Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Detective Colt Single-Action Job Reward Buff
The detective has a job reward that transforms the detgun into a decidedly cooler-looking gun that is slightly less effective due to being single-action. I'd like to propose the idea of giving this gun the same functionality as the ganger (S&W I think?) revolver which, when drawn from the pocket, allows you to 'fan the hammer', firing off shots much more rapidly but at reduced accuracy. This would give the job reward version of the detgun a benefit to balance out the drawback of having to cock the hammer after every shot(which is not apparent on the standard detgun). Hammer fanning is also just like, really cool.
Hammer fanning is very cool. I'm with this even if I don't play detective. If you feel it might be a bit too good: let it have some variable spread so we're not being deadeye'd. 

I'd also say let detectives with detective training twirl their revolvers in perpetuity but that removes the funny of them dropping and shooting themselves, so this is a great compromise and fun.
(10-04-2024, 09:26 AM)Breezeshadow Wrote: The detective has a job reward that transforms the detgun into a decidedly cooler-looking gun that is slightly less effective due to being single-action. I'd like to propose the idea of giving this gun the same functionality as the ganger (S&W I think?) revolver which, when drawn from the pocket, allows you to 'fan the hammer', firing off shots much more rapidly but at reduced accuracy. This would give the job reward version of the detgun a benefit to balance out the drawback of having to cock the hammer after every shot(which is not apparent on the standard detgun). Hammer fanning is also just like, really cool.
The mechanics for the ganger revolver already do introduce a pretty significant spread increase, making it only effective at near point blank range. I'd imagine it should be fairly balanced with that, since detectives lack a baton or taser shotgun which would have the same effectiveness.
While I don't hate the idea of buffing the Single-Action, my main concern are antag dets just insta-magdumping you.
While this can be excused with "antags are supposed to be strong" and "there are way stronger traitor tools like the shotgun", the issue with THAT change would be that it also applies to normal detectives.
We all know overzealous secoffs and dets who will shoot an antag in the middle of their roleplay to get the drop on them.
Imagine that, but with a detective who can fan 7 stun bullets into the antagonist in an near instant.
Thats the issue.
(10-04-2024, 01:33 PM)Guv Guvington Wrote: While I don't hate the idea of buffing the Single-Action, my main concern are antag dets just insta-magdumping you.
While this can be excused with "antags are supposed to be strong" and "there are way stronger traitor tools like the shotgun", the issue with THAT change would be that it also applies to normal detectives.
We all know overzealous secoffs and dets who will shoot an antag in the middle of their roleplay to get the drop on them.
Imagine that, but with a detective who can fan 7 stun bullets into the antagonist in an near instant.
Thats the issue.

One way you could do this, just one suggestion that might work to counter this: 

Make it an action bar. 

The Detective stands, hand hovering over his pistol, they're about to fire.
[action bar of length proportionate to how good you want this to be, letting people frankly get the heck out of dodge if they want, or smack said detective silly for showboating] 
BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. 

I do agree that I feel the sentiment here is "cool points" not "effective combat" and to me this particular suggestion actually gives a heads-up that it's about to go down to antagonists, reducing that "I must get the drop" habit. If you want to go big: you're doing it with a telegraph.
keep it this way but let the bullets ricochet for humor
I feel the detective should have another cool outfit to go with the colt if you are going to be fanning the hammer.
hammer fanning is REALLY strong. i don't see it playing out well.
Against.. again I am a det main and I know fanning the hammer is WAY MORE POWERFUL then using the normal revolver.
I think the det is one of the most powerful crewmates on the ship and with security access being restricted it makes them the most powerful security member outside the HoS. (I think they are on par with em due to one item.)

I don't want to buff the gun as YEESH!
And don't get me started on detective antags.
(10-04-2024, 02:45 PM)Lefinch Wrote:
(10-04-2024, 01:33 PM)Guv Guvington Wrote: While I don't hate the idea of buffing the Single-Action, my main concern are antag dets just insta-magdumping you.
Thats the issue.

One way you could do this, just one suggestion that might work to counter this: 

Make it an action bar. 

The Detective stands, hand hovering over his pistol, they're about to fire.
[action bar of length proportionate to how good you want this to be, letting people frankly get the heck out of dodge if they want, or smack said detective silly for showboating] 
BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. 

I do agree that I feel the sentiment here is "cool points" not "effective combat" and to me this particular suggestion actually gives a heads-up that it's about to go down to antagonists, reducing that "I must get the drop" habit. If you want to go big: you're doing it with a telegraph.

That sounds much more reasonable, but fails to give the revolver a proper buff, other than allowing for cool executions.
(10-04-2024, 08:36 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: hammer fanning is REALLY strong. i don't see it playing out well.

(10-05-2024, 02:40 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Against.. again I am a det main and I know fanning the hammer is WAY MORE POWERFUL then using the normal revolver.
I think the det is one of the most powerful crewmates on the ship and with security access being restricted it makes them the most powerful security member outside the HoS. (I think they are on par with em due to one item.)

I don't want to buff the gun as YEESH!
And don't get me started on detective antags.

Question. I haven't seen how strong this other gun is with hammer fanning but would it make the Colt any stronger than just using the normal .38 and firing very fast?
(10-05-2024, 05:47 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Question. I haven't seen how strong this other gun is with hammer fanning but would it make the Colt any stronger than just using the normal .38 and firing very fast?

webley is renowned for its ability to instantly delete 1 crewmate. the only thing holding the webley back is ammo scarcity. it'd be a pain balancing this for both the stun rounds and special revolver ammo.
The colt is intentionally worse and left as a job reward because of it, its mostly a meme item to prank antags that want to steal your gun. As others have said fanning is REALLY strong and you have to consider that traitor det can buy AP ammo and get more ammo, unlike the webley. If anything I personally want to nerf the normal det gun's lethal capabilities outside of armory/syndicate loot.
Yeah I don't really want det to get more offensive options, if anything I would want det to have their current abilities to murder tuned down and for them to get better defensive sleuthing options. I feel Det should be more annoying to kill but have less capabilities to kill others
The main concern here seems to be lethal insta-magdumping from tot dets or dets just fighting an antag I suppose. I'd say the solution to that could simply be capping the fanning fire rate increase to two, three or four shots. That along with the cooldown fanning already has (for the Webley) would balance it out quite a bit, especially when considering the accuracy penalty.