Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New genetics mutations
Genetics got lots of fun stuff but i feel like there should be more. Here a list of my thoughs
NItro/Boost: Mutation that would allow to run at speed equal to being after meth or more for a while
Electric touch: Stuns target mob for a while and deals minor burns
(this one is pretty stupid but i felt like it needs some joke)Lazor-Fire a laser from mouth shouting 'Imma firin ma lazor!'
Lizard: Turns you into a lizardman. Because lizardmen are the best.
Mind Bolt: shoots a bolt of mind energy. what it should do? brain damage mayby
Charge: Charge at someone and headbutt them for some damage. if you got cranial head formation you will impale them dealing much more damage
Pain: Causes someone pain which knocks them down but doesnt hurt them
Forcefield: makes shield of mind energy around youself which will block/reflect damage for a while
Micro: turns you into really small person for a while. In that form you can fit in vents, hide under tables and got really small sprite but if someone clicks you he will pick you up (on grab intent) or stomp you (on harm intent). you cant move when grabbed but you can resist though you will fall off and take damage. If you get stomped you take heavy damage
Giant: Doubles your icon and mob size. you can block 2x2 hallways and cant be pushed but cant fit in 1x1 passages. also you are slow as hell and trip often. also temorary
Fire manipulation: You can manipulate fire. If you are on fire you can focus it into a projectile and launch forward burning anyone who gets hit by it

I think thats all i could think of. other people should give their suggestions too if they got any
I know theres a topic about ideas for new mutations but all of mine are different from those
Triel Wrote:I know theres a topic about ideas for new mutations but all of mine are different from those
I don't think there's anything wrong with posting there.
Triel Wrote:Micro: turns you into really small person for a while. In that form you can fit in vents, hide under tables and got really small sprite but if someone clicks you he will pick you up (on grab intent) or stomp you (on harm intent). you cant move when grabbed but you can resist though you will fall off and take damage. If you get stomped you take heavy damage
I like this one a lot. Being grabbed should be like being held like an item, with the ability to be placed inside pockets, boxes, and bags. Maybe various animals like Jones should try to eat you as well.
Triel Wrote:(this one is pretty stupid but i felt like it needs some joke)Lazor-Fire a laser from mouth shouting 'Imma firin ma lazor!'

Okay I'm going to overlook how hideously stupid that makes you sound and focus on something more logical to shoot this idea down with: eye-beams already exist as a mutation.

As for fire manipulation, self-immolation and fire resistance already exist.

What I think you're missing here is that the vast majority of genetics mutations are largely useless, and that's one of the only reasons they're allowed to continue existing in the first place. Basically, almost all of these with some exceptions sound like combat buffs that don't really have counters. Genetics REALLY doesn't need more of those. Fire resistance alone already makes you obnoxiously invincible against lasers as it is.

The lizardman mutation, maybe. That might take something special away from the chef, though, so I'm on the fence about that. Also, the micro mutation sounds less like something that should be "for a while" and be more of an extreme version of the dwarf mutation. Mutations that change what you are don't tend to be "for a while" type deals.
Here some mutation ideas.

Rainbow hair: The person hair just changes colors like the rainbow jumpsuit.( Not sure if this not already a mutation.)

Fartcantica: The Person acts as if they are under the effect of Slimicon(or what ever that chem is called), and is unable to fart. Only the truly monstrous Geneticist's will ever give a person this mutation.

Limbplosion: The person has the power, to remove all there limbs at once, in a self contain non damaging(expect to the person using it) Explosion.It's a completely pointless mutation, that I would find funny to see put in.

Extra Long arm: It makes one of your arms Longer then normal, and is purely cosmetic effect. Probably upon examining a person with this mutation, you get the message. "Woah is one of His/Her arms longer then the other one? What a freak!"

Touch Chameleon: The person can turn the color of there skin, to the color of something they are holding.
I.E. Red tool box = red
Knife/spoon/knife = Grey.
Gold Bar =gold.
Beaker = Nothing.
Ect Ect.
Rainbow hair is not mutation genetics with hair follicle research can make it. also chef might have those burgers but its about how much rng hates you today. you might go lizard from first bite or not at all from 6 burgers. we need faster way to do it because its cool
Also, the micro mutation sounds less like something that should be "for a while" and be more of an extreme version of the dwarf mutation. Mutations that change what you are don't tend to be "for a while" type deals.[/quote]
i intented it to be something that allows you to change your size for a while not mutaion that changes you permanently
I understand that that's what you MEANT, but what I'm saying is that it doesn't fit the theme of most mutations to let it just be a thing you can turn on and off. If you want to be a tiny person you have to suck it up and deal with being stuck that way unless you can carry around a mutadone pill to chew on.
also you can set yourself on fire but cant spread it to others. also most of those powers can be countered by other powers
I would love to see some new mutation although you run the risk of obscuring the ones that are already there. An experienced geneticist can tell most beneficial mutations from the non-beneficial ones without having them researched, more mutations could mean that it's even harder to get some beneficial mutations to the crew early on. Although as long as they follow the same patterns I guess it would be just more cases where you can't tell what you'll give them only that it's good.

