Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Spell: Scribe Scroll!
My friends, it is time to bring Wizarding into the twenty-whateverith century. The rest of the station has updated methods of generating and hoarding wealth, why not wizards? Well, thanks to two very inventive other people, now they can. Or, will be able to, if someone decides to roll with this idea.

UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Captain_Bravo Wrote:I really wish you could take multiple copies of a spell to get multiple uses/cooldowns of it. While I know some people would just cheese the hell out of fireball or whatever, it would make my life goal of cluwning the entire station just a bit easier.
Spell: Scribe Scroll
Writes a 1-time use scroll of another spell you have. Has a long cooldown (60-100s), uses the other spell you are writing the scroll of (thus activating its cooldown, i.e., NOT a spell to use it the middle of combat for an extra cast) and the scrolls don't stack on top of each other.

Spend the first few minutes scribing scrolls of Clown's Revenge, so you have roughly 8 to use if you fill your remaining backpack/pocket slots wit them.

UrsulaMejor Wrote:The scrolls, like the teleport scroll, would be useable by anyone wearing robes. Maybe you could do a scroll-selling gimmick where you sell off robes and scrolls to the crew?
And, only now that I've made the post, do I realize Ursula was in fact both people.

Magic works in mysterious ways. v
And, only now that I've made the post, do I realize Ursula was in fact both people.

Magic works in mysterious ways. v
did magic make you post the same thing twice?
It's actually a neat idea yo
What's stopping a wizard from scribing up like 8 scrolls of fireball while on his shuttle, then popping in, spam-fireballing whatever poor Security Officers spot him first until they're blackened smudges on the floor, then teleporting back to his shuttle and starting the whole process again?

Not to mention that since these scrolls are independent of the spell's cooldown even the original idea of UM's post is broken as hell. That's basically the first 9 people you meet cluwned, right then and there.

Oh god, shocking grasp, blind, pandemonium...

It's a neat idea, but it took me like two seconds to think of a ton of ways to completely break the game with it. You can make the argument that people will call the shuttle while you're waiting ages to let your spells recharge from the scribing process, but they won't realize they need to do that until you do it the first time and you'd only really need to do it once or twice, tops, and by then all of Security could be blackened skeletons. Not to mention the anti-early call measures during wizard rounds, and the possibility of multiple wizards doing this...
Yeah it's a neat idea, but as the guy before me said, it's easily broken.

Maybe limit how many scrolls you can make? idk
I would gladly propose that the game be broken for an unrelenting stream of rapid-fire cluwnings. Maybe just the once.
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:What's stopping a wizard from scribing up like 8 scrolls of fireball while on his shuttle, then popping in, spam-fireballing whatever poor Security Officers spot him first until they're blackened smudges on the floor, then teleporting back to his shuttle and starting the whole process again?

Not to mention that since these scrolls are independent of the spell's cooldown even the original idea of UM's post is broken as hell. That's basically the first 9 people you meet cluwned, right then and there.

Oh god, shocking grasp, blind, pandemonium...

It's a neat idea, but it took me like two seconds to think of a ton of ways to completely break the game with it. You can make the argument that people will call the shuttle while you're waiting ages to let your spells recharge from the scribing process, but they won't realize they need to do that until you do it the first time and you'd only really need to do it once or twice, tops, and by then all of Security could be blackened skeletons. Not to mention the anti-early call measures during wizard rounds, and the possibility of multiple wizards doing this...

My suggested fix is to require it to be done on top of a stack of paper, and you need to be holding a pen. It would use 5-10 (random) sheets of paper per scroll. You need to remain immobile the whole time. This would require the wizard to make a paper run in order to start scribing scrolls. After that, the crew will know what's up and begin to fly into a panick. The spell is paper intensive, meaning that frequent trips will be necessary.

Also, make the scrolls medium or large-classed items. I'm thinking about 2-3 scrolls available at a time.

And there you go. I think that's pretty balanced.
I just checked how many sheets of paper are in one box because I am a gigantic nerd. It's 30. 31 sheets on the shuttle if you count the note from his dad, the janitor.

