Poll: Should we give all HOS whitelisted players VOX access when they pick AI?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yeah
4.84%
3 4.84%
Nah
6.45%
4 6.45%
Seperate whitelist entirely - independent of HOS whitelist
35.48%
22 35.48%
HOS whitelist merged with new Whitelist
8.06%
5 8.06%
As above, but with Mentor whitelist added too!
45.16%
28 45.16%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
VOX whitelist
AI is kinda boring at times, and while I'd like to give all AIs the chance to vent steam at bad crew, I don't want to subject the playerbase to vox_login swedishnoise swedishmadness swedishmadness swedishmadness x10 for an hour.

If you're good enough to get access to the armoury, you're good enough to order clown johnson inspection days. Hopefully this means we'll get a better breed of player in an essential role as an incentive!

What say you nerds?
I think it's a great idea, I think you should just let all mentors have access to it but let's see how the poll goes.
I think it should be a separate whitelist. The type of restraint to not power game with shotguns is not the same as the maturity not to run sounds into the ground
I agree that it should be a separate whitelist for two reasons.

First, I think we should be eased into this. It'd probably get run into the ground real quickly if we suddenly had a whole bunch of people capable of using it on launch day.

Second, the two responsibilities are totally different and should have different application criteria. I'd argue that it takes even more discipline to use VOX than to be a HoS since it presents a much stronger temptation for abuse. Regardless, I feel vox should a separate whitelist on a level above HoS, just as HoS is above mentorship.

Edit: I'd like to add that I STRONGLY DISAGREE with giving vox access to all mentors. Being a mentor means you are knowledgeable, helpful, somewhat responsible, and not shit. It does not mean that you have enough self-restraint to resist the temptation to flood the vox system with silly words and sounds.
I like that admins can vent on vox. With this change I would not be sure if it was admin or ai declaring ass day.
Mentors: Naturally a lot of mentors are gonna vote for themselves a pay raise. A lot of people already apply just because they want purple. No need to bloat mentor with people who just want VOX rights.

HoS: Small list of veterans who know how to play security real well. Very trustworthy, but nothing to do with AI. I believe VOX access should be for those who are the HoS of the silicon realm.

VOX access: The list should be separate. It should be for well known and well liked AI players. They should have to apply like the others and explain why they should have VOX and how they would use it.

Exposition: AI is a boring as shit position, but there are people who enjoy it. There are people who are really good at it. There are people who make entire rounds better by being AI. I'd like for those people to be rewarded, and for more people to aspire to be those AI.

That said, I wince at the offer. VOX is special, and it could get annoying real fast. This is why I'd want them to explain how they'd use the ability. Hell, maybe even throw in a cooldown just in case.
(06-28-2016, 12:08 PM)oblong Wrote: I like that admins can vent on vox. With this change I would not be sure if it was admin or ai declaring ass day.

Aren't there filters? Maybe one filter is reserved for Admins to make it distinct?
There was also the idea to prepend the 'bee-boop' sound to every player VOX action. Lots of ways to make sure we know the difference.
(06-28-2016, 02:04 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(06-28-2016, 12:08 PM)oblong Wrote: I like that admins can vent on vox. With this change I would not be sure if it was admin or ai declaring ass day.

Aren't there filters? Maybe one filter is reserved for Admins to make it distinct?
This sounds like a create way to distinguish to the two.
(06-28-2016, 01:09 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: That said, I wince at the offer. VOX is special, and it could get annoying real fast. This is why I'd want them to explain how they'd use the ability. Hell, maybe even throw in a cooldown just in case.

I like this idea. Also: There is already a cooldown for player VOX, don't worry.
I feel like I could be trusted with VOX, but am not robust enough to be HoS. So I voted separate whitelist. I'd also be happy with Mentors only.
Note: Most of the soundeffect type VOX noises aren't available to AI VOX. So 'hailmary swedishmadness buzwarn' won't be happening.
(06-28-2016, 05:20 PM)Grayshift Wrote: Note: Most of the soundeffect type VOX noises aren't available to AI VOX. So 'hailmary swedishmadness buzwarn' won't be happening.

Can the woop woop noise still be made?
I dunno. They're sound effects so I doubt it.
(06-28-2016, 05:40 PM)Grayshift Wrote: I dunno. They're sound effects so I doubt it.

Fair enough.