Anways, In my opinion new mutations should not repeat what others already do for you or what can be achieved easily through other means. Also, I don't think mutations should have limited durations, make them either active instant abilities or permanent. Finally not everything should be positive, there need to be plenty of neutral and negative mutations.
Sadly most of the proposed already fail my first criteria:
Nitro/Boost - rocket boots/meth
electric touch - stun gloves
lizard - I think this was a mutation once?
mind bolt - laser eyes
charge - again rocket boots
pain - ok this one is kind of new but if it's still just another way of knockdown/stunning it's kinda lame. I could see something that gives the target scary messages, maybe some minor damage, and only has a certain chance of knockdown.
Forcefield - this one might be good even if it's just copying the wizard spell. However since it has a duration it's also kind of iffy.
Micro - Should be a permanent mutation but that's basically what the monkey mutation does. You basically trade the problem of not being able to speak with being able to be squished. There is also dwarfism which has no benefits or drawbacks, just the sprite change.
Giant - Again, should be permanent, but it might be neat to have an opposite to dwarfism. I don't think there is a way to stop a person from being a 1 tile entity though I have no idea. Anyways, if it stops people from even getting out of genetics, who would want that?
Fire Manipulation - Incendiary Mitochondria/laser eyes
The ones by NatsumeHack seem fine although not sure how extra-long arm an be done. I'm guessing it would be one arm scaled up instead of the entire sprite if that is possible.

These are just my opinions on mutations and how they work/should work. Please don't take it too hard that I shoot down most of your ideas. But here's some ideas of my own for you to destroy wink :

Tongue whip - Your tongue extends like a whip (looking like the one from biodome). Not sure how it would be controlled, I'm guessing similar to TK but only if your hand is empty and with limited range. Does very minor brute damage, food items hit this way are eaten immediately. Maybe other items smack into your face? It could also pull you in if you hit certain things? smack you into walls?
Rainbow eyes/skin - similar to rainbow hair, your eyes/skin start to change colors randomly. Have all three to make everyone who looks at you nauseous.
Oxygen-retaining lungs - You either just take longer to loose your breath in oxygenless rooms/space or if it's possible you kind of have an internal oxygen tank similar to the emergency oxygen tank that refills automatically when it's not needed.
Toxin resistance - less damage from all sorts of poisons although other effects should still apply (shaking, knockout, etc.)
Thick skin (Brute resistance) - basically just round out the resistances.
Ethereal sense - you can see ghosts
Radio-sensitive organ - you can hear radio messages without a headset. Not sure if you should be able to speak that way? Also which frequencies would you hear? If you would her all of them at once that could be fun, maybe with a limited range?
Radio-emitting organ - This would be the way to speak, it could also allow you to send wifi signals like pda messages. Basically this would work similar to telepathy but instead of a target you set the frequency on which you send the message. Someone experienced enough could use it like a remote signaling device or send stuff to mechanics components.

Mucus-glands - you leave a trail of mucus behind. This could come in two variants, slippery and sticky. Slippery means you leave behind a trail of wet/lubed spaces that people will slip on. Sticky would work like magnetic boots for you and maybe slow people running over it?
Glitter farts - like poison farts but you fart clouds of glitter

Vulnerabilities - the opposite mutations to the Resistances. If you want to be mean, give them the same sprite effect as the positive ones. Heh.
Chem Dependence - You body can't function without a certain chemical in it, similar to a bad addiction. Negative/positive effects of having that chem in your body should still apply. I'm not sure what chems would be good for this, any sort of drug would mean you are basically doubly addicted. Stuff you get from food might be good, healing chems could work. Fliptonium would be fun but how would you get it reliably? Black Powder Dependence, oh dear god!
Chem Allergies - The same thing in reverse, you react badly to certain chems. This with common healing chems and you would be basically murdered by well-meaning passerbys.
Radio jammer - you block all radio communication in an area around you similar to the traitor device. Great if you're a traitor but annoying otherwise. A monkey with this mutation could be the poor man's signal jammer. Usefulness depends on how obvious the sprite effect is.
Long arms: grab stuff up to three tiles away!
again you can burn yourself but cant spread it to others. Also i dont think lizard was mutation but should be. i want it easier than eating 6 burgers.