Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rebalance Robotic Modules + tools
(08-19-2016, 08:15 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Idea: what if I made it so that the sprite for a cyborg part varied depending upon its max health?

That way, you could get the reinforcement aesthetic effects without any actual reinforcement.

TL;DR: maybe, but I'm not sure it makes sense.

I think this depends on what sort of scale you have for this.

Let's say I make my cyborg parts out of paper as the external material (please let this be a thing) - clearly this should look flimsy. On the other end of the scale, we have some painstakingly-made alloy that resembles some hybrid of adamantium/unobtanium. One of the main points of using alloys is to change a material's properties without (significantly) increasing its mass, so visibly this super-alloy shouldn't look too different from standard steel... unless you want it to.

Let's take weird alloys out of the equation for a bit (I'm not sure they'd even work for reinforcing?):

As an example: titanium is denser than steel, but you can get away with using less of it than steel while actually being stronger (for a vague definition of "stronger", don't you get all technical on me). To that end, you could have a standard (as per current reinforcing methods) arm of steel actually about as durable as a light arm of titanium. Alternatively, you could reinforce the heck out of the titanium one then you've got something that weighs an absolute tonne but is far more durable than a comparably reinforced steel one.
(08-19-2016, 08:31 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(08-19-2016, 08:15 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Idea: what if I made it so that the sprite for a cyborg part varied depending upon its max health?

That way, you could get the reinforcement aesthetic effects without any actual reinforcement.
WORDS

In hindsight my idea seems really fucking dumb.

I am too tired today to be working on this thing.
is it too late to ask if you can sneak in the ability for borgs to wear gloves and shoes
(08-22-2016, 06:39 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: is it too late to ask if you can sneak in the ability for borgs to wear gloves and shoes

Not happening.

Wouldn't happen even if you told me at the beginning.

I'm fucking awful at spritework, and I'm sure that'd require a shitload of spritework to make it work properly.
(08-22-2016, 06:49 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 06:39 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: is it too late to ask if you can sneak in the ability for borgs to wear gloves and shoes

Not happening.

I'm fucking awful at spritework, and I'm sure that'd require a shitload of spritework to make it work properly.

I think he means something like how borgs can equip other clothes already. It should't require ANY spritework because as far as i'm aware it just uses the same sprites
(08-23-2016, 06:56 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:

Not happening.

I think he means something like how borgs can equip other clothes already. It should't require ANY spritework because as far as i'm aware it just uses the same sprites

Borg arms and legs don't always have the same profile as human limbs.

It'd look really wonky without modification.
(08-23-2016, 07:20 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 06:56 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:

Not happening.

Borg arms and legs don't always have the same profile as human limbs.

It'd look really wonky without modification.

Ah, thats probably why it isn't already implemented then
well have you ever seen a ROBOT wearing SHOES???
aka: i bet it'd look really dumb, but then again, many things in this game look dumb but great
I guess I could throw something together to get an idea of how it would look.

If it's not too godawful looking, I suppose a vote could be made on whether to include it or not.
(08-23-2016, 02:50 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I guess I could throw something together to get an idea of how it would look.

If it's not too godawful looking, I suppose a vote could be made on whether to include it or not.

On second thought, it'd be a much better idea to just wait and work this into a different patch.

This thing is already bloated enough as it is, and I want to get this rework out relatively soon since Keelin has started working on materials again.
(08-24-2016, 02:30 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 02:50 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I guess I could throw something together to get an idea of how it would look.

On second thought, it'd be a much better idea to just wait and work this into a different patch.

This thing is already bloated enough as it is, and I want to get this rework out relatively soon since Keelin has started working on materials again.

good point
lay on that delicious, delicious borg usefulness
Hrrrg, I've been really busy lately and, consequently, have been unable to work on this.

Rest assured, it will happen eventually!
Crap, I just realized that I have no idea if the slowdown from heavier borg parts will work with the new movement code.
(08-29-2016, 08:40 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Crap, I just realized that I have no idea if the slowdown from heavier borg parts will work with the new movement code.

(08-29-2016, 08:40 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Crap, I just realized that I have no idea if the slowdown from heavier borg parts will work with the new movement code.

Might not, but it would be relatively easy to port. Just mark it with a TODO comment or something.