Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Community Coder Conveniences
(05-01-2017, 10:22 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Would it work to give out relevant sheets of code to all y'all who want to change the big stuff? Just like get em to pinky swear not to leak the top secret atmos revamp that the illuminadmins don't want you to see.

So just make them full fledged coders? We could use more coders if you ask me.
(05-02-2017, 12:03 AM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(05-01-2017, 10:22 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Would it work to give out relevant sheets of code to all y'all who want to change the big stuff? Just like get em to pinky swear not to leak the top secret atmos revamp that the illuminadmins don't want you to see.

So just make them full fledged coders? We could use more coders if you ask me.

Ideally yeah, be great to make anyone who wants and knows how to code into a coder. But secrets, man. Can't let anyone know that the solarium never existed.

Could have some kind of a job board with stuff that the coders want to make but can't or don't want to. Then, our talented nerdplebs could pick stuff from that and assist the staff in getting it done, preferably together in some neato Github thing.

Big fancy difference here is that the assistants would be given relevant chunks of code to work from, and that they can be more assured that their work might not end up in ninja sword limbo.

Course, yeah, it would kinda spoil the surprise of new features, and it would set up a bunch of undue disappointment at the coders for not having finished their mountain of underappreciated volunteer work.
I'm pretty sure you could do that now. Make an idea thread, see if people want it. If positive, pm a coder and see if they want it (because people often want really dumb things), and offer to code it. Give a rough outline about how you plan to implement it using a flowchart or something. If all goes well they'd probably toss you the relevant hook-in.

I like features, but I don't like feature bloat. Especially in a single threaded environment. Too many half assed features make SS13 go from Mr. Hankee to just a regular pile of non-chirstmas poop.
The Solarium is both a great feature of Goon, and also its bane, because secret nerd shit means the codebase is fractured and makes patching anything that's been changed past the codebase dump impossible.

:/
Weren't licensing issues the reason goon didn't go opensource anyway?
Yeah. I honestly think most coders wouldn't care if the whole shebang went open.

It's not like it'd help goonstation that much though. The pop of other stations comes mostly from feeder sites and lax rules. Opens source leads to homogenization and copy-paste coding. It wouldn't kill goon outright. Hell, it might even help it in the short run. It'd be a slow, bleeding death.

the problem here is nobody is saying that they want to change the big stuff, so we have nobody to give stuff out to
(05-03-2017, 05:17 PM)zewaka Wrote:

the problem here is nobody is saying that they want to change the big stuff, so we have nobody to give stuff out to

Well... shit.

What big stuff needs changing if you don't mind me asking?
(05-03-2017, 07:29 PM)Superlagg Wrote:

Well... shit.

Atmos, for instance.

The only big community code project that I'm aware of right now is... well my own borg patch, which I swear is definitely not vaporware and will maybe probably kinda eventually be done soonish.
(05-03-2017, 08:18 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Atmos, for instance.

The only big community code project that I'm aware of right now is... well my own borg patch, which I swear is definitely not vaporware and will maybe probably kinda eventually be done soonish.

well atmos hasn't been touched so people wouldn't need a code release

Tobba tried understanding it, but it kinda messed with him how convoluted some of it is
I still have no idea what Atmos is or how it would make the game better.
(05-03-2017, 11:13 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I still have no idea what Atmos is or how it would make the game better.

atmos is shorthand for atmospherics, i.e. how the air and bullshit works. It's been super broken for a million years apparently, so people keep trying to fix and dying
(05-03-2017, 11:35 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(05-03-2017, 11:13 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I still have no idea what Atmos is or how it would make the game better.

atmos is shorthand for atmospherics, i.e. how the air and bullshit works. It's been super broken for a million years apparently, so people keep trying to fix and dying

What a shame. Sounds like a awful way to go.
Here's a video giving a simplified explanation of atmos code (you might have to unmute it, first):

(05-03-2017, 07:29 PM)Superlagg Wrote:

Well... shit.

Explosions. Our explosion system needs an overhaul pretty badly if you ask me. Currently, it's pretty crap and unrealistic.