Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.45 Average
make HoS non exclusive to mentors
It's split from mentor now. It's also a lot more relaxed, it's just few apply. Unless you want the weekend/friday-HoS thing to be non-mentor (I never discerned that), in which case I don't see a problem in our zeitgeist.
I don't apply due to anxiety. Also I suck at robusting.
I was about to say this should be moved to good ideas, but then I realized the actual original post suggested that HoS effectively be de-whitelisted entirely rather than just separated from mentor status.
Bam made a Deputy thread. For giving Armory access and keeping the HoS a "cool guys only" role
I still think it would be just fine to automatically unlock hos for people after 50 rounds as security. Anyone super shitty can be job banned before they hit hos by watching them for 50 rounds.
I'm a bit iffy on round/time requirements as those can and will be cheesed.

Just 'allow' admins to whitelist good sec. There could even be some board (restricted viewing, like exploits sub) where you could suggest that such-and-such to get watched for whitelisting.
I like it, might pair well with the current system
Gonna bump this because I still think it'd be a good idea to either open it up for all mentors or maybe put it behind a time played thingy (like what Fire was thinking last year)- we definitely could use more HoSes to deal with new security officers.

It's not a high skill job but I think this will keep cops a little more grounded- when new officers join without seeing somebody they report to directly they could often be, as we've seen, shit.

Our pop isn't dying down for a while. The tide is here to stay. Let's adapt
I think the HoS' job is to ensure that sec is not being shit and follow Space Law: I think the whitelist should stay.
Quote:Our pop isn't dying down for a while. The tide is here to stay. Let's adapt 

To the contrary, I think now more than ever the HoS job needs to remain whitelisted. There needs to be a baseline at which new players (not brand new, they shouldn't be picking sec) who venture into security know how to base their behavior off. Having some screwball there reduces the already shaken trust security had in whole. 

This is not an elitist attitude, because quite frankly I am of also of the attitude there should be more HoS. I think the 40/50 sec rounds played should give a pop up that states something along the lines like "hey! You! You've played a lot of sec. Have you considered applying for HoS? See (link) for details" and softly guide more players to picking HoS. Not only will this mean more HoS players, but it will also shine a spotlight on sec who think they're shithot but need a reality check.
I wouldn't mind having people capable of being mentors becoming HoS, maybe just make it easier for Mentors to get the HoS whitelist, along with pushing them with notifications to apply.

Also as a note for Admins/Coders, maybe another good idea would to, if you see someone who you think has the stuff for it, ask them if they'd like to be bumped up to mentor/HoS. Maybe create a secret discord thread for debating people who have yet to ask but look worthy.

P.S. I am not worthy, in any way shape or form.
^^^
This also isn't a bad idea. I'm not down for removing the whitelist, but reforming the application process in which admins can enable as they see fit should be looked at imo
HoS is fine as it is. We literally only have one whitelist and that is HoS. New sec players don't care if there is an HoS they will just go do their thing and if someone wants to take charge of sec when there is no HoS well then that player should play as security officer and take charge. There is no rule saying you can't lead sec while being a normal sec officer.
The HoS app is easy as it is. Fucking hell even I did it and passed. I started playing in 2012 and I did my HoS app in 2013 and I was approved pretty quickly. Its not hard. It just takes some of your time to write 600 words. As long as people know who you are they will say yes, unless you are shit and if you are shit thats why the app is there and why the HoS whitelist is there in the first place.
I definitely feel we need more HoS/security in general, but I think pushing mentors to play HoS isn't the way to go. Honestly just playing HoS/Security/NTSO while we have it and seeing who does well and recommending they apply is one of the best ways to get more HoS players. "Hey there, you're a good security officer, you should apply to be a HoS I'd 100% recommend you" goes a long way.

If I had to suggest a couple things about the HoS app it would be this:
1. Lower the word requirement. Word requirements are stupid and don't prove you are a good security member, only that you can type a lot of pretty words. While I understand having a basic word requirement so you don't get single word apps, 300 words is absurd.
2. Having at least one recommendation should be a requirement. Maybe even  having a recommendation from HoS, Mentors, or Admins shouldn't be required. If a decent player says "hey X plays security really well and maybe should be a HoS" that should count FAR more than  "i can type lots of filler words in my paragraph of text"
3. Make it more obvious that you can become a head of security. Maybe even an in game item in security with a link to the application forum.
The people that really want to play HoS will have applied for the position. We have lots of mentors that could be applying for HoS but they have not so I assume they just don't want to be HoS? Who knows.

Also word requirements are just there to filter those that don't follow the rules. Same with the template. Also it's not 300 words. Its 600 for HoS.

Having at least a recommendation from one HoS/Admin would be nice though and if that was the case I could see the word requirement toned down.

Im pretty sure most people know you have to apply for HoS and if they don't know that then they probably haven't been here long enough to BE HoS.