Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waldo mode 2014
One player is waldo. This player can't use the grab or harm intents and everyone wants to kill him on sight. Except he's probably not even waldo, I'm just using that name for convenience. Anyway, instead of just hiding, waldo has to run like hell from the rest of the crew and survive for a given period of time (maybe 20 or 30 minutes) in order to green text. "Waldo" can use flashes and other stun gear, he can disarm people and push them down, but he can't hurt or kill them. Also he has special no-slip shoes to give him a chance. He might also get a pda with items he can use to slow down the lynch mob (like banana grenades, the chameleon projector, and other silly things)

In mixed rounds he'd probably be leading the entire crew on a hilarious chase, slipping people and welding doors shut behind him while the other antagonists try to keep a low profile.
beginning of the round text would be something like "The syndicate has marooned you on Butt Removal Facility Gamma, run like hell before Nanotrasen brutally murders you!
I'm not sure about this one. Running like hell from just about everyone is in the job description of just about every single antagonist, and having a player type where running like hell is the SINGULAR ITEM of the job description seems a bit dull. Furthermore, if the round has no other antagonists, you're gonna have a shitton of dudes chasing after one dude who can't even cast fireballs or teleport like the other player type who gets chased by a shitton of dudes. And if there's nothing stopping the Waldo from camping out in the debris field forever, that's exactly what they're gonna do.

Lastly, there's a fundamental issue here, and that's the fact that I really don't think that it would be fun to play as a Waldo. The point of being an antagonist is to have all sorts of toys at your disposal with which you can fuck shit up in a way that would normally be impossible. Being a Waldo, instead of empowering the player, actually DEPOWERS the player. If all they have is banana grenades and the projector and such, then all that the Waldo is able to do is basically be a traitor-clown without the mental deficits or the license to actually hurt people.
how about this:

The Waldo cannot hurt anyone directly, rather they maintain around them an aura of decay. Whenever they are nearby, metal rusts, food rots, glass cracks, people sicken, lights burn out, etc. By all appearances they are normal, and they can't shoot or punch or choke anyone, but they always seem to be the centre of some kind of calamity.
That would be really damn obvious and counterproductive to the point of being completely inconspicuous, and since the Waldo is a human being just like anyone else, having everything around them break down would be even MORE of a detriment than the detriments that they had to begin with.
there's gonna need to be a reason for people to chase waldo, especially if it's mixed, otherwise people will just ignore him and focus on wizes and traitors
Didn't the old Waldo mode have a Wizard and an Odlaw to help protect him?
icarus Wrote:there's gonna need to be a reason for people to chase waldo, especially if it's mixed, otherwise people will just ignore him and focus on wizes and traitors

Eat his heart to gain superpowers
Centcom Wrote:There is a fugitive on the station. Cash prize if the station can successfully kill the fugitive, this fugitive is considered armed and dangerous, and may attempt to use the escape shuttle as a getaway vehicle. Further information about the fugitive's identity will be offered at a later time

You are a fugitive, try to avoid killing people all willy nilly, but do what you have to in order to escape on the escape shuttle alive. You won't have any special gear so you're on your own.

After 10-20 minutes or so reveal the player's identity so everyone starts hunting them down.

That gives them enough time to make some friends, get some guns, or escape the zlevel until the escape shuttle comes.

put it in mixed so the round isn't boring.

That's my suggestion.
how about, since it's mixed only, waldo helps the other antags? like if a wizard or traitor helps protect him for some time (like 20 minutes), they get a new spell slot or some extra crystals
A while back I dressed as a "Tactical Clown". An admin converted me into a traitor with stun/slip immunity. The admin informed the crew that there was a "Tactical Clown detected; Kill the tactical clown; the clown has powers" through the VoX. That was about all it took to get a mob of at least 9 guys to dedicate themselves to chasing and attempting to kill me.

I lead them on a merry chase for quite a long time using mainly banana peels, water, magnetic boots, lockers, and anything I could get my hands on to evade them without killing anyone. I managed for about 40ish minuted before they got me.

Can't speak for the others, but I had a blast running like heck.

For this particular waldo idea, I think the fugitive theme would go well, however I think it would make more sense for the person fleeing to not kill people. Instead of being an actual criminal, this person would be a victim of a false accusation.

"You have been falsely accused of the murder of [important nanotransen political person who's name and rank are randomized] and you've been put on death row! Nanotransen has placed a proximity triggered microbomb in your chest, stay close to the station or it will go off. If you're captured here the real killer will get away; evade capture but don't kill anyone or your innocence won't matter! You've managed to take some of the guard's equipment before getting free, use it wisely!"

Give him a key to some locked box or a safe that is planted somewhere on the station, and some assorted commonplace escape gear (banana peels, hand tele, a glass of water, a crowbar, etc.). In the box could be some assorted loot (think syndie crate with costumes and stuff that currently is hard to otherwise acquire) to give the crew a reason to want to go catch the guy. The microbomb wouldn't be something that detonates and causes damage to the surroundings on death but rather causes the fellow to gib if they leave the station Z level.

After a moderate to long amount of time, you could have a message pop up about an unauthorized docking somewhere on the station and the fugitive must escape by getting onto the unauthorized ship and pressing a button, deactivating their microbomb and whisking them away to [somewhere].

You could have their objectives read something like:

1) Stay alive on the station Z level for X minutes to find clues on the real killer.
2) Your contacts back home have arranged to help you escape at [Location] after Y minutes - Leaving the station Z level before then will cause the microbomb in your chest to automatically detonate!
3) Don't kill anyone or your won't be innocent anymore!
^I'd be down for that.

Maybe the admins should run a gimmick sometime where everyone but a few people have safari gear and tranq rifles and there's a lot more bushes everywhere.