Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Wire Handcuffs
I'm thinking about adding craftable wire handcuffs, but would like to get some feedback on the idea before commiting to it. They'd be weak handcuffs, like the ziptie ones, and (if PR #21151 gets merged), you'd be able to remove them whole walking, and another person can instantly remove them with a cutting/snipping tool.

Why?
I just feel like there should be a way to restrain people as non-sec player. If you roll sleeper or arcfiend, for example, you don't have an uplink to order ductape with! Of course, sleepers sometimes get a little loot stash, but I think having more options is neat.
I think it would be cool personally
Love this idea, tying people up with cables is something I definitely thought was a mechanic when I first started playing -- it just makes sense!

Sidenote, accidentally rated this four stars instead of five, I wish we could still change forum post ratings LOL
Good idea, love it, add it.
I do feel like they should be slightly worse than the zip tie cuffs as those are sec equipment.
Maybe make it take a tiny bit longer to put them on someone

also note that pr #21151 got changed an hour ago to only reduce the uncuff time
I honestly really enjoy this idea, even on the non-antag side of things. I play on 4 and sometimes it’s literally just the crew vs the antag, no sec or detectives to help. I think having a weaker version of handcuffs in this way would be really nice for trying to handle antags on lowpop without jumping on them and trying to beat them into crit or dead just because we have few other means of slowing them down. The amount of times I’ve seen the crew win a fight but not necessarily want to take the execution route, then go “oh shit none of us have cuff— aw they got away” is kinda funny. It’s also fitting that it’s not a very effective means of restraint in this scenario too.

All in all, I like it!
I thought it already was a thing! Definitely need this
Wouldn't this butt into the use case of the duct tape traitor item?
(10-24-2024, 01:49 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Wouldn't this butt into the use case of the duct tape traitor item?

It's ment for antags that cannot have duct tape.
Such as:
- Spiefs
- Sleeper Agents
- Ghouls / Mindhacked
- Salvagers

You know antags that have no way of pinning someone down.
Especially Sleepers... they got nothing thus giving them "something" can help.
(Though Salvagers are an exception since they do get stuff but you get it)
(10-24-2024, 01:49 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Wouldn't this butt into the use case of the duct tape traitor item?

I found myself concerned that the new implementation of #21151 would negatively impact duct tape, and suggested there that duct tape should remain at its current level of effectiveness. If that were the case, a feature like this would still pale in comparison, being much easier to escape.

Ideally, tying someone with wire would be more difficult than applying other cuffs due to the ubiquity of wires. While that depends entirely on implementation, that would also set it apart from tape.

Due to cuffs being inherently anti-interaction, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of making them accessible to anyone and everyone in any form. That being said, I think everyone has at some point wished they had a cheap way of restraining another player other than sitting on them with a pin forever, so it's hard to make a conclusive judgement.

Personally, I think the duct tape item should have more utility than standard handcuffs. keep targetting chest / arms as normal handcuffs, but make it apply shackles when targetting legs, and apply a 1 staple muzzle when targetting head. If targetting chest, ducttape will apply in the order of hands -> legs > head.

Shackle makes the target act as if legless (can stad but forced prone on movement, reduced  move speed), can be removed by self help click on legs standing still over 8~ seconds.

Muzzle mufffles targets speech and removes radio function, can be removed with a selfhelp click on head to deal some brute / burn but no bleed, can be removed whilst moving over 8~ seconds

neither muzzle or shackles can be removed whilst hands are bound
Im just saying that if wire cuffs are added then why would anyone choose duct tape when ordering traitor gear? I mean I think its already barely picked as is because people can just steal handcuffs by breaking into sec vendors.
(10-25-2024, 10:03 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Im just saying that if wire cuffs are added then why would anyone choose duct tape when ordering traitor gear? I mean I think its already barely picked as is because people can just steal handcuffs by breaking into sec vendors.

Simple Ducttape will have the fastest "Capturing time" but "easy to break out off"

If we change it to that. Duct Tape will be used more since you can tie up a security member after taping their hands.
The PR got denied, moving the comment here since this thread still getting replies & if people still want this added they should try to address these concerns somehow: 

Quote:After some discussion in admin channels, we have decided we aren't interested in adding craftable handcuffs - antagonists can/should just steal (ziptie)cuffs from sectechs, and crew has pins.
I think one way to make it distinct and worse than zipties/duct tape would be application: Have it take some time to apply them, as you're tying the wires into knots

This would require either stunning/knocking the person out ahead of time, or two people with one holding them down with a pin while the other wraps them up.