Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sec Mind Wiper
Picked up some steam on the Sec thread so I thought id make it it's own thread (CtrlC + CtrlV)

The Mind Wiper. Only to be used against Antags and is only available to Sec (Not just HoS). This allows you to wipe the mind of any Antag (Not regular players) and will force them to play as a Miscreant/Regular along with their goals automatically failing unless they completed them. The Officer is then allowed to write a a backstory if they choose (Mainly for Goon1 but can also be used in Goon2 to enable fun) and if inserted, will Nerf any ID card entered back to it's original state. This will also count as the Antag being killed as to allow more to join. It is bolted to the ground and can't be moved, if destroyed a new one becomes available to the QM but is sent directly to Sec to prevent unfair placement of the device.

A lightly edited response to Almost Cool Cat (Harpenti)

The mind wiper would A. Be heavily restricted to willing Antags and Security so long as it's either approved by the Antag or he's marked for death (having spaced the captain and turned the detective into a fine pulp).
and B. Cause mostly non-mechanical changes in case of shitsec so they can be A-Helped.

Killing a friendly Antag should be illigal though if they're non human they may be subject to AI abuse.
Hm...

Maybe if it worked like a Sec mindslave, where instead of stripping their antag status, it made them loyal to Sec for the next 20 or so minutes, and makes this obvious to anyone with a SecHud.

Might even be useful on general shitheads fucking with Sec; pop one in an annoying greytider, make em apologize to everyone on the station for being born and give them an actual reason to fuck with Sec once it wears off.
(02-23-2018, 07:00 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Hm...

Maybe if it worked like a Sec mindslave, where instead of stripping their antag status, it made them loyal to Sec for the next 20 or so minutes, and makes this obvious to anyone with a SecHud.

Might even be useful on general shitheads fucking with Sec; pop one in an annoying greytider, make em apologize to everyone on the station for being born and give them an actual reason to fuck with Sec once it wears off.

Not a huge fan of this idea in general, but I like this idea a lot more than the OP one

A concern: Will deantaged people have protection against valid hunters?
I've done this before while playing sec by using traitors own mindslaved implants on them. Usually I think this does end with more fun for the traitor. However having it available easily is probably way too much, and I can tell you now id be tempted to overuse it. If this is done it needs to be hard to get to - somewhere like the Asylum perhaps. It should require the person inside to confirm they agree to the mind wipe (unless emagged). I think putting it here would also be a fun little thing for the crew to play with as well.
Forgive my impudence, but what is this trying to solve?

If it is aimed at:
 - full-on murder anatagonists it is just removing consequences. Commiting serious crimes to then be forgiven at the press of a button could encourage more of that 'murderboner' playstyle (which I dislike).
 - modest antags (killed 1 crew and stole a lot shoes) it might benefit them if they do not want to play antag anymore or be hounded by sec, although this seems like an exception.
 - gimmick antags it is unlikely to have changed much other than restrict their options.
 - an antagonists who didn't want to be one, why are they playing as an antagonist at all.

So overall, I do not understand the argument for implementing it.
In the context of the thread it was originally suggested in it made more sense.
For full-on murderboners, it gives an option that 100% neutralizes the threat without forcing you to space the perp, permabrig, or otherwise bore them to death while they wait 30 minutes for a chance to play.
For willing captures, it's a fun RP "rehabilitation" system.
For didn't-wanna-b-ones, well,
(02-23-2018, 12:13 PM)Tombi Wrote: why are they playing as an antagonist at all.
Latejoins, man. Kinda sucks to log on drunk as hell expecting to play with crayons for 20 min and be told now you're the only traitorous hunting amusement the crew's got for this dragged-on shift.
I do not think mass murders deserve that; what about the crew members who did not want to be dead and have to wait for cloning? I adamantly oppose ideas which encourage antags to kill everything because they can.
Also I was unaware latejoins were forced. Maybe they should be a user confirmation instead?
Late join and low population ignore the fact you have all antags off.

I like this idea personally, it opens up new ways to pacify an oranary crewmember and allows them the interact with the crew.  If they dont want to be mind wiped, they'll just make sure they can't.

As for the unfortunate crew that cannot be revived, such is life.  Medbay has many new methods of keeping you in the round, so forgoing the simple act of visiting us to get fucking scanned is really just bad planning.

The consequences of your actions should have multiple paths in my opinion, examples being - murder sprees can be stopped by murdering the lunatic, or by mind wiping, or the fact that currently without admin intervention, there are three ways to be revived.