Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Head of Personnel Suggestions
What if we removed the HoP's ability to give out ID computer access? Small little tweak that'd make it harder for All Access Recursion.
I like the idea of padlocks, especially because you can still open the locker, it is just going to take some time.
Here's some deets about what's getting thrown around in adminchat. No promises about these getting done, or their timeliness of implementation.

- Department heads given limited ID computer access. Enough to hire people into their departments, which will be part of their duties, not the HoP's.
- The Head of Personnel, his meagre job duties stripped from him, will be kicked out of his plush office. He will still be head of civilian jobs that don't fall under any other Head role, like botany, catering, and still have access to the budget. Maybe we can give him purvey of the QMs and rename the job Bursar. He will not retain all access or the ability to grant it. In his disgraced state we may force him to share an office with the janitor.
- A new hire to take over the HoP's current quarters: The First Mate. The first mate is an adjutant to the captain, variously serving as butler, bodyguard, nanny, Kif Kroker or Starscream to the big guy in green. The First Mate will have captain level access. Promotions only fall to the FM or Cap in the event the department head in question is unavailable or needs replacing.

Some early FM objective ideas: Ensure that the Captain survives the round on the shuttle, or Steal the captain's hat. His life kind of revolves around the captain, is the idea.
(02-06-2017, 09:57 AM)Grayshift Wrote: In his disgraced state we may force him to share an office with the janitor.

Make him start in one of the lockers in the janitor's office.
What's the point of demoting the HOP if another job is introduced that's functionally identical? Anyone who abused the role of HOP is just going to hop in as a FM and continue doing the exact same thing, with no care for its arr pee purpose of protecting the cap. The point of signing up as the HOP wasn't specifically being the HOP, it was being an all-access guy without the big 'Kick Me' sign on the back conferred by being the captain.
I don't get why everyone is so dead set on killing a station role that has been around for ages instead of trying to weed out the people who abuse the damn role. Removing the HoP will just push the people who abused the role to play as captains, or whatever roles which allow them to dish out access.

Except for a few individuals, I haven't seen much abuse in all access IDs in the past few weeks from most HoPs. If a player has no issues toeing the line to cause trouble for others as a non-antag, they'll continue to find ways to do so regardless of whether or not they play as a HoP. This feels very much like using a nuke to kill an insect.
(02-06-2017, 10:12 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 09:57 AM)Grayshift Wrote: In his disgraced state we may force him to share an office with the janitor.

Make him start in one of the lockers in the janitor's office.

I'll get started on the "Bursar Keeps Stealing My Golashes" thread now.

What if you just make the access to ID computer and security a separate function? One that requires an alternate means of approval.

Example: swiping two head IDs registered to separate people. 

Perhaps it would be just enough of an inconvenience for people who normally just click Captain and pop the ID out to prevent mass production.

And if someone is still doing it after this then you know they're really going out of their way to be a jerk and there can be no defending their position when the hammer of justice drops on their heads.
(02-06-2017, 11:46 AM)Zafhset Wrote: I don't get why everyone is so dead set on killing a station role that has been around for ages instead of trying to weed out the people who abuse the damn role. Removing the HoP will just push the people who abused the role to play as captains, or whatever roles which allow them to dish out access.

Except for a few individuals, I haven't seen much abuse in all access IDs in the past few weeks from most HoPs. If a player has no issues toeing the line to cause trouble for others as a non-antag, they'll continue to find ways to do so regardless of whether or not they play as a HoP.  This feels very much like using a nuke to kill an insect.

Honestly, after going through this thread again, I think we're making a mountain out of a molehill and creating solutions to problems that really aren't that big of a deal. Thread really should have died when it revealed itself to be a bitching match between Ed Venture and babayetu83.

I kinda do like that description of the First Mate, though.
I could actually see First Mate/Captain working perfectly fine with only a few changes to the ID system:
  • ID Computer access is no longer all or nothing. Every Head of Staff position allows for ID computer access, but only for access related to that specific job. A CE ID can only add/remove Engineering/Mechanics/Mining/QM/Maintenance access, for example.
  • Command IDs (ie. the Captain and First Mate) can make someone a CE, MD, RD, HoS or HoP. They cannot promote people to Command. Doing so announces the name of the new Head of Staff and who appointed them via a special Bridge Announcement.
  • A single ID can only have one of the following accesses: CE, MD, RD, HoP, HoS and Command. Getting the ability to grant all access requires that you either steal the ID from every head of staff, OR spend several minutes fiddling around with the ID computer and having the fact that you're doing so announced to the entire crew. The Captain, First Mate and Head of Security start with access to all non-head accesses.
  • In addition to being able to deputize new Security Officers and Detectives, the Head of Security has the authority to remove access of any type, including Head of Staff/Command access.
Have all access id's even really been a consistent problem? I think a few old time players just gotten under each other's skin, and can't stop the cycle just yet. It'll end in like a week, making this all pretty pointless. Was a good thread to read though, I guess.

Why can't you people just settle things in the ring.
(02-06-2017, 03:33 PM)Boon Yoon Wrote: Have all access id's even really been a consistent problem? I think a few old time players just gotten under each other's skin, and can't stop the cycle just yet. It'll end in like a week, making this all pretty pointless. Was a good thread to read though, I guess.

Yes, read the security crackdown thread for more info as it seems more people have been experiencing this recently. At the time of my first post addressing it I've been seeing it for two weeks and was constantly getting raided by people with All access when I was playing Security which I was by myself most of the time.
Just have a list of active, registered IDs and their access. Let them be altered and disabled wirelessly. And let the AI futz with it. And any ID given sec access gives a big message and a lot of sirens that tell sec to murder the HoP.
(02-06-2017, 03:33 PM)Boon Yoon Wrote: Have all access id's even really been a consistent problem? I think a few old time players just gotten under each other's skin, and can't stop the cycle just yet. It'll end in like a week, making this all pretty pointless. Was a good thread to read though, I guess.

[Image: SDBR8nM.png]
Still waiting on you to prove how we are wrong in the other thread babayeti which I know you won't you never reply when you get challenged. Again you've been found out. You're one of the people that do this and you try and deny and discredit the subject even though you've been called out multiple times. At this point I don't think anyone should take you serious.
(02-06-2017, 05:47 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Still waiting on you to prove how we are wrong in the other thread babayeti which I know you won't you never reply when you get challenged. Again you've been found out. You're one of the people that do this and you try and deny and discredit the subject even though you've been called out multiple times. At this point I don't think anyone should take you serious.

you do the same to me and get bent out of shape when i do it to you  Waldorf

i've responded multiple times and all i got in return was people trying to downplay what i said because they didn't have an argument. like you.