Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Security Tactics: A strategy guide
keep a calomel autoinjector on you as soon as you hear the word 'ling'

bug the MD for a hypo of perf

applies to any role really
If you get a patch box and open it up and put it in your pockets, you can pull patches directly out of it and insta-heal yourself. This is particularly good for synthflesh, since it cures all bleeding plus some brute and burns. If you have oxygen, you can survive a spacing with just patches. (Synthflesh + Perf patch is basically god mode)
(02-25-2018, 12:53 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: keep a calomel autoinjector on you as soon as you hear the word 'ling'
Calomel autoinjectors hold 5 units. Better than nothing, but you would want 6-7 units to purge all neuro.
(02-25-2018, 05:33 AM)Tombi Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 12:53 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: keep a calomel autoinjector on you as soon as you hear the word 'ling'
Calomel autoinjectors hold 5 units. Better than nothing, but you would want 6-7 units to purge all neuro.

Not confirmed in-game, but based on my experience and on a very quick skim of the code, this shouldn't be the case. They should hold 10, like all regular auto-injectors.

EDIT: I'm an idiot who doesn't read. Tombi is right!
Definitely always help out the good folk of the station, even for small things like "DOOR STUCK!" Typically if you end up in a snag, those you've helped out on the way will aid you in some way. Karma basically, y'know just keep a good reputation as one of the few dudes with actual authority.
(02-26-2018, 09:44 AM)TheTrixRabitt Wrote: "DOOR STUCK!"

(02-26-2018, 09:59 AM)Readster Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 09:44 AM)TheTrixRabitt Wrote: "DOOR STUCK!"

Not sure they'd appreciate that sort of help
My personal preference but I try to use flashes instead of a baton/taser whenever possible.
Just a little bit nicer of a stun (in that it doesn't cause stuttering and doesn't last as long), especially if they aren't a raving lunatic but are still resisting arrest to a degree.
My general survival tips for members of sec: Boxing gloves are Electricity resistant, which is a good thing when the AI decides you aren't human.
Always carry a fully filled Emergency tank, they come in handy when someone spaces you.
The Clown can be the most helpful or destructive member of the crew, keep that in mind if you pick on them.
There are many ways around the station that aren't as visible nor obvious as the main halls, keeping track of them can be the difference between catching an antag and losing them.
Disposal shoots are not to be underestimated, someone can easily hide in them, even if they are handcuffed.
IF you are the only sec on station, be suspicious of everyone, Sec access is hard to get and the number of staff assistants who would quite like to steal a taser or baton is high.
Go to medbay and get scanned quick, it helps deal with the inevitable murder that will happen to you.
Don't run with your weapon drawn unless you know they can't stun nor slip you.
Always keep a minimum of a Multitool, a screwdriver, and a crowbar on you, they help when someone steals your ID, the doors get bolted down, or the power inevitably goes out.
I like to play with my helmet off or changed to a different hat because it helps crew know that I'm 1. Not the same Sec officer who beat them up for stealing candy from medbay and 2. Helps people see me as more human and not just another cog in the Sec machine, making cooperation much more likely

I would not recommend doing this as chances are you're going to need your helmet to protect you from bullets, claws and doors
I strongly support sec fashion over safety. You can always keep your helmet and body armor in yr backpack for when things pop off.
I favour armored paramedic suits so I am still wearing armor (for all the good it usually does) but also reinforcing the "also a first responder" vibe I try to go for.
(02-25-2018, 05:33 AM)Tombi Wrote:

Oh, I guess I should also mention that I keep antitoxins to purge the rest, and I have the slow chemical trait.
Some habits of mine:
  • Use the gym workout benches/punching bags for minor stamina buffs
  • Response escalation: disarm -> flash -> stun baton -> taser
  • Carry an emergency donk-pocket (either microwave or use a heat source)
  • Use security cameras to check 'high risk' areas you do not have access to (toxins, engineering, ai)
Fun tip for heating donk pockets: if you for some reason lack a lighter/match/welding tool or whatever, you can drop the don't next to a light tube and then bash it, creating the needed heat from the sparks