Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
is lljk dead
Okay! Okay! Fine, I'll do it.

Give me this weekend and I'll whip together a little marketing plan for the goon servers.

Low budget, high exposure, and minimal effort will be the guidelines.
Don't forget the contingency plan for when the marketing creates backlash!
Goonstation? More like: Drama Queen Station
i think lljk is dead because of shit that really shouldn't have been added that appeals solely to purists or game mechanics nerds. the whole double clicking shit for instance
fucking garbage. there was ZERO ZERO ZERO PROBLEM with how the game was before
the whole selling point of goon was that anything could happen at any time! that it wasn't fucking robotic like the other servers!
and now
it's kinda
robotic
there's a reason that none of the servers who are crushing us in playerbase don't have stamina
stamina is shit, and ever since it's been incorporated our player base has fallen off like ll cool j's later albums
all these things that are built in to make this game seem more like... idek how to explain it, like a haven for having really incredible, precise code that fucks with the game theory
it's made it worse because goon and ss13 thrived off chaos, the rounds where things completely, entirely went to shit, where one hit kos were in game
straight up this game isn't fun for me now and I think I've been playing ss13 since the first obama term- stamina's really the number #1 reason for me, but there are a bunch of changes that exactly 0 people asked for that fuck the game's pace up before
Add back one hit kos, one clicking, idrc about pulling but this server possesses the best code, the best map, etc, but what's made goon great is gone! it's not as random or unpredictable anymore.
readd ohkos, they are GOOD for the pace of the game for fuck's sake
you know what's ridiculous? a fucking rape simulator is consistently putting up better numbers for players (fallout 13) and most of our "tenured" players have jumped ship to Yog/Hippie (basically 2012 goon), col marines (garbage but I guess for the extremely robust), or paradise (not really honestly)
make goon great again

and yeah, we really DO need some lps, or something. i don't want to see this server die out
I have OBS so I could do an LP but I doubt people want to watch me jabber on about spessmen for half an hour at a time. The few livestreams I've done were pretty good though so eh.
I seriously doubt that stamina is the cause of Goon's lowpop. When I first started playing after a long hiatus I literally didn't even notice it.

I admit I wasn't into the robusting scene during the heyday of no-stamina, but the concept of randomly dying to random KO just sounds.... Unfun. Like, it goes against the basics of game design.

Though, changes like the pulling-change I definitely understand. It slows everything down.
Alright, like, would some kind of civvy community coder organization be worth doing? Like, coordinating group projects to work on, hosting "Let's figure out how this bastard works" code ?training? classes to figure out how this bastard works, something to focus the efforts of anyone interested in a positive direction. Cus I know a bunch of y'all, me included, are willing and able to either contribute or learn to contribute to this silly game.

As content and shit in the shorter term, would hosting a server with one of the other open-source codebases be anything other than a terrible idea? Like get some tg or vore or whatever the cool kids are using these days up in (somewhere adjacent to) here?
None of these community orientated things matter unless we have some admin on board.

Just sayin'

Edit: Also I disagree with OMJ, the stamina implentation did not falter the server pop. There was a rough period during the early phase, but the knots were untangled over time. Still more could be done with stamina, but the sprinting aspect was a boon to robustness, not a bane.
(05-05-2017, 06:51 AM)OMJ Wrote: Snip

Man. You got really personal talking about LL Cool J's discography like that. That's messed up.

Has nothing been added that you enjoy?

As for the changes, which you say there were "000 problems" to boot, a lot of your gripe probably comes from you being well acquainted with the game mechanics and then having a fit because you had to learn something new. I'm sorry if this is dismissive of your grievances but the changes are implemented as solutions to existing problems.

These changes are usually accompanied by the admins explaining their reasoning and opening it up to discussion with the community. I've been playing for years, taking a hiatus from time to time, and when I come back I'm usually blown away at how much the game has grown and been refined at the same time.

A lot of what makes this game interesting is the chaos, as you have said, but the chaos should come from the players and interactions not faulty coding and RNG knockouts.

The fact that a rape simulator, as you put it, has a higher server populations speaks more to the massive amount of shit people put there who -- I am happy to see -- spend their time elsewhere rather than clogging up our playerbase. Lack of rules is going to be more appealing to some people than any features you throw at them. People jumping ship may also have something to do with them playing the same game for years on end and simply wanting the challenge of learning and exploring new game mechanics other servers have.
u can still essentially one hit ko ppl with the correct weapons such as stun batons, various traitor weapons. ppl do have a habit of getting back up somewhat quickly unless you keep stunning em, though.

but yeah, a larger map designed in higher pop density days that deconcentrates player interaction isnt playing nicely with gradually declining playerbase and a new dragspeed nerf

and i didnt know fallout 13 turned rapey, i would have thought ppl were talking about lifeweb or uh nevermind
How long has stamina been a thing? It was implemented before my time, I think, and I've been playing for quite a while. Seems like anyone turned off by stamina would have left fairly quickly after it was implemented, and any long-term dropoff in goon's playerbase since then is probably attributable to other factors (player culture shift, other SS13 servers popping up to fill niches that goonstation doesn't, the playerbase aging and having less time to devote hours to farty spacemen). Even if you removed it now I don't think there's an especially large crowd waiting in the wings for stamina to be removed so they can be restored to their full greytiding, OHKO-ing glory.

If stamina is merely a symptom of a larger issue that you think is causing goon's decline, then you'll have to explain it in a slightly clearer manner.

Plus it's not like other stations are purely profiting from goon's alleged decline - spend about five minutes on any other well-established server's forums and you'll usually find an 'is ___station dying' thread posted without too much trouble, often fairly recently.
(05-05-2017, 04:34 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: I've been trying to drum up a few people to help solve the code dearth recently, but i'm hamstrung by the fact that i don't know much about byond coding myself frown

join #imcoder today

(05-05-2017, 07:12 AM)Sundance Wrote: None of these community orientated things matter unless we have some admin on board.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also probably less than 1% of ideas from the forum get used tbh with how many there are
While the pop has always been dropping, I feel that the switch to cogmap 1 was the real nail in the coffin despite its intent. To me, this has been the main significant change that has coincided with this recent population drop-off.

While the old players like it, I'm not so sure this is the case with those who joined within the past year. When I play, which is rare these days, I see a lot of people just head to the bar and eventually suicide.
(05-05-2017, 08:53 AM)Boon Yoon Wrote: While the pop has always been dropping, I feel that the switch to cogmap 1 was the real nail in the coffin despite its intent. To me, this has been the main significant change that has coincided with this recent population drop-off.

As unintuitive as it may seem, I feel like a smaller map makes low population rounds seem worse. There's still the same small number of people, but there's even less to do with those few people.

I'd wholeheartedly support a change back to cogmap 2, especially since we already updated the wiki to refer to cogmap 2 locations. I'm sure this has confused quite a number of new people.
(05-05-2017, 09:03 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 08:53 AM)Boon Yoon Wrote: While the pop has always been dropping, I feel that the switch to cogmap 1 was the real nail in the coffin despite its intent. To me, this has been the main significant change that has coincided with this recent population drop-off.

As unintuitive as it may seem, I feel like a smaller map makes low population rounds seem worse. There's still the same small number of people, but there's even less to do with those few people.

I'd wholeheartedly support a change back to cogmap 2, especially since we already updated the wiki to refer to cogmap 2 locations. I'm sure this has confused quite a number of new people.
yes please