Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Spilling
Something I've noticed people taking about lately is how to make chemistry not so overpowered. Seems like a can of worms, seeing as how much stuff relies on chems, but I had a general idea about changing the way chems are carried.

Basically, any open container of liquid, be it a beaker, glass, or watering can, should have a chance to spill it's contents if you're running or sprinting while carrying it. Around 5 to 10 units each time. 

Walking will prevent that from happening. However, slipping will make you spill the whole thing.

Both occur whether you're holding the container or you have it in your backpack.

Closed containers, like bottles or fuel tanks are unaffected
I like this idea. Seems like an amazing way to nerf artbeakers yet still have them be useful. I would also suggest that if you slip and spill everything it applies the contents to you. Thatll teach you all to run around with a tank of sarin in your hands.
Ah yes, this'll teach those pesky scientists who spend their days running around this OSHA compliant space station to be thoughtful while carrying those beakers full of poison boom-boom chemicals. Jokes aside, I do like this idea. Too often have I gotten away with running around and splashing beakers of ClF3 on unsuspecting staff assistants. I desire consequences!
uhh... no this seems like an unnecessary pain in the butt and honestly i just don’t want to have to worry about something as tedious as how i’m storing chemicals especially the in the backpack thing
Just shove a detonator mechanism into your beaker full of deathchems. Problem solved.
I'm thinking it can be countered by putting it in a box (because...you know...practically made for it).
This would make people leave the server.
I sure hope this'd lead to the Barman serving his drinks in a series of sippy cups.

I'd more prefer something that separates "container" chemholders from "payload" chemholders. There's not much difference between a beaker and a glass when it comes to holding stuff, and the glass might even be more useful, since even though it doesnt fit in a chem dispenser, it splashes its contents on impact and isnt liable to dump everything on the floor with a misclick.

Though, this whole thread is about trying to bring some balance to chemnerds, hopefully without turning it into a massive pain in the ass that'd push it further into something a select few dweebs can use and counter.
(02-13-2018, 05:38 AM)Superlagg Wrote: I'd more prefer something that separates "container" chemholders from "payload" chemholders. 

That's what I'm trying to get at, making the point of balance between easily transportable chem containers and more volatile payload containers.

Ideally, you'd have to put more thought and just a bit more time into carrying a chem and having a chem ready to use
I like this idea but think it should only spill if they are holding it in their hands while sprinting only. I want chems nerfed more than anyone but am strongly against nerfing things by making things tedious/worse for everyone. Lets not repeat the same old mistakes. Besides beakers are not the issue here. The chems themselves are.
Before we continue, I think we should get together and define a list of what exactly makes chemistry so ultradeadly and deserving of nerfing. Then, we'll have a better idea of how to nerf that shit into the ground!
this sounds like a bandaid trying to address a problem that's completely beside it.
Superlagg is right, the actual issue needs to be identified to be balanced. A feature with both overpowered characteristics and horrid nerfs simultaneously isn't balanced - it's exploitable and always will be- specifically by the same powergaming nerds who already abuse it.
do something meaningful, like make deatchems denature in the heat required to smoke them, differentiate between airborne, waterborne, surface contact, topical, all these different applications- let gas masks care whats coming through.

Theres no reason you should be able to shrug off a sarin bomb going off in your backpack just cause you're wearing a gas mask- that shit penetrates bone and lingers for years. Instead of tryng to balance by obscurity and making the interface fight the player, just balance it. Make it dangerous for the chemist, not just annoying.
That's certainly worth the discussion. If this isn't wanted as a chem thing, then I suggest adding it as an effect of being drunk or clumsy
(02-13-2018, 05:36 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: That's certainly worth the discussion. If this isn't wanted as a chem thing, then I suggest adding it as an effect of being drunk or clumsy

I'd be okay overall with beaker spilling if Chemistry also got fancy chemistry jars (rather then just bottles). Or a way to cover beakers in aluminum foil as a temp cover. Or you could just wrap beakers in gift wrap to make them air tight.

That said Drunk beaker spilling only becomes really funny when an enterprising prankster releases ethanol smoke into chemistry.
Recently I found how easy it is to create deathchems I can't save you from (and I'm still trying to find a way to save people from them) relatively easily using basic chemicals

To me, that's quite crazy

I agree with john warcrimes, however chemistry should not be bogged down with tiny nuances that cause no one but abosulte nerds to want to touch as shown by pathology's fate.