Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Lower the cost of the Cloaking Device from 6 TC
Cloaking Device is 6 TC and is very easily countered by borgs being able to see right through it and once Security is made aware that someone with a cloaker is on station, the thermals usually get pulled out.

Seems really high for something so easy to make useless with the help of the AI or some thermals.
I would like to see cloakers more, and considering how easily they are countered, this would be a good change in my opinion.
(I mostly posted this to get an idea of what to lower it to) smile
The problem is the cloaker got extremly strong synergies with rampage items.

Getting jumped at from the cloaker with a wrestling belt or c-saber is a problem.
idk how it is on rp, but on classic cloak is INSANELY strong and making it cheaper would be insane. if you take preventative measures regarding thermal goggles then youre functionally invincible and youre able to engage and disengage any fight, meaning 1v1 options like belt or katana are even stronger. ai and borgs being able to see you is barely an issue in an actual fight unless a borg is spam pointing at your position. im unsure what kind of potential issue would even be solved by making cloak cheaper. i guess if u wanna use it as a funny toy then its kinda pricey, but the potential of it is too high to make it cheaper
Generally the traitor item prices were balanced around the cloaker price because everything is just plain stronger when you are able to afford the cloaker with it. At least I think I remember this being a thing.
I disagree with this one cloaked in general is tool that permanent use and very useful which is why it should cost the same as EMAG for 6 TC
Yeah, no. Cloaker is strong because it makes other traitor item worth more, like radbow and bladed gloves. Even if you put cloaker 1TC lower, now you have wrestle belt, katana, glaucus, and csaber being able to be paired with it.

The counter also involve det being alive and not antag or a HoS. Sure the AI can locate cloaker, but consider also agent card or rogue borgs in general.
To be honest, if we make the cloaker less avaible, we could drop the cost of a lot of traitor items.
I think the chameleon projector seems like the solution to all of this.
1. It's 5TC
2. Not fully countered by an item or job (I think)
3. Bullets pass over you when hiding
might be a case of being solely an rp player, as I rarely see cloakers at all.
(08-23-2024, 11:12 AM)klushy225 Wrote: might be a case of being solely an rp player, as I rarely see cloakers at all.

Hahaha, yeah, you don't tend to SEE the cloakers.
Real talk though, I hardly see it used regardless of the server.
(08-23-2024, 11:12 AM)klushy225 Wrote: might be a case of being solely an rp player, as I rarely see cloakers at all.

They exist but in RP, being stealthy isn't as fun. In RP you are encouraged to be loud, brash and getting as much people involved.

Where as stealth makes people go: "We had an antag?"

In classic, stealth is a MUST for an antagonist, since if one person spots you being an antag. The mob will hunt you (unless there is a more dangerous antagonist around doing worst damage while you are just being silly (Actually happened to me on classic where I was being a silly antag but blobs and flock kept overtaking my quarters.)

The cloaking device is expensive since there aren't a lot of counters to them.
Alone it isn't dangerous, since ooh no invisible antag? Better grab the infrareds as the det--
Oh the detective is the antag? Well then opening armory and problem solved.

But when that antag can pull out a C-saber or a weapon that can easily crowd control or fast kill someone? Suddenly it's a problem cause the antag can kill the Infrared user 1st, go invisible as the rest of security is trying to get infrareds.
Don't even bother with getting an infrared eye.. since if the materials ain't there, you ain't getting one. If medbay wasn't blown up already.

The problem with the cloaker is as many state: It's a 10/10 support item.
But if it has nothing to support it.. it's a 0/10.

But yea in RP, no one really uses stealth cause.. it's more fun to be loud and in charge.
I wonder if cloakers could benefit from redesign. For instance, if it was a cloaking belt, you couldn't use it with the wrestling belt since both couldn't be worn at the same time
(08-24-2024, 08:42 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I wonder if cloakers could benefit from redesign. For instance, if it was a cloaking belt, you couldn't use it with the wrestling belt since both couldn't be worn at the same time

I'd only stop one combo, but there are plenty other weapons that still make it great to work with!