Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
"Bob's server thoughts and questions and ideas."
So I am here to ask um, wh.. no,.. like.. so I had this idea for a server that wouldn't have a round end like.. so I wanted to know what would happen on a server that , essentially would be maybe persistent, at least somewhat. If that were possible, and how it could be done if it were possible. The cryo storage seems like it might be a solution to some things, though I do not know so much about the game to know everything I don't think. But, I just was thinking of the fun that might be had, because there is a bit of ability to the game where one can kind of rebuild a station and stuff. Some have said that Goon once had a server that was something called "Construction Mode"? I might not remember exactly what they said. But they said that this was like a server where the round never would seem to end. Though I think I heard about it and it might not have included humans? I was also thinking, just random ideas, the ideas being, this hypothetical server, having no formal rules... Might be too destructive to be fun, but I really am not sure... and having humans on it to play as, it could include the features from the RP server with what are they called... motivations?... I forget. The things like having to eat and drink and go to the bathroom and be clean in some way, and that might help to give things a sort of order, and then having that order of course would have something for players to want to disrupt, but you know.. We could just think about it, I don't know probably the first thing about setting up a server, so... Not sure if like, how much the game can handle. you know... but I would still maybe be interested in seeing. Right... so yeah... thank you for your time...

Oh and sleep was also a motivation too, forgot that one there.
this would be simpler to read and digest if it were broken up more into separate paragraphs
Yes. That may be correct.
Should I do that?
There was a construction server at one point. I popped in a few times but it never drew me in.

Idea was anyone could build, add on, rearrange, or take apart the station from scratch. Whole thing ended up a big patchwork mess.

There were also waves of hostile NPC drones to occasionally deal with.

I think it was overall a neat concept, but it didn't quite jive with everyone and suffered the same population problems the roleplay server does.

My two cents on a continuous station/ship is that it'll eventually lose steam. SS13 is fundamentally a game about chaos and watching things break apart. Everyone loves knocking over dominoes, but it's not as fun settims them back up again, so that's why we have round restarts

There was talk of taking adding away missions to the role-play server and having more of the player vs environment elements the construction one did. That could sorta fit what you're thinking of, but I'm sure resets will happen
One thing I was speculating on was how not having any direction might have it not interest people, and then I thought that the motivations might make players pursue something. Right... they are called motivations... yes sir.

But then you come to a point where it might not mean anything... and I guess round endings are where that might be provided for for some players, right? It provides an end to the story. In theory.... I am not sure what I am talking or saying right now...

Maybe for some players, there might be not ENOUGH to repair even... And the persistence, if possible, would give them like, ways of salvaging stuff, and all sorts, and the anarchy might make fights happen and alliances... and like... the ever changing environment like... man... Just don't know.. I tend to mention Rust when I am talking about this idea, maybe just as like something to relate to in a sort of similarity, but the games are very different when you think about them. So.. yep.
Is anybody at all interested in this idea? Do I need to try to break things up into separate paragraphs?
(02-22-2018, 04:37 AM)Bob Wrote: Do I need to try to break things up into separate paragraphs?

You do. 
You absolutely do. 
Instead of carrying your post like a, uhm, y'know .... like a uh, a conversation, but like um, really full of uh .... filler and pauses? 

- Itemise your ideas 
- Write clearly
- Outline your major points and features.

AND THEN discuss what it is you're talking about. 
People don't need, uhm, y'know... like um  -Just say it.
Conversational English has NO PLACE in text other than in fiction. Never use it!
I'm interested in giving Construction mode a try, if only to see how a super long, persistent round would play out.
I was just talking like how I was thinking. I don't think it separated pieces. At least not with this idea.

"So I am here to ask um, wh.. no,.. like..

so I had this idea for a server that wouldn't have a round end

like..

so I wanted to know what would happen on a server that , essentially would be maybe persistent, at least somewhat. If that were possible, and how it could be done if it were possible.

The cryo storage seems like it might be a solution to some things, though I do not know so much about the game to know everything I don't think.

But, I just was thinking of the fun that might be had, because there is a bit of ability to the game where one can kind of rebuild a station and stuff.

Some have said that Goon once had a server that was something called "Construction Mode"? I might not remember exactly what they said. But they said that this was like a server where the round never would seem to end. Though I think I heard about it and it might not have included humans?

I was also thinking, just random ideas, the ideas being, this hypothetical server, having no formal rules... Might be too destructive to be fun, but I really am not sure...

and having humans on it to play as, it could include the features from the RP server with what are they called... motivations?... I forget. The things like having to eat and drink and go to the bathroom and be clean in some way,

and that might help to give things a sort of order,

and then having that order of course would have something for players to want to disrupt, but you know..

We could just think about it, I don't know probably the first thing about setting up a server, so... Not sure if like, how much the game can handle. you know...

but I would still maybe be interested in seeing. Right... so yeah... thank you for your time...

Oh and sleep was also a motivation too, forgot that one there."

Lies... all LIES!

A lot of my first experiences with Space Station 13 were on the RP server alone late at night where the power was turning off because the round had been going a long time, and I had to try to figure out ways to deal with it. Mostly because I didn't know of ways to deal with it at the time...

I don't understand what the purpose of separating things is. They are separated by punctuation.
So you want to try out Construction mode with Motives?

(02-22-2018, 04:50 PM)Superlagg Wrote: I'm interested in giving Construction mode a try, if only to see how a super long, persistent round would play out.

Course I seem to remember someone saying that Construction mode doesn't work anymore. Or never worked. One of those. If so, well, shit.
My original idea was anarchical, but whatever. Don't know what construction mode exactly is.
bob we're not asking you to put blank lines between your rambling run-on sentences, we're asking you to state them without rambling.

Just list the features of your idea.
bullet points.
do not use "um"
do not use "like...."
do not write like you think.
write like an instruction manual.
I mean... couldn't you do that? Hahah. But I feel like I don't know enough about the game so that maybe if I tried to do that it might have holes in it.