Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AI Traits
Rainbow 
I'm basically just writing this thread to ping around an idea and see where it goes. So in light of recent discussions about Them AI Things (which can be found in General), I had an idea to make the experience of playing AI more interesting: traits (or if you want to be SASSY we could call them SUBROUTINES or something). Basically working off a similar point-buy/sell system, and being as, or slightly more functional than spaceman traits, these would allow AIs to have some sort of specialization or just generally neat little features they could pull off in terms of interacting with the station that would make them more interesting and useful than a door-opener. Not sure yet what to provide as example, though.

AI Traits could be possibly reset or reallocated by using some sort of reprogram/respec disk the Roboticists could make (hey, look at that, actual relevance) allowing either the one who inserts the disc or the AI themselves to change up the AI's traits, so as to fuck with them or make them more effective during the round at hand (things that are slightly better at identifying/cordoning one type of antag or another, etc.)

Also you might be able to add speech traits so they can start off automatically braindead and stuttering rather than a law forcing them to type like that!! Deluxe
Truthful: Randomly states all your laws.

Button Pusher: Randomly turns off or on the lights of the room you are currently looking in.

Neat Hat: Spawn with a random hat on your head.

Master M1nd: Spawn in an evil mustache on your face.
We could AI text filters akin to how we have accent traits, but make them more internet-based.

Here's a couple of typing concepts that are definitely not stolen from online or anything. they are

The given examples only take trait points if they're oddly annoying to deal with.

Eternal Rage: YOU SPEAK WITH AN ETERNAL, UNBRIDLED RAGE.

Uncomfortably Formal: Every Word You Speak Has This Weird Air Of Formality To It.

Nervous Disposition: (-1) yOU tYPE iN tHIS wEIRD aND uNCOMFORTABLE mANNER.

High On Life: (-2) sWeEt mOtHeR oF gOd, wHy wOuLd yOu eVeR TyPe lIkE ThIs.

L337 SP34K: (-6) 0H G0D WHY W0ULD Y0U W4N7 T0 SP34K L1K3 TH1S.

On second thought, the AI having really funky typing would get really annoying after a while.
(06-23-2016, 05:56 PM)Mageziya Wrote: [...]

On second thought, the AI having really funky typing would get really annoying after a while.

now it can be annoying for the crew AND the ai
(06-23-2016, 05:50 PM)69andahalf Wrote: Truthful: Randomly states all your laws.

Button Pusher: Randomly turns off or on the lights of the room you are currently looking in.

I think that first one would result in a lot of accidental law breaking and anger.
(06-23-2016, 07:00 PM)Musketman12 Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 05:50 PM)69andahalf Wrote: Truthful: Randomly states all your laws.

I think that first one would result in a lot of accidental law breaking and anger.

That's the fun part! smile
maybe a trait that makes humans look like faceless, nameless meat-drones to the ai, identified and addressed only by their rank/job

but that might become troubling when it comes to law changes because they often refer to people by name and provide specific instructions on how to treat different individuals

maybe one that gives the ai face core a tougher body or more efficient/higher capacity internal battery

the ability to shoot things out of vending machines at people?

the ability to upgrade your cameras to double as fire suppression systems that you can squirt foam/water manually or set them to respond to fires automatically?
I'm in favor of the flavor of this, but its already beginning to go bad. Any traits the AI gets should NOT make it more robust, at least not outright such as stronger body or anything fancy. Maybe some fun traits, or even the ability to start the game as an AI Borg shell, instead of the hard-docked one. But please none that make evil ai's even worse in any way.

The AI is, undoubtably, the most robust role on the station. Not everyone can do it, but lemme build a nightmare AI for you and you tell me what perks you want it to have access to...

Evil AI teleports itself off station as measure 1 - you're not likely to get me if im hidden on the mining station. Doubly so if i've gone to borg shell or gotten a borg to help fortify my evil lair.

For double measure, How about I open a can of plasma and teleport it in the room im bunkered down in.... that aught to stop intruders, so maybe I wont go the extra mile and bring a rogue securitron into my lair as well... that might be excessive

Ok, depower sec equipment so they cant charge guns or vend shit, and all their little outpost checkpoints...they probably dont know im rogue...yet.

AI fortifies telescience by depressurizing all nearby departments and bolting and etc... Ok, now they know im rouge, so its on to the tele-bombing everything with plasma and welder tanks...Buddies to purge....ok, got that... Better lock down EVA and medbay so they can't easily breathe...

Hmm, murder them by hand now, or do I take the time to open all the external airlocks and maint doors?

Edit: Oh yeah, and please no traits that make the crew assume the AI is rogue when it is not. Avoid traits that "randomly" make the AI do shit, as the crew could never know if the AI was truly afflicted with some trait or was just doing shit because they can
Make Accent traits apply to AI. That would be fine.
I legitimately forgot the AI could do telescience, even though that's arguably one of its most robust abilities.

Shit
(06-24-2016, 10:25 AM)Boa Jacque Wrote: giant paranoid fantasies that assume everything goes perfectly and nobody makes even a mild effort to resist

its not like traitors, syndies, lings, wizards, and vampires don't wipe out 95% of the station on a regular basis, what's so bad about a subverted ai, an honorary antag now that its been subverted, doing it?

could you maybe give some actual trait ideas instead of spreading fear about the possibility of people having some new toys to play with?

the ability to start in a borg shell isnt very attractive, youd just be putting your brain into a less secure body. it'd be better if you could give the little ai probe bots improved toolsets. those little things barely see any real use anymore
-snip-

the ability to start in a borg shell isnt very attractive, youd just be putting your brain into a less secure body. it'd be better if you could give the little ai probe bots improved toolsets. those little things barely see any real use anymore

This sounds good, the probe bots improvement^
Another good idea was the camera/fire suppression, because its a nice thing instead of a naughty thing.
However increasing the AI Core HP is pure robustness, and has no use for increasing fun. (not that it was a horrible idea, but maybe not the most attractive)
--
I don't really play AI myself, so im not sure what sorts of traits would be desirable (except some AI's prefer to deploy to borg shell so I thought that would be a nice option) I'm not at all suggesting that we should imagine the worst-case scenario and limit ourselves to that box, I just wanted to point out that new traits should be focused on fun or utility and not robustness because the AI already has plenty of robustness.
I like the idea of traits for AI, but an unsure beyond just things like accents and other word filters.

Maybe after the AI reworking is over this might be something to be looked into again
If AI traits are going to be a thing I think some things should be saved for random events, like a solar flare causing AI to get the "blurt out laws" trait. I suppose at that point it would be a mutation though.