Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Extra Insulated Gloves Removal - AKA: Unpopular Idea Thread
Remove extra insulated gloves from the mechanic's lab. citizen slang bro

Maybe move them to QM or just get rid of them. Mechanic's already start with gloves and having all of these extra pairs lying about makes everyone think they have the right to burst in and steal tools/gloves and do whatever else they want.

I can't tell you how many rounds have been completely derailed by having to continually fight off looters and people trying to break down walls or windows. Pretty fed up with it.

Bring on the hate. I'm ready for it. this is gonna be good
They're literally the only extra set of gloves on the entire station, baring rare loot-table rolls.

If you're going to remove them from mechanics, place another source for them, like engineering.
I'd really rather not remove them. Maybe move them, or have a way to fabricate them but it's honestly nice to give them to peeps with cyberhearts and things like that. It's also nice to have them if someone has to sub in when we don't have any mechanics.

I don't see why anyone would hate you for this.
According to the wiki, insulated gloves can be ordered at QM.
I guess you could change the insulated gloves to black gloves, or some gloves that will allow people with cyberhearts to survive a shock and some damage, but shock them regardless. Budget Insulation or something.
People bust into mechanics when there aren't any gloves. If you want mechanics not broken into just make the lower windows into another sliding window/table combo and remove the upper windows because they don't make sense anyways.

People will still break in tho. Not that I mind. Gives me test subjects for traps.
Mechanics isn't a special place. -Everywhere- is subject to break-ins.
Every department has loot that is "worth" a break-in to steal. Windows are fragile and walls can be dis-assembled.

If this happens to you:
Call security, or devise some way to prevent them from breaking in. (I like the sliding window idea, its effective as they cannot be broken by objects.)
Or, just throw the extras right into the: (nice:hall/spiteful:dumpster) at roundstart. Leave their containers open to show theres nothing left to steal.
Or, if you really really want to be left alone, scan your vending machines and take your mechanics project off station entirely.
I usually just go to the space cafe from the mining shuttle, take a space pod to the mechanics debris lab, and then get gloves from there.

If I'm feeling extra helpful I sometimes even set up a teleporter from the cafe so that others can reach the mechanics lab without a ship.

Rarely is that little space mechanics lab ever touched, and getting yellow gloves from there is an easy way to not annoy the mechanics staff and still get yellow gloves.
Won't having less extra pairs make the mechanics themselves a bigger target for antags and muggers?
I suspect that it'll be less of an issue going forward. There's at least one super easy to acquire material that will make insulated gloves in new materials system. (Now whether that in turn makes insulated gloves TOO easy to acquire is another question.)
there is already another source of more yellow gloves: just fucking buy some. put qm to work. pester the ai or a cyborg to buy you some shit they would probably enjoy having something slightly different to do.

if they complain about money tell them to dock your pay for it in exchange, or you can play slots a little or sift thru couch cushions and find thousands of creds
(10-17-2016, 02:33 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Won't having less extra pairs make the mechanics themselves a bigger target for antags and muggers?

I'd honestly prefer that. I've never been mugged for my stuff, and I feel like I'm missing out on an essential part of the game here.
Honestly I never use the yellows if I'm not already wearing them... unless everything is shocked, of course.

Why do people get them (outside of shocked doors)? Door hacking? Multitool availability makes this a non-issue these days. Packets too. Shockgloves? That I understand, but makes me more inclined to flush the extras every round. They look neat? Hey, I empathize with this the most.

Get shocked is a mild inconvenience and all objects reset after 30 seconds of being pinged. Not a big deal unless somebody hotwired the engine.
In my initial post I suggested moving them to QM. My humble opinion is that QM should be our cargo and excess items storage area already. So, why not have a stockpile of extra gloves laying about?

The ruck and analyzers are incentive enough for people to break in. I do realize every department has items worthy of looting; however, I can think of no other department that gets raided every round start by countless crew and heads.

Majority of the time, Security is either incompetent or preoccupied. It happens all round even after people have looted all of the gloves.

With the addition of the nanofabs ability to craft the gloves, do we really need so many pairs in one area?

(I didn't really expect hate, just goofing around)

(Plus I wanted an excuse to use this little guy this is gonna be good)
(10-17-2016, 09:32 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Remove extra insulated gloves from the mechanic's lab. citizen slang bro

Maybe move them to QM or just get rid of them. Mechanic's already start with gloves and having all of these extra pairs lying about makes everyone think they have the right to burst in and steal tools/gloves and do whatever else they want.

I can't tell you how many rounds have been completely derailed by having to continually fight off looters and people trying to break down walls or windows. Pretty fed up with it.

Bring on the hate. I'm ready for it. this is gonna be good

just let them take them 

you already have a pair so what's the problem
(10-19-2016, 01:56 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: just let them take them 

you already have a pair so what's the problem

The issue is that when there's a steady flow of people filing in and out of an area they take tools, random parts of whatever project you were working on for some reason, resources you may have needed, create disarray, break walls or windows, one out of every five wants to flash you or some other grief as well, and then the occasional traitor mixes in there and decides to just kill you for being in the room. It's incredibly disruptive and more than likely you end up spending half your round fixing whatever mess they made. You can leave things broken -- sure -- but that just lets more people come running in and out as they please and the cycle continues.

I'm willing to give gloves to anyone who asks for them. The issue is people who think it's their divine right to come acquire whatever they want at whatever expense.

The gloves are what draw them in 99% of the time.