Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ideas of Questionable Quality: Security Edition
(02-22-2018, 09:47 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Imagine you're a perma brigged player. Are you going to keep playing the game? Probably not. You're way more likely to just suicide and spectate, or if you're like me and you've got limited recreational time and you don't feel like spending a half hour watching other people have fun, you'll just close out byond and do something else for the rest of the day
Same thing with permanently dead people? I get it. It's taboo on this server. It's important to note that I'm only talking about failed (read: caught) indiscriminate murderers.

I stopped playing antags long ago because of how lopsided it is. Right of first attack, element of surprise, enormous resources, soft security... it's like a fish-in-a-barrel simulator where we take turns shooting.

The 'this again...' feeling is actually the reason for my current absence. I never said anything because I treat it as being jaded and overexposed. I don't wanna complain about the server not being what it once was when it never really was any different - just more people which made for more varied interactions.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having a permanent solution for someone. What I'm saying is them sitting alone in a room without being able to see or hear anything going on during the game is a really, REALLY, boring one.

I WOULD rather be permanently dead in a round because then I could actually watch the round

The brig is for timeouts and role-playing.

Murder, borging, or banishment is for dealing with someone you don't want to bother with anymore

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered ghost drones and critters, so even then there's more to do when you're dead than when you're in a cell
How about special electropack which shocks the wearing when attempting conventional harming methods. Throw a timer on it that effectively turns it into a standard electropack. My first thought was to allow community service without having to babysit the offender, but I suppose you could 'assign' a prisoner to be an assistant to someone. Then after the timer expires they could either ask sec or their peer to remove it for them. The harm restriction might work similarly to ghost drones.
(02-23-2018, 12:43 PM)Tombi Wrote: How about special electropack which shocks the wearing when attempting conventional harming methods. Throw a timer on it that effectively turns it into a standard electropack. My first thought was to allow community service without having to babysit the offender, but I suppose you could 'assign' a prisoner to be an assistant to someone. Then after the timer expires they could either ask sec or their peer to remove it for them. The harm restriction might work similarly to ghost drones.

You can kinda do this with just a regular ole electropack and some planning.

Set it to a frequency, then give a signaller to their handler and you keep one yourself. They act out one of you can shock em.

Would be nice if electropacks had more options, like a lock and timer for removal, or a proximity based thing where the shocks are delivered if they stray from an area
One idea for electropacks I saw a while ago: Make them also work like regular backpacks in addition to their current effect, but they shock you if you try to put contraband in them.
(02-22-2018, 05:42 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having a permanent solution for someone. What I'm saying is them sitting alone in a room without being able to see or hear anything going on during the game is a really, REALLY, boring one.

I WOULD rather be permanently dead in a round because then I could actually watch the round

Murder, borging, or banishment is for dealing with someone you don't want to bother with anymore

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered ghost drones and critters, so even then there's more to do when you're dead than when you're in a cell
I can just suicide if I don't have a backup plan. That gives me all of the options you described, plus the being alive one if I have an escape method. I know it's unlike me I'm gonna have to roll with raw logic. You can chalk it up to difference of opinion if you want. You have the popular one, afterall.

I admit borging and zoning are preferable, but they aren't sec-native solutions so I count them as happy little extras. If we're gonna be all handholdy then sec is gonna need better permanent solutions than death.
(02-23-2018, 05:29 PM)Vitatroll Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 05:42 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:

I can just suicide if I don't have a backup plan. That gives me all of the options you described, plus the being alive one if I have an escape method. I know it's unlike me I'm gonna have to roll with raw logic. You can chalk it up to difference of opinion if you want. You have the popular one, afterall.

I admit borging and zoning are preferable, but they aren't sec-native solutions so I count them as happy little extras. If we're gonna be all handholdy then sec is gonna need better permanent solutions than death.

Unless they do any of the several things it's within Sec's power to do that make you physically unable to commit suicide. Yes, that's a thing. Yes, it's not actually all that hard to do. Yes, people can and will do that, and will do it fairly often.
Extension to that updated centcom report idea a few pages back: Why not include some antag objectives?
Objectives ought to be anonymous for obvious reasons.
Then you could do some planning around certain objectives. Like assign an officer to an assassination target or stake-out in the captain's quarter waiting for someone to steal his bonsai tree. Not sure how this would be handled for each antag type, but could synergise well if objectives gave a reward for completing them.
(02-26-2018, 03:50 PM)awfulworldkid Wrote: Unless they do any of the several things it's within Sec's power to do that make you physically unable to commit suicide. Yes, that's a thing. Yes, it's not actually all that hard to do. Yes, people can and will do that, and will do it fairly often.

[Citation incredibly needed]
Literally the only thing I can think of is if they give you neurotoxin constantly. Considering security lacks access to anywhere that makes this, I don't see it happening.
(02-26-2018, 11:19 PM)Technature Wrote: Literally the only thing I can think of is if they give you neurotoxin constantly. Considering security lacks access to anywhere that makes this, I don't see it happening.

I think security was given access to chemistry a while ago. Can't blame anyone who didn't notice though, id card access is an enigma without id computer access.
If I recall correctly (which I might not), the straitjacket makes you unable to commit suicide.
How can a straitjacket prevent you from holding your breath?

That's...that's just dumb.
(02-28-2018, 11:21 PM)Technature Wrote: How can a straitjacket prevent you from holding your breath?

That's...that's just dumb.

Yet mustering the willpower to asphyxiate yourself is not? smilie with a protruding tongue
Sure, but it's funny dumb.