Assuming 5-10 sheets randomly used per casting, bad luck would get him 3, and if he was supernaturally lucky he could get up to 6, so the average would be around 4-5 scrolls. Making it so he can only carry two or three at a time sort of helps but 3-4 fireballs (1 cast, 2-3 scrolls) is still enough to basically vaporize the first person he sees. It's also 3 or 4 cluwned/shocking grasped people. And that's just assuming he DOESN'T use them as "emergency supplies" that let him bounce back when the crew is about to get him, as opposed to just unleashing them all on the first crowd he meets.

Considering that there are 3 or 4 people on the average Sec team, I'm still going to have to say it just doesn't work, cool as it admittedly is. If you nerf the idea any farther than you already have it be enough of a pain in the ass that it wouldn't really be worth taking, but as it stands it's a pretty overwhelming candidate for an always-pick spell, and not because it's funny.

also yes i hate fun, why do you ask
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:I just checked how many sheets of paper are in one box because I am a gigantic nerd. It's 30. 31 sheets on the shuttle if you count the note from his dad, the janitor.

Assuming 5-10 sheets randomly used per casting, bad luck would get him 3, and if he was supernaturally lucky he could get up to 6, so the average would be around 4-5 scrolls. Making it so he can only carry two or three at a time sort of helps but 3-4 fireballs (1 cast, 2-3 scrolls) is still enough to basically vaporize the first person he sees. It's also 3 or 4 cluwned/shocking grasped people. And that's just assuming he DOESN'T use them as "emergency supplies" that let him bounce back when the crew is about to get him, as opposed to just unleashing them all on the first crowd he meets.

Considering that there are 3 or 4 people on the average Sec team, I'm still going to have to say it just doesn't work, cool as it admittedly is. If you nerf the idea any farther than you already have it be enough of a pain in the ass that it wouldn't really be worth taking, but as it stands it's a pretty overwhelming candidate for an always-pick spell, and not because it's funny.

also yes i hate fun, why do you ask
I think that you underestimate the amount of time and effort that would take. Also, I was not aware that there was a paper-bin on the shuttle. Just simply remove it. The whole point of requiring paper is that you give people 6 minutes or so so prepare for a scrolled-up wizard since they'll see you pop in and steal a paper bin.

I also thing you overestimate the power of having 3 of one spell. Remember, as a scroll, you don't have access to the right-click option. It would manually open up a window that you'd have to select a name from. This would be a considerable drawback in the middle of a crowded fight. Not to mention the fact that you blow 5 minutes worth of work in 3 seconds if you do it right.

So what. You take the spell and murdervaporize the first guy you see? Fine. Now you gotta spend another 5 minutes doing it again.

So that's not what people are going to do. THey're going to save the spells in reserve to extend their combat possibilities or to make cluwne gimmicks easier. I think it's fairly balanced.

And remember, it takes up a spell slot of its own. That's one less option, which means you become extremely FOCUSED upon 2 or 3 other spells. If you want the soulguard enchantment, which is a must-have if you're taking fireball, you have only 2 spells to actually cast.

And remember, if you get stripped down and your scrolls manage to get taken, that means that even if you soulguard away, you might be facing a robed demi-wizard weilding your own cluwne spell. How cool would it be to see a wizard be executed by his own scroll?!
I admit that I haven't been a wizard since like last year so I was unaware they could right click to cast to begin with, although now that I think about it I guess I do remember seeing that spellcasting mode thing in Wizard VR. The thing is, I actually checked when I was examining a paper bin earlier to check its contents, and so far as I could tell it's not possible to put it in your backpack, even via click-dragging. Removing the bin from his shuttle to "balance" the spell would force him to cast it on the station, at which point you're sacrificing safety, a spell slot, time, inventory space, and one casting of the spell, all to cast it once later via the amazing and not at all infuriating mid-battle popup window.The idea is really neat and I like it but there's just too many problems it would cause.

But honestly I'm getting tired of feeling like I'm crapping all over an idea that might be good and I'm just completely overthinking it or something, so I'll stop popping in with these dumb rebuttals now.
You can pick up paper bins.
[Image: MEN3vIg.png]
Anyone remember Kubius and laserdog?