Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ideas of Questionable Quality: Security Edition
(03-08-2018, 10:33 AM)Technature Wrote: Rewarding people for playing security shouldn't be a thing though?  I'm all for giving people a reason to security but if you have to bribe people, those people are gonna be less likely to be decent security.  Less than decent security tend to be less than friendly, especially when it comes to valid hunting, and that will only lead to people hating security harder which is something I'd really like to not have happen.

I know spacebux is cosmetic money but there are people that care about it who will, at best, log into security, hide for the round, then go on the shuttle and hope nothing kills them.

Agreed. Reward people for playing security by making it a more enjoyable job to play, not by bribing them with spacebux. Even small things like the new helmets, uniforms and checkpoint scanners go a surprisingly long way in making the job more interesting/enjoyable.
Then just disregard the part about spacebux and the suggestion still holds.

It wasn't even supposed to be a significant amount, just a small bonus that only amounts to anything in the long run.
And if the only issues would be people hiding away just for I don't know 10 bonus space bux (given if they ended the round alive in the escape shuttle), then just warn them there's going to be consequences if this keeps happening ? I don't think you're going to have shitler security officers for 10 damn space bux when they can shit up another job that pays more and asks less from them.

The whole "it's going to be abused and turned upside down" argument for this kind of things would only make sense if there was no moderation on the server, but there is.

BUT anyway, just get rid of that part of the suggestion and let making the station safer be its own reward.
Yeah I really don't think anyone is going to go brain-dead as security just so they can get a couple hundred extra space bucks. And if they do they can just be job banned. A little bonus would be a nice thing for players who pick probably the most stressful role on the station.

And fwiw, I think the only reason security isn't viewed as enjoyable to play is because frequently you are alone as a sec officer. I have my most fun in SS13 when I'm on a team of 4-5 competent sec officers who are all communicating well. The problem is that is such a rare occurrence.
Department specific security has been brought up a few times now, might be a good idea to have some off-duty sec on station working on other parts of the ship. This would let people who wanna go turbo geneticist to do so without taking away from the sec pool (2 per department max counting as a separate role than regular Sec)
(03-08-2018, 03:00 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Department specific security has been brought up a few times now, might be a good idea to have some off-duty sec on station working on other parts of the ship. This would let people who wanna go turbo geneticist to do so without taking away from the sec pool (2 per department max counting as a separate role than regular Sec)

I mentioned this before, but a way to assign yourself to an area as Sec and getting more access there would be nice. Some little color coded badges, armbands, or sashes would make nice decoration to distinguish yourself too
Thinking on it, I feel that "off-duty sec/station militia" would work best not as something you could choose, but rather, with so many people asking about requiring x number of sec officers a round, that if there aren't enough officers at roundstart it would assign random non-antagonist crew who do not have security set to unwanted as off-duty security, getting a slightly different uniform and security access in addition to whatever their job is.
Eg: if we assume that we require 1 security officer per 10 crew, and there are 30 crew with 2 security officers, then it will pick one person who meets the above criteria as off-duty security.
Quick Note: This is a "throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks" type of thread, if your idea gets popularity and seems reasonable make it into a new thread (ie. Off Duty/ Department based Sec)
(03-08-2018, 05:58 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Thinking on it, I feel that "off-duty sec/station militia" would work best not as something you could choose, but rather, with so many people asking about requiring x number of sec officers a round, that if there aren't enough officers at roundstart it would assign random non-antagonist crew who do not have security set to unwanted as off-duty security, getting a slightly different uniform and security access in addition to whatever their job is.
Eg: if we assume that we require 1 security officer per 10 crew, and there are 30 crew with 2 security officers, then it will pick one person who meets the above criteria as off-duty security.

Hey guess what, that's an excellent way to do that.
(03-09-2018, 05:40 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 05:58 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Thinking on it, I feel that "off-duty sec/station militia" would work best not as something you could choose, but rather, with so many people asking about requiring x number of sec officers a round, that if there aren't enough officers at roundstart it would assign random non-antagonist crew who do not have security set to unwanted as off-duty security, getting a slightly different uniform and security access in addition to whatever their job is.

Hey guess what, that's an excellent way to do that.

I like it, make it a thread Birb!
Two ideas:

1.  Panic Buttons - Little button kiosks placed around the station at key locations. Pressing them alerts Sec PDA's, makes an alarmm noise, and flashes lights.
  2. Department weapon caches - Little locked boxes that contain specialty tasers available to the public. To open the box, you have to place your ID card inside it where it stays stored until the taser is returned. The tasers are tied to the box they came from, and can only be recharged by being placed back in their own box. Removing a taser Pings Sec PDA's, while also taking a photo of the person opening it that can be removed from the box by a Sec ID