Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make the station Zlevel accessible from the derelict one.
There's only two zlevel, let's make it so moving off the edge of one level takes you to the same coordinates at the opposite edge of the other level.
It would at least make pursuits more interesting and extend the space you can cross with just a suit and jetpack.

With the current layout of the debris zlevel there's at least a couple of open lanes - on the right edge and the top edge - that cause you to drift forever when being thrown randomly lands you on that row. If you're cuffed you can't steer the jetpack and hurtling through space will interrupt uncuffing.
Not in favour.

If I throw someone into deep space I'd rather they stay there as opposed to throwing a pen and floating right back to where they went out.
In favor. I'd often find as a Borg if I got spaced and found myself floating through space it's almost impossible to get back without a ship.
Against, but code in a very small chance for strangelet loaves to return to the main z-level. The terror never ends.
Well I don't really want space bodies to fly around and smack to the other side of the station but I like the idea of having them connected in a reasonable way.
Add in a function for space GPSes to "find the station" like pods can.

1) Space GPSes get a cool use that actually matters

2) You can fly around space in a jetpack in a reasonable manner

3) You can still dump bodies forever into deep space if you loot them properly

4) You can't immediately return in the middle of combat because you gotta open up the GPS screen and select the "return to station" button. This works because it still allows people to escape conflict
Hitler Wrote:Nein! Nein! Nein!
So, objection number one (and only) is that you want to use the other zlevel as your lazy body dump.
If you space a dead guy, they'll gib on the first wall they hit. There won't be anything left for revival.
If you throw a guy without a spacesuit, they'll be dead before they recover from the stun, and they won't be bouncing back to the station.
If you throw somebody in a spacesuit, coming back is not hard, it just tedious. There's a few miniputts, a station-shuttle and an almost assembled teleporter. Nothing is going to change drastically.

On the other hand, we can have chases that don't stop when somebody moves off the edge (by lag, or mistake, or because they are cowards).
And maybe we can get rid of the code that respawns the nuke disk if it moves off the station zlevel - limiting that to the admin zlevel if at all- and make pinpointers recognize that the disk is on another level.
Clarks Wrote:And maybe we can get rid of the code that respawns the nuke disk if it moves off the station zlevel - limiting that to the admin zlevel if at all- and make pinpointers recognize that the disk is on another level.

So every nuke round ends with the disk being taken to biodome and the elevator sabotaged?
Ikkonoishi Wrote:
Clarks Wrote:And maybe we can get rid of the code that respawns the nuke disk if it moves off the station zlevel - limiting that to the admin zlevel if at all- and make pinpointers recognize that the disk is on another level.

So every nuke round ends with the disk being taken to biodome and the elevator sabotaged?

Clarks Wrote:- limiting that to the admin zlevel if at all-

i guess thats it
I like the idea of being able to access the station from the derelict Z-level but it should be done in such a way as to avoid bodies coming back.

All we really need, I think, is to have something that tracks how many times a specman goes 'North', 'South', 'East', and 'West' and when the x and y of it reaches '0' you are back at the station. That way thrown bodies just keep heading the direction they were going, racking up higher and higher x and y coords instead of hitting the station. They remain 'in play' and recoverable that way too.
Erev Wrote:I like the idea of being able to access the station from the derelict Z-level but it should be done in such a way as to avoid bodies coming back.

All we really need, I think, is to have something that tracks how many times a specman goes 'North', 'South', 'East', and 'West' and when the x and y of it reaches '0' you are back at the station. That way thrown bodies just keep heading the direction they were going, racking up higher and higher x and y coords instead of hitting the station. They remain 'in play' and recoverable that way too.

put more clearly :

X and Y track how many times you reached edges of the derelict Z level as follows

they start at 0

if you are transitioning towards the station to the edge from which you quit the station Z level (thus successfully following your footsteps back), the appropriate coordinate foocrements (- for west/south, + for east/north)

if you are transitioning towards any other edge, the appropriate coordinate foocrements in the opposite direction. (+ for W/S, - for E/N)

iif x and y == 0 and you are going through the right edge, then you are successfully transitioning to the station, else you simply foocrement the counter and you're getting even more lost (even if one of them was already naught)

obviously you'd need to be able to keep track of those with a space gps for example

what do I think of it ? it's crafty but not necessary as clarks explained it and will confuse the shit out of people
So basically, go up 4 times and left 2 times, and you'd need to go down 4 times and right 2 times to get back? Kinda like Zelda and the Lost woods?
Thanks Splatpope - your assessment of what I was trying to say was spot on.
Agreed; space is usually a death sentence anyways if you chuck someone into it without a suit, even if co-ordinates are locked in a logical manner, they're still going to die without a suit.

It certainly makes body disposal a bit more difficult, but that's ok, in my opinion; traitors could do with a few more challenges in their way.