Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Realistic Hanging!
Since coming back Ive found what could potentially be my favourite suicide, HANGING!

However I'm a little disappointed with hows it's been added. At the moment you use the cable, there's a fancy little red text that says you tighten the rope then you begin to suffocate.

Without succumbing suffocating from hanging seems to take minutes! like over 2 goon minutes, possibly even more but I really couldnt be bothered to sit there and wait, I wanted to spectate as a ghost.

Theres no message about jumping off the chair, the chair remains in place and the cable simply falls to the floor. Every time I've hung myself people just come along and kick the chair over or push me off it and give me CPR or drag me to medbay.

I suggest we increase the brutality of this suicide. This is how I'd go about this. (Obviously I know very little about modding and creating content for goon so pipe up if you think what I'm asking for is a little bit too much for a suicide)

1. Have the option to jump off of the chair, snapping our necks on the way down making for a much faster suicide.
2. Once hung by the neck, the body should slowly spin around ominously, every few seconds just turn in a direction to recreate hanging from the rope.
3. People shouldnt be able to just throw you on the floor, your necks attached to a rope ! To remove a hung body, you should have to cut the cable with something sharp.
4. Puddle of piss on the floor, pretty self explanatory as very factual.
5. Visible cable/rope coming up from the neck?
6. I suppose an option to suffocate without jumping and snapping your neck should be included, although all that happens now is you gasp and gasp and gasp until dead, there should be some serious thrashing around!! You're dying after all and perhaps are having second thoughts! Hanging someone is supposed to be incredibly distressing, not quiet and unnoticed.
7. Chair should be kicked over onto the floor when hung/jumped off so it doesnt look like im just standing on it

(secret number 8. LET US HANG OTHER PEOPLE! DEATH TO THE TRAITORS AND BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!)

Thanks everyone, post your ideas and tell me how morbid I am.
fuck no
Unfold the chair to hand yourself. You unfold the chair, you die.
Hi, no this feels super gross. We may be able to suicide but it feels cartoony and silly, whereas this seems creepy and overdetailed.
Eh. Quite morbid. This is coming from a guy whose friends in the real world are continually admonishing for getting too dark in casual conversation.
While this idea morbid as heck, you cannot deny that the hanging suicide is a bit underwhelming.

It wouldn't hurt for it to be a bit more dramatic and consistent, sprite wise. Also, I like the idea behind hanging someone else. Would give security another option aside from the electric chair, in terms of execution. Imagine a hanging in the chapel, with the angry crew throwing food at the very guilty rude man.
(03-17-2017, 11:18 AM)APARTHEID Wrote: fuck no
Care to elaborate?

(03-17-2017, 11:19 AM)medsal15 Wrote: Unfold the chair to hand yourself. You unfold the chair, you die.
I thought you meant this is currently in the game, well it isnt but yeah thats a good idea.
(03-17-2017, 11:20 AM)The Worst Wrote: Hi, no this feels super gross. We may be able to suicide but it feels cartoony and silly, whereas this seems creepy and overdetailed.
Slashing your throat with a blade of glass and tracking blood all around the place while screaming is cartoonish and silly?
(03-17-2017, 11:22 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Eh. Quite morbid. This is coming from a guy whose friends in the real world are continually admonishing for getting too dark in casual conversation.
I could make a gigantic list of already morbid things in SS13, and especially in goon. I fail to see how making this suicide more realistic would be a bad thing, sometimes people just want to go quietly in a backroom.
elaboration: fuck no
I'd rather not clean up after any more suicides in my lifetime. You asked if this was too morbid and there's been a resounding "yes" from everyone who has posted thus far.

It's gratuitous morbidity beyond a level of having any comedic value.

(Again, this is from the person who just posted a story about attempting suicide repeatedly in the 'best moments' thread)
Yet ramming your head ontop of a spike, ripping off your head and leaving it ontop of the spike is less morbid?
Yes, it is. Can you not see how that's silly and totally unrealistic? Can you see why that's different to what you've dsecribed here?

To elaborate: suicide is a way to take yourself out of the round and make a fun mess while doing so. Spewing blood everywhere has some shock value. Ripping out your skull with handcuffs is straight up silly. Striving for a realistic depiction of hanging is in no way funny.
since people can put nooses on other people, this sort of thing could be considered as a cloak and dagger feature, making an assassination look like a suicide at first glance

however

we dont really have much verticality in the game and the station roof is see-thru for obvious reasons. youd just be hanging yourself from invisible ceiling fixtures. so it would look like... youre standing there swaying with cable sticking up. it just wouldnt look good imo. maybe it would look convincing in a small room.

tying the noose to the back of a moving pod or some other vehicle or mechanism would be a bit better. but it would have to be something with good speed or it would just drag them around a while
Are you okay man? Do you need someone to talk to?
You're totally right, someone hanging themselves in 2D more realistically than we currently have would be way too innapropriate and would totally make this scene less funny and cartoonish.

Im sorry for anyone that's had an experience of someone hanging themselves, but cartoons like from warner bros have been fine with hangings. What's to make Goon any different? Its a place where you're supposed to be able to do anything. If you can't separate a 2D hanging from your own personal life then you're the one that needs more help, not me who doesn't struggle to find the funny side in a 2D space game.

Here, let me just tie this person up, cut their eyes out and eat their heart. Oh but that guy that hung himself over there is totally crossing the line.

Fact of the matter is, hanging in goon, as it is. Is really bad, its boring looking, a little bit of effort to set up, slow, unfunny and unrealistic.

Either remove it as to not "trigger" anyone or improve on it to make it a better feature.

[Image: f447cbd6d7.png]
Ryan, seriously. Nobody else is into the idea, and you're weirdly insistent about it being good. Please let it go.