Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
More dynamic smoke
Smoke grenades and powder have one kind of area of effect.

I propose, we borrow from liquids, and have a more dynamic smoke affect that originates from a source, occupies a tile, and spreads out as that tile becomes too full. Smoke would eventually go away on it's own at different rates of dissipation

Smoke would have three main properties
  • Generation rate - how quickly smoke is created from the source
  • Thickness - how many units of smoke can be held on a single tile
  • Dissipation rate - How quickly smoke dissolves into the air
One thing I think a system like this could involve is different smoke behavior based on the source and substance of the smoke mix

For instance, you could create smoke bombs that we're maximized to have a lingering effect by lowering the dissipation rate while have a large thickness, or lower the thickness down and increase the generation rate to maximize spread over an area.

Smoke should, I also believe, become a larger factor in fires. When materials are ignited, smoke could be released based on the substance being burned.
YES YES YES YES
MORE NUANCED CHEM
MORE FINE TUINING AND OPTIMISATION
YES
Addendum: When smoke carries additional chems, how many until it holds is directly related to thickness of the tile

So, passing through a styptic powder smoke cloud with 10 thickness puts 10 units of styptic, but 20 thickness hold 20 units of styptic.

Those units transfer along with the smoke when maximum thickness is surpassed on the tile
I like this idea; it creates an interesting strategy for chemsmoke beyond "this much smoke powder for a cloud this size". You have a lot more legitimate, valid options: you can make a hellsmoke that trades off range for maximum helldeath or one that goes really far but is much less deadly, and control how long each will affect the person in the cloud. These tradeoffs could actually give some real depth to chemistry.
while yeah this is good, how likely is it that it will grind the server to a halt
(02-17-2018, 04:29 PM)locusts Wrote: while yeah this is good, how likely is it that it will grind the server to a halt
That I am not sure about. Fluids seem to handle well enough, but they don't tick down, so that's probably the sticking point that would need to be worked with or around
Thinking about it, you could potentially just give the entire reaction a built in lifespan, so that the whole thing dissapates all at once
Doooo iiiiiit

Op Chems could be incapable of becoming gas and would blow up in your face
So different stuff would burn differently and have different smoke huh

Neat

Also smoke should be worse for you
(02-17-2018, 07:44 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Smoke should, I also believe, become a larger factor in fires. When materials are ignited, smoke could be released based on the substance being burned.

[Flashbacks to server-crashing recursive cheese smoke]
(05-03-2018, 06:12 PM)poland spring Wrote: So different stuff would burn differently and have different smoke huh

Neat

Also smoke should be worse for you

I wrote this thread before crawling was a thing, but as long as smoke isn't too thick, crawling under it could be a way to avoid bad smoke effects
Wait there's crawling? Do you mean abusing the sleep key or actual crawling on the ground?
(05-04-2018, 04:31 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Wait there's crawling? Do you mean abusing the sleep key or actual crawling on the ground?

Hit rest, and then when you're on the ground move around
I didn't know you could do that, cool!
(05-04-2018, 04:59 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I didn't know you could do that, cool!

Yeah, it was implemented pretty recently.