Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give Mechanics/Engineers the ability to repair emagged locks
I was inspired by something Spy_Guy said in the Destiny RP thread that Mechanics would probably be the go-to experts for electric lock systems - if that's the case, which makes sense, Mechanics (and other Engineering staff) should be able to fix them. I'm imagining a multi-step process (detailed below).

[Image: XoCcLgO.png]

Each thing to repair also needs an Access Circuit Board which is configured by swiping an ID with the board and selecting which of the swiped accesses is necessary to open the door / locker / etc. This also means you could reconfigure non-emagged airlocks.

Locker (only works on open lockers, whether emagged or not):
--Open lock module cover (screwdriver)
--Cut off lock motor wires (wirecutters) - lock becomes nonfunctional
--Remove old/damaged Access Circuit Board (screwdriver)
--Insert newly configured Access Circuit Board
--Screw into place (screwdriver)
--Add new lock motor wires (cable coil)
--Solder lock motor wires onto the circuit board and motors (soldering iron)
--Close lock module cover (screwdriver)

Airlock
--Open access panel (usual screwdriver)
--Cut access check wire (wirecutters)
--Unlock retention plate (ID, requires APC access if not emagged - in GUI, "The access board retention plate is locked.")
--Open retention plate (crowbar on retention plate text - "The access board retention plate is unlocked.")
--Remove old/damaged Access Circuit Board (empty hand on retention plate text)
--Insert newly configured Access Circuit Board (Access Circuit Board on retention plate text)
--Close retention plate (just click)
--Lock retention plate (ID)
--Solder access check wire back onto access board (Soldering Iron)

(Note: if you don't resecure the retention plate by closing and locking it, there's a chance a door's ID reader will pop out and fall into the inside of the door when someone opens it, requiring the person to open the panel with a screwdriver and put the ID reader back.)

Glass Sliding Door
--Remove ID reader cover (screwdriver)
--Disconnect motor signal module (wirecutter)
--Disengage retention pin (multi-tool, requires APC access ID)
--Remove Access Circuit Board (screwdriver)
--Insert newly configured Access Circuit Board
--Re-engage retention pin (multi-tool, doesn't require APC access)
--Reconnect motor signal module (soldering iron)
--Replace ID reader cover (screwdriver)

(Not securing the retention pin only means that anyone can take out the board.)

Thoughts? Opinions? I think it'd be a cool little way to improve the repair and construction capabilities of the Engineering department.
I believe this is a great idea since it's always a huge pain to deal with serial emaggers that just go and emag everything they see.
Darn, there goes my traitor gimmick. In all seriousness, though, this seems like another good horizontal expansion in terms of the abilities of Mechanics and Engineers. It will give them something to do other than hellburning and building alcohol fountains in their labs. Not that they'll necessarily do it instead, but the option is there.
Great idea, just a little bit convoluted.
Sundance Wrote:Great idea, just a little bit convoluted.
I guess it needs to be perhaps slightly longer than fixing a broken apc.
salix_catus Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:Great idea, just a little bit convoluted.
I guess it needs to be perhaps slightly longer than fixing a broken apc.

You've hit on the reasoning for the steps - I was gunning for that level of time invested, with less time spent per step (no action delay) but more (somewhat realistic) steps.
How DO you fix a broken APC?
Grek Wrote:How DO you fix a broken APC?

http://wiki.ss13.co/Construction#Fixing_bombed_APCs
If this lets me prank people by swapping out the locks on their stuff I'm all for it.