Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Give changelings different objectives
Nowadays, in between the lower station population and the larger station, it takes much longer to complete the 'drain ten people' objective, if it's even accomplishable at all. This leads to three hour ling rounds where the lings spam shuttle recall while scouring every last bit of the station, effectively camping arrivals and/or slowly transforming monkeys to humans and draining them. Plus with the larger station and the usual lack of sec and the AI, they tend to go unopposed pretty much every round. I can't say whether it's a big factor in the lower population nowadays, but it's certainly not convincing me to stay, especially when ling rounds are the second most common round type.

Ling rounds would be a lot more fun if people got different objectives. Maybe lower the number, or give them traitor objectives like 'eat all the heads' or somesuch. Of course, people are free to ignore their objectives, but the people responsible for the behaviour above play for greentext at all costs.
I think objectives in general could be looked at. Like said, a lot of painful rounds have been cause by some guy wanting to 'win'.

With regards to long rounds and antags, I've always been of mind that if you can't get done what you wanted in 60 minutes then you suck and should accept that fact. Death in long rounds tends to get people to quit for the day, which isn't good for anybody.
I think most of the other antag objectives are relatively fine. Traitors get a nice mix of silly and serious objectives, nuke and blob are kinda defined both form and function by theirs, and wiz/wraiths tend to just dick around regardless.

It's generally just this one particular objective that tends to bring out the worst in people. For most other antags, the most you usually get is people dedicating themselves to killing off the entire station, which at the very least tends to end quickly one way or the other.

Lings could probably use some of the sillier ones, actually. Their abilities lend themselves perfectly to stuff like 'frame this guy' or 'pretend to be a supervillain', that's way more interesting than 'eat ten dudes'.
If you folks have some ideas about what some new ling objectives could be, feel free to write 'em out here. It'd go a long way to making this more likely to be implemented!
Well one I have is this

"Absorb the highest ranking person on the station"

Surely something can be added to it but that's off the top of my head
Not sure how great this is, but you could have a 'Frame' objective.

Frame the Medical Director as a Changeling and have them killed by someone other than you.

You could also have minor specific but not specific 'Absorb' objectives.

Absorb a Head of Staff
Absorb a crewmember from the Medical Department
Absorb a crewmember while in the Medical Department
Absorb a *job* and wear his/her id when escaping.

Absorb someone in *area* (Bridge for example/ gotta make em distractions!)
"Absorb 10 people and escape on the shuttle without the crew knowing there was a changeling on the station"
"Absorb Shitty Bill and tell Shitty Bill Jr. you're disowning him."
(02-04-2016, 09:43 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: "Absorb 10 people and escape on the shuttle without the crew knowing there was a changeling on the station"

That would be hard to code I'm guessing if it wasn't just a flavor thing. If you set it to scan the chat for the word 'changeling', someone could just be talking about them in general and it would trip it.

A new one: 'Depressurize', maybe for engineer changelings.
Depressurize Hydroponics as they are growing rival organisms.

A 'Disguise' objective to add on to Naximous' suggestion.
Take the place of Best Buddy and escape as them on the shuttle.
And being serious, why not some objectives that include other changeling abilities?

"Create a crew composed entirely of Stan Beezlebubs."
(DNA sting)
or
"Enter horror form for a minimum of x minutes"
(I think this is referring to Horror Form... maybe)
Have x number of husks in the bar/arcade/on the shuttle
When there is an ambassador/player-martian/skeleton/lizardperson at round-start:
"Absorb a (species) and take their place on the escape shuttle".
Steal Someone's identity and forever tarnish their reputation.

Lead a lynch mob to hunt and kill the other changelings.

Lead a lynch mob to hunt and kill traitors.

Get someone so mad they try to murder and space you.

Convince the crew this is another roundtype.

Dedicate your round to interrupting someone elses job, set them up for a workplace casualty

Use your multiple genomes to convince someone everyone hates them.

Quote John Carpenters "The Thing" exclusively and subtley.

Target [Your Department] exclusively, build terror, send threats, and pursue over the station as you kill each of your co-workers and leave the husks for their friends

Take over [Heads] identity, and spend the round doing their job better than they ever could.
"This summer, sec is really gonna suck: Ling HOS 2, coming soon"
The concern I have with 'lynch mob/framing' objectives is isn't it super easy to get in MAG WUMBO trouble for killing someone who's not an antag/killing as not an antag? I feel like the number of adminhelps would fucking skyrocket and people would either accidentally get banned or be too afraid of it to want to do those objectives after the first few stories.