Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
remove the time/heat things for cooking
it's just needlessly tedious and i'm pretty sure there would be no overlap from this since i'm pretty sure all food recipes are unique
Personally, I'd like to see cooking become more intuitive, with getting a properly cooked meal being more about observation of the food while it's cooking, and more room for error.
I think the heat doesn't actually affect the recipe.
Each recipe has a fixed amount of cooking. Every second on low is +1 cooking, and every second on high is +2 cooking. You have a margin of error of +/-1 for bonus healing and +/-5 for it to yield something other than a ???? or burnt mess.

I was working on a patch to make cooking better, but I realized half-way through that A] I was not a good enough coder to complete the project all on my own, and B] this is the sort of project that doesn't lend itself to being implemented in stages. So lets post it on the forums instead:

Basically, this is plan based on two concepts: Make the oven work more like the fryer, and make more recipes work like sandwiches.

To make the oven work like the fryer, we remove the existing oven recipes. Instead, you put the ingredient you want to cook into/onto one of five cooking containers (pan, pot, rack, tray or wok) and then put the container into the oven, which slowly cooks everything inside. Each cooking container holds 7 items.

Roasting Pan: braised X->lightly roasted X->roasted X->slow roasted X->smouldering mess->fire
Cooking Pot: simmered X->poached X->boiled X->boils over
Grilling Rack: seared X->grilled X->sauteed X->smouldering mess->fire
Baking Tray: baked X->browned X->?????->fire
Steaming Wok: lightly steamed X->steamed X->extra steamy X->wilted X->?????->cloud of steam

The oven also has a timer and a temperature setting from 1-5. The timer is literally just a timer. It dings when the time is up. The oven increases the doneness level of all food in it by one every minute that the food is inside. So an eggplant in a cooking pot turns to "simmered eggplant" after one minute, then "poached eggplant" after two and so on and so forth. Temperature doesn't matter for this. Instead, the temperature setting determines how much of each reagent is 'cooked out' of an ingredient by the cooking process each time the doneness is increased. The eggplant, for example, would lose 5 nicotine per minute on temperature setting 5 and 3 per minute on temperature setting 3.

When you first remove food from the oven, it is hot. Touching it without oven mits (which go in the gloves slot) or eating it does burn damage. After a minute to cool, it becomes fresh. Eating fresh food heals you for twice as much. A while after that, it goes cold and heals you for the normal amount. A long long time after that, it goes stale and only heals for 10%. Vending machine food is always stale. The freshness of food is indicated at the end of the description with "It looks hot/fresh/cold/stale."

Because the oven works differently, a bunch of foods need new recipes. Instead of using the oven directly, we use a couple of cooking menus similar to the construction menu brought up by clicking metal sheets.

All of the current variant breads become Mixer recipes that make some kind of dough (ie dough + pumpkin in mixer = pumpkin bread dough)

A Rolling Pin on any type of dough brings up the baked goods menu. Options include:
-Loaf (if none is selected, it defaults to this)
-Cookie
-Bagel
-Crumpet
-Ice Cream Cone
-Breadstick
-Pizza Base
-Cake Base
-Pie Base
-Taco Base
-Burrito Base
-Burger Base
-Noodle Base
-Tortilla Chips
-Sheet (a material sheet, for making gingerbread houses and dread beds)
-Am I missing any here?

You can reroll bread an unlimited number of times before you cook it. Cooking any dough item in the oven using any method (it doesn't have to be baking!) makes it stop being dough and no longer rollable with the rolling pin.

Using a knife on a cooked loaf yields bread slices as normal, and a bread slice on a bread slice yields a Sandwich Base. Using a knife on meat brings up the meat cutting menu, which allows you to make stuff like:
-Steak
-Meatball
-Bacon
-Hotdog
-Meat Slices
-Meat Paste
-Am I missing any here?

Using a fork on a bowl makes a Salad Base. Using a spoon on a bowl makes a Pudding Base. This uses up the bowl but nothing else.

Any "Base" item can have other items inserted into it (up to a maximum of 8), or clicked on directly to complete it. Dough items don't count as bases until cooked. If you finish a base without anything in it, you get a wish version of it, aka wish sandwich, wish pudding, wish burger.

Ultimate goal:
The chef burning their hands by taking a lightly steamed eggplant, poached egg, sauteed Mr. Rathen's butt and braised fried Space the Clown's ID (Clown) pie out of the oven.
If you want effective cooking that's more than pretty sprites then you have to partake in chemistry. There's a few useful dishes that require no chemistry, like warm donks, monkeyburgers and that spicy spaghetti, but for the most part it's superfluous.

Don't get me wrong. I like the variety. I just wish the variety did something significant for the effort. Few people heal with food. If they do they're generally not gonna run around with pancakes in their backpack.

So yeah, I'm of the opinion that there's currently little value in cooking times and temps from a gameplay standpoint. Outside of the general 'It's been this way so it will be this way' mantra. Until cooking gets rebalanced atleast.
maybe good homecooked foods made with ethically sourced botany-grown ingredients could give stamina buffs. people like stamina buffs

they should also help replenish lost blood level some, if they dont already.

special effects should also be applied to more bar drink mixes too
This is one of the oldest things ive coded and really could use a rework.
(05-31-2016, 10:35 AM)ISaidNo Wrote: This is one of the oldest things ive coded and really could use a rework.

