Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Spilling
(02-14-2018, 02:16 PM)Eibel Wrote: Recently I found how easy it is to create deathchems I can't save you from (and I'm still trying to find a way to save people from them) relatively easily using basic chemicals

To me, that's quite crazy

I agree with john warcrimes, however chemistry should not be bogged down with tiny nuances that cause no one but abosulte nerds to want to touch as shown by pathology's fate.

The problem with Pathology is that it's got a brick-wall learning curve where it's obnoxiously complex to even get to step 1- and the rest is dumb luck. 
Chem has the potential to be actually balanced. If making stabilised smoke powder wasn't a 6 click operation, you might see slightly fewer deathsmokes. If sarin took more than "muh sekrit formular" to make, it might not be an instant win. As it is, the system seems to expect those in the know not to abuse it, but they do, because it was designed to be abused by those in the know, against those out of the loop. Chem is powerful and cool and great but there's very little challenge beyond memorizing recipes, there's no grind to perform, and theres rarely a difference between producing a worldflood of poison and just 1 vial. 

At least if reactions weren't instant, it might be more interesting- Like gas bomb making & hellburning, there's optimisation to perform.
(02-15-2018, 12:50 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 02:16 PM)Eibel Wrote: Recently I found how easy it is to create deathchems I can't save you from (and I'm still trying to find a way to save people from them) relatively easily using basic chemicals

To me, that's quite crazy

I agree with john warcrimes, however chemistry should not be bogged down with tiny nuances that cause no one but abosulte nerds to want to touch as shown by pathology's fate.

The problem with Pathology is that it's got a brick-wall learning curve where it's obnoxiously complex to even get to step 1- and the rest is dumb luck. 
Chem has the potential to be actually balanced. If making stabilised smoke powder wasn't a 6 click operation, you might see slightly fewer deathsmokes. If sarin took more than "muh sekrit formular" to make, it might not be an instant win. As it is, the system seems to expect those in the know not to abuse it, but they do, because it was designed to be abused by those in the know, against those out of the loop. Chem is powerful and cool and great but there's very little challenge beyond memorizing recipes, there's no grind to perform, and theres rarely a difference between producing a worldflood of poison and just 1 vial. 

At least if reactions weren't instant, it might be more interesting- Like gas bomb making & hellburning, there's optimisation to perform.

The best way to balance chem might be just to look at real world chemistry. Reactions take time, might need catalysts if they aren't naturally spontaneous, and there's a lot more to chemistry than just mixing two liquids in a beaker. Precipitants, chemical equilibriums, electrolysis, plenty to work with to add some depth and complexity beyond "click certain buttons and instantly be handed really dire chemicals"
(02-17-2018, 06:45 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: The best way to balance chem might be just to look at real world chemistry. Reactions take time, might need catalysts if they aren't naturally spontaneous, and there's a lot more to chemistry than just mixing two liquids in a beaker. Precipitants, chemical equilibriums, electrolysis, plenty to work with to add some depth and complexity beyond "click certain buttons and instantly be handed really dire chemicals"

exactly this. 
chem is currently just lego area denial
make it actual craftsy shit
(02-17-2018, 10:30 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: lego area denial

[Image: lego-min.jpg?w=500&ssl=1]

¿Que?
lol, i meant it as in Area-Denial that's as simple as putting two pieces together.
4 clicks and hey you can't step near this dispenser for the 15 or so seconds it takes to dissipate