batons, and the Captain and HOS's death rays.

Never said it was comparable, but better for self defence than a flash, in my opinion, because, as you say, it's a visible deterrent and works on people with sunglasses.
(03-02-2018, 06:00 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 04:04 PM)Lord Birb Wrote:

Never said it was comparable, but better for self defence than a flash, in my opinion, because, as you say, it's a visible deterrent and works on people with sunglasses.

btw, gloves don't appear on your sprite if you have robotic arms!
I am gonna move this discussion to it's own thread, but for now I have this to say...
(03-02-2018, 04:49 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I always thought the RCD was the CE's thing

You mean the thing that also spawns in EVA for any of the other heads of staff to take, has a very limited supply of ammo, and is physically impossible to use as a weapon?
Who pissed in your cereal?
(03-02-2018, 07:42 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Who pissed in your cereal?

Sorry if I am being rude here. I am just trying to quickly explain my point as to why the CE needs something to protect themselves.
(03-02-2018, 08:06 PM)Lord Birb Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 07:42 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Who pissed in your cereal?

Sorry if I am being rude here. I am just trying to quickly explain my point as to why the CE needs something to protect themselves.

They do. They have flashes and stun gloves basically at round start. They have access to the means to build flamethrowers. They have access to crates in mining which contain weapons a decent amount of the time. They have access to QM for a near-infinite supply of flashes. They have access to a near-infinite supply of power-cells for making flash/cell assemblies. They can get industrial armor pretty quick if they're on the ball or get the loyalty of their miner/QM underlings.

This, combined with the fact that they're often spending a good chunk of their round in their domain (the engine), meaning that intruders are easy to identify, and honestly, they're pretty tough to robust.

They also have easy access to chemistry via the diner/Russian ship (or can just scan and make their own chem stuff in their office), so any head who feels like it can whip up a defensive chem. If anyone's lacking protection, it's the RD, unless they feel like sitting in telesci for a bit.

Anyway, this is getting off track.

TL;DR: I do not think the stun gun in this patch is the way to go at all. It's solving a problem that doesn't exist. If you have time to use the stun gun, you have time to use any of the other methods at your disposal.
"CE lacks enough self-defence" might be a little true, however I do not believe a new stun item is the right approach. Indulging this idea for a moment:
You are assualted and decide to stun the attacker, now what? You have no charges left and likely no means to incapacitate them. You either fight or flee. I'd choose to run; like my karate instructors keep telling me, the best defence is to not be there.
I do have an alternate suggestion. 'Pepper spray' that partially blinds/chokes/disorients someone instead of an outright stun.

EDIT: yeah like mordent said, this is off topic. Who'd do such a thing? Go post your crazy ideas here instead
(I posted a comment to the CE-Defense thread, so here's the more general answer)

I cannot see this being a good idea at all. We get enough problems of security having the guns knocked from their hands or just otherwise stolen without the Heads suffering the same abuse. And they WILL suffer the same abuse.
A one time stun is plenty of time to book it!