If I weren't planning on working on robotics, I'd make this the focus of my next patch.
There isn't even any need to care about the heat in the current state of cooking. I literally cook everything on 2 seconds high, which gives the "this tastes amazing" notice on most food items. I don't think even Space Gordon Ramsay could do much more than that.
(05-31-2016, 10:57 AM)Boon Yoon Wrote: There isn't even any need to care about the heat in the current state of cooking. I literally cook everything on 2 seconds high, which gives the "this tastes amazing" notice on most food items. I don't think even Space Gordon Ramsay could do much more than that.

STOP RIGHT THERE!

this elvis loaf is utter garbage!

*destroys elvis loaf*
Hey I think I have a good idea. You know what the kitchen doesn't have? 

A griddle

[Image: 20100519-hawkins-griddle.jpg]

Imagine a heated table that you could just throw people food onto, and watch them cook in front of your eyes? Plus it really goes along with the greasy spoon atmosphere of the bar.

(05-31-2016, 02:01 AM)Grek Wrote:
complete the project all on my own, and B] this is the sort of project that doesn't lend itself to being implemented in stages. So lets post it on the forums instead:

Basically, this is plan based on two concepts: Make the oven work more like the fryer, and make more recipes work like sandwiches.

To make the oven work like the fryer, we remove the existing oven recipes. Instead, you put the ingredient you want to cook into/onto one of five cooking containers (pan, pot, rack, tray or wok) and then put the container into the oven, which slowly cooks everything inside. Each cooking container holds 7 items.

Roasting Pan: braised X->lightly roasted X->roasted X->slow roasted X->smouldering mess->fire
Cooking Pot: simmered X->poached X->boiled X->boils over
Grilling Rack: seared X->grilled X->sauteed X->smouldering mess->fire
Baking Tray: baked X->browned X->?????->fire
Steaming Wok: lightly steamed X->steamed X->extra steamy X->wilted X->?????->cloud of steam

The oven also has a timer and a temperature setting from 1-5. The timer is literally just a timer. It dings when the time is up. The oven increases the doneness level of all food in it by one every minute that the food is inside. So an eggplant in a cooking pot turns to "simmered eggplant" after one minute, then "poached eggplant" after two and so on and so forth. Temperature doesn't matter for this. Instead, the temperature setting determines how much of each reagent is 'cooked out' of an ingredient by the cooking process each time the doneness is increased. The eggplant, for example, would lose 5 nicotine per minute on temperature setting 5 and 3 per minute on temperature setting 3.

When you first remove food from the oven, it is hot. Touching it without oven mits (which go in the gloves slot) or eating it does burn damage. After a minute to cool, it becomes fresh. Eating fresh food heals you for twice as much. A while after that, it goes cold and heals you for the normal amount. A long long time after that, it goes stale and only heals for 10%. Vending machine food is always stale. The freshness of food is indicated at the end of the description with "It looks hot/fresh/cold/stale."

Because the oven works differently, a bunch of foods need new recipes. Instead of using the oven directly, we use a couple of cooking menus similar to the construction menu brought up by clicking metal sheets.

All of the current variant breads become Mixer recipes that make some kind of dough (ie dough + pumpkin in mixer = pumpkin bread dough)

A Rolling Pin on any type of dough brings up the baked goods menu. Options include:
-Loaf (if none is selected, it defaults to this)
-Cookie
-Bagel
-Crumpet
-Ice Cream Cone
-Breadstick
-Pizza Base
-Cake Base
-Pie Base
-Taco Base
-Burrito Base
-Burger Base
-Noodle Base
-Tortilla Chips
-Sheet (a material sheet, for making gingerbread houses and dread beds)
-Am I missing any here?

You can reroll bread an unlimited number of times before you cook it. Cooking any dough item in the oven using any method (it doesn't have to be baking!) makes it stop being dough and no longer rollable with the rolling pin.

Using a knife on a cooked loaf yields bread slices as normal, and a bread slice on a bread slice yields a Sandwich Base. Using a knife on meat brings up the meat cutting menu, which allows you to make stuff like:
-Steak
-Meatball
-Bacon
-Hotdog
-Meat Slices
-Meat Paste
-Am I missing any here?

Using a fork on a bowl makes a Salad Base. Using a spoon on a bowl makes a Pudding Base. This uses up the bowl but nothing else.

Any "Base" item can have other items inserted into it (up to a maximum of 8), or clicked on directly to complete it. Dough items don't count as bases until cooked. If you finish a base without anything in it, you get a wish version of it, aka wish sandwich, wish pudding, wish burger.

Ultimate goal:
The chef burning their hands by taking a lightly steamed eggplant, poached egg, sauteed Mr. Rathen's butt and braised fried Space the Clown's ID (Clown) pie out of the oven.
Holy crap, did you edit that in? I don't remember seeing it earlier in the thread but I like it. That's exactly what I meant by a more intuitive system.
Yeah, like 20 minutes after I posted originally.