Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
thoughts on bringing the 10 minute respawn timer to classic
Bug 
it's been on rp for quite a while. my thought is: what if we brought it to classic. same "new character, no memories of past life, etc" thing.

i think it could work out. "what if i kill a dude and they respawn and immediately come after you" f1, obviously. but on 1 we generally expect and are okay with more chaos, more destruction, and i think that in that case it makes more sense to allow respawns. 10 minutes is a long time on classic.
I'd be totally down for this! I think it could be good.
I don't think murder hobo antags like it. Also makes Malf AI a bit harder. Maybe the mob spawning revenants.
This might finally encourage people to not call the shuttle at 40 mins because they're bored and everyone died. I could also see this being a fun way to keep feeding the chaos of classic rounds if nobody has to worry about perma-death. Especially for the people that kill them selves for something funny but unfortunately filter them selves out of the rest of the round.
I agree with this idea most of round in classic tend to be very bad at the end (mostly because of no sec and low pop) allow them to respawn so they can do other thing instead of die and wait for next round.
If you get cloned? Yes you may retain your memories.
If you respawn as a new charater? NO!
I feel like that is worth testing. Rounds on classic are a tad too short at times because of dwindling population.
I would like to see the respawn timer in classic simply because i don't really like there being mechanical differences between classic and RP. I guess testing it as it has been said would be a good way to see how it works.
I mean my first thought with this would be how would it work with antag modes that arent on RP? Gamemodes like blob, nukies, flock, or revs as far as i know are not designed around respawning. This honestly could have no real round effect but I would think it would make already unbalanced modes like blob even more insane stomps if crew dosent have to worry about diying and can throw themselves at the blob untill it dies. Obviously something like this would not happen on RP cause you are supposed to treat your life as if it matters but on classic you don't have to so just rushing the big bad over and over with endless bodys would be totally fine rules wise.
(08-27-2024, 05:57 AM)rando212 Wrote: Gamemodes like blob, nukies, flock, or revs as far as i know are not designed around respawning. This honestly could have no real round effect but I would think it would make already unbalanced modes like blob even more insane stomps if crew dosent have to worry about diying and can throw themselves at the blob untill it dies.

This was my first thought too, but I don't really see it being a huge problem IMO because of how long the respawn timer is.  It'd have to be seen in action to know for certain, but generally round-ending gamemodes don't stall out long enough for a ten minute respawn to be a game-changer in that way.  Nukies for sure, since by the time respawns are up the nuke is gone either way, but for blob or flock if everyone in the crew is throwing themselves at the enemy and dying immediately that just means that they have ten entire minutes uncontested, as well as the resources from consuming all of those bodies.  If anything, that sounds like it would be better for them --  cloning will still be the best resource for getting people back in the fight, not respawns.
Eh, I don't really like it. Death is already pretty easy to counteract given cloning, classic rounds are already shorter than rp rounds. I think it makes sense for RP to have it to mitigate the impact of death on long rounds, but not for classic. You should be afraid to die and death should be impactful.
(08-27-2024, 08:13 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: Eh, I don't really like it. Death is already pretty easy to counteract given cloning, classic rounds are already shorter than rp rounds. I think it makes sense for RP to have it to mitigate the impact of death on long rounds, but not for classic. You should be afraid to die and death should be impactful.

10 mins is still long XD enough to watch most youtube videos.

But if you really are against 10 mins of respawning... here's an idea.
"Open the death box" Where you can re-earn your life.

When it opens you simply gotta survive for 2 mins.
You die during the survival? Too bad no respawn.
Wat
I like the weight no revives gives death, and for me, it's a big part of the game feel of classic. I haven't played as much since the population declined though.
I've only played a limited amount on classic, but I think this is at least worth a testmerge.