Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make more food/ingredients renewable
Just little nitpicks, but in the spirit of botany being able to grow a lot of produce surely some ingredients such as soy sauce and gravy can be made to be craftable? Maybe soy sauce can be made by putting soybeans in a still (or if it aint realistic enough salt and wheat added too) and gravies made from mushrooms or meats with some wine or whatever recipe is preferred.
wyci
the issue with soy sauce specifically is that soybeans already make something when put into the still or food processed or stuff like that... there's not really much we could do other than adding a weird unrealistic blender recipe for it or inventing a whole new way of Processing Things just so soy sauce could be easily renewable
    soy sauce could probably just be a mixer recipe, Add soybeans plus wheat to mixer. same with gravy, For gravy could be any meat or mushrooms + flour or garlic.

Edit: meat paste and flour have no recipe and neither does meat and flour. either could be used for gravy.

Soybeans are not made into anything in the mixer by themselves, if you dont want to make soy sauce with just soybeans in the mixer maybe ketchup + soybean [ soy + sauce ]
PR is up.
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/20261
I'm a bit late to the party now that you've put something together, but actually soybeans do not have a still result, it might make more sense to have them ferment.

I also feel it's a little weird to get gravy from mixing uncooked meat, might it not be better as an oven recipe?
(08-11-2024, 05:24 AM)Egregorious Wrote: I'm a bit late to the party now that you've put something together, but actually soybeans do not have a still result, it might make more sense to have them ferment.

I also feel it's a little weird to get gravy from mixing uncooked meat, might it not be better as an oven recipe?

It already got merged, but to address these concerns, I think it's fine. We have some space logic going on, and it's not impossible to imagine that NT mixers have a heat functionality that slowly heats the mixture. As for the still, I'd really rather not add more stuff to it before someone does a rework of it, because the still is ancient and the code is insanely clunky.
(08-11-2024, 07:40 AM)Glamurio Wrote: the still is ancient and the code is insanely clunky.

I've actually been looking at the still. It doesn't seem like there's all too much to it but I don't know the language nor codebase well enough to confidently do a decent job at refactoring. Is the compost bin a better example of the functionality or no, because I could model it off that easy enough I'm pretty sure.
(08-11-2024, 09:04 AM)Egregorious Wrote:
(08-11-2024, 07:40 AM)Glamurio Wrote: the still is ancient and the code is insanely clunky.

I've actually been looking at the still. It doesn't seem like there's all too much to it but I don't know the language nor codebase well enough to confidently do a decent job at refactoring. Is the compost bin a better example of the functionality or no, because I could model it off that easy enough I'm pretty sure.

There's not much to it really, your PR does a good job at fixing up some old code (not sure why you closed it?)

My main issue is with fermentation as a process, it's painfully simple, it's less a process and more of a "put item inside and immediately get liquid".
I'd like it to be more involved, something that passes over actual time, and ideally, converts the liquids inside slowly via chemical reaction.
But that's something that involves a more thorough refactor that I wouldn't expect you to tackle.