Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Remove "gay" from VOX vocab
An unnamed admin was calling stuff gay with VOX and I believe that the general consensus on Goonstation is that calling stuff gay is a bad thing.  I see no reason the vox should have this in it's vocabulary and it should be removed.  

The only reason to have it in is to call stuff gay and that's not really cool.
Agreed, it's in the rules so it has no business being available in VOX.

EDIT:Alright when I saw what wonk posted I changed my mind, when it's tame shit like that it's fine as long as it's not being abused.
I misheard the vox and thought the announcement was calling something gay. I still feel this is inappropriate and having it in will only encourage it's use.
If we are going to remove references to aspie because a very very small number of people think it's offensive (and a larger number of people think that if anyone is offended we should remove it) then we should remove gay from vox as well, as it could also be offensive.

We can't remove one not offensive term that people claim is offensive and keep another not offensive term that people claim is offensive.
There is absolutely no reason to have it in, as the only use is to call things gay.
Like was discussed in the other thread, this kind of stuff can lead to an EXTREMELY slippery slope.
I believe it's just a matter of time until someone decides to use it in really poor taste. It might be best to remove it now before it happens.
The word "gay" on its own is not a negative thing and was not used to describe things negatively here.  Admins are generally trusted to know better than to go around using vox to call things gay in such a way that implies the thing is bad, and AIs granted access to vox can't use "gay" in their messages.  Nothing wonk used vox to say here was implying something was bad.

(11-18-2016, 08:44 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: If we are going to remove references to aspie because a very very small number of people think it's offensive (and a larger number of people think that if anyone is offended we should remove it) then we should remove gay from vox as well, as it could also be offensive.

We can't remove one not offensive term that people claim is offensive and keep another not offensive term that people claim is offensive.

No one has touched the sperghetti/asspie/assburger and as of this moment I'm not aware of anyone planning to do that.  No, the thread popecrunch made asking people to vote on it does not count as him planning to remove or edit those things (he can't, he has no access to the code, he would have to ask a coder to do it for him)
To be clear my stance is outlined here https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid...9#pid85269

If something is offensive we should remove it, but neither of these terms are offensive.

I'm simply making very clear the connection between thinking "aspie" is offensive and "gay" is offensive.

Neither is.

What I don't want and will work hard to stop is people bleaching aspergers from the game while keeping everything else. That, frankly, is quite offensive.

I'm linking the two threads so that both the "remove gay" and "remove aspie" people look at the other thread and see how silly their argument is when extrapolated.

Gay is a fine word and should remain. Or put another way:

Okay gay can stay.
(11-18-2016, 08:53 AM)Haine Wrote: The word "gay" on its own is not a negative thing and was not used to describe things negatively here.  Admins are generally trusted to know better than to go around using vox to call things gay in such a way that implies the thing is bad, and AIs granted access to vox can't use "gay" in their messages.  Nothing wonk used vox to say here was implying something was bad.

Yes, the reason I made this thread, as I've stated, was because I misheard the vox and thought it used it in a derogatory manner.
(11-18-2016, 08:57 AM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote: Yes, the reason I made this thread, as I've stated, was because I misheard the vox and thought it used it in a derogatory manner.

My reply is more in response to:

(11-18-2016, 08:46 AM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote: There is absolutely no reason to have it in, as the only use is to call things gay.
(11-18-2016, 08:50 AM)Burrito Justice Wrote: I believe it's just a matter of time until someone decides to use it in really poor taste. It might be best to remove it now before it happens.

Vox has had the word "gay" in it for years and, while I can't speak about the time before I was a regular player, hasn't been misused that I can recall.  I don't see a need to remove it to prevent something I find really unlikely to happen to begin with.
(11-18-2016, 08:53 AM)Haine Wrote: and AIs granted access to vox can't use "gay" in their messages.
I didn't know this, sorry.
(11-18-2016, 08:46 AM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote: There is absolutely no reason to have it in, as the only use is to call things gay.

Gay is a legit, non-offensive adjective. "He's a gay man", "I am gay", "that's some hot gay ass", "legalize gay marriage", etc.

Wanting to get rid of a word because it can be used as a pejorative, regardless of whether or not it is being used that way, is ridiculous. In my opinion, that even goes as far as to be a little weird and gross in and of itself. Like, it kinda feels like you're saying the word gay can only be used to mean a bad thing?

Annihilate the people who abuse the word. There's no need to remove it.
I agree heavily with Ursula. Having the logic of "this can be used for bad, so get rid of it" encompasses basically everything. Think about it in terms of the game of SS13. Make everything that could harm someone traitor only. Welp! There goes basically every item.

I am repeating what others have said but, I'd just like to have my say in this. Don't remove it.
(11-18-2016, 08:47 AM)Wonkmin Wrote: as with everything, if something is abused or offensive it'll be removed

this isn't one of those cases

what a waste of time

Agreed. This is so fucking stupid that I am baffled by this and the other thread.

(11-18-2016, 08:44 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: (and a larger number of people think that if anyone is offended we should remove it)

Well they are wrong. Goonstation is not a safespace. Plus the majority has already voted and said in that thread that it's not offensive and should stay.