Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Dead People Want More Stuff to do!
Star 
I just want more stuff added to the afterlife bar, maybe a science corner next to the hydroponics area in the Afterlife bar, so I can make chemicals, or just put pre-made chems in there for people new to chemistry can toy with.
I think that VR could actually be an interesting place for this to be in. Not in a "Make all the chemicals you want!" like you can in the afterlife bar, but in a "Here's a bunch of possible chemicals, see what they can do to people" like an edutainment game gone wrong.

I'm hesitant to add chemistry whole-hog or even partially into the afterlife bar. While it could help people hesitant to try chemistry by having a safe space where death doesn't matter, it could also suck alot of the life out of looking for secret chems
Thumbs Up 
(11-17-2023, 07:54 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote: I think that VR could actually be an interesting place for this to be in. Not in a "Make all the chemicals you want!" like you can in the afterlife bar, but in a "Here's a bunch of possible chemicals, see what they can do to people" like an edutainment game gone wrong.

I'm hesitant to add chemistry whole-hog or even partially into the afterlife bar. While it could help people hesitant to try chemistry by having a safe space where death doesn't matter, it could also suck alot of the life out of looking for secret chems

Yeah, I agree.
I suggested this stuff before.

The reason botanists can get good easily is cause they can practice all day in the mini game after life.
You can learn damage numbers and robustness in VR.

Why not chemistry as well?
The reason why free chemistry experimentation isn't in the afterlife bar is because we don't want people searching for secret chemicals to be able to do so with free immortality as an option. The same goes for other discovery-related content, like bomb mixing, even if it's not secret.

We don't want the "ideal" path to learning a reward to ever be "remove yourself from the game entirely and hang out in the afterlife"
(11-18-2023, 02:42 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: The reason why free chemistry experimentation isn't in the afterlife bar is because we don't want people searching for secret chemicals to be able to do so with free immortality as an option. The same goes for other discovery-related content, like bomb mixing, even if it's not secret.

We don't want the "ideal" path to learning a reward to ever be "remove yourself from the game entirely and hang out in the afterlife"

Been a while... this is why.
(11-18-2023, 09:52 AM)Kotlol Wrote: The reason botanists can get good easily is cause they can practice all day in the mini game after life

Sorry, but this is BS. I know almost no botanist that hangs out in the afterlife bar minigame to for any amount of time. Except when they want to do it for novelty sake and want to push for a high score. But at that point they are already good.

Personally, i am absolutely not a fan of VR or the afterlife bar and would like to see them gone in the long run. Plucking players out of the main game on station is always to be viewed sceptically and VR and afterlife serve not that much purpose except being a waiting room.
That's a bizarre opinion. Someone in the afterlife area is already removed from the main game -- you can't go there while alive, after all. In a lot of cases, those people are not capable of returning to the main game, either because they're observers, their body is destroyed, cloning is gone, any host of reasons. (On RP, you can respawn after 10 minutes, but even then...)

I like the afterlife bar specifically because it's a nice place to chill out when you're dead. If there's a handful of ghosts I sometimes suggest we all head there and just vibe. There are a lot of people who don't know about it.

I have long envisioned the afterlife area as a place to practice various activities; the first expansion was going to be (might be? heh) medical, with a little training dummy you can give ailments to or whatever, and a system to check if the ailment was handled. So for example you could pick appendicitis and it would give you a dummy with that problem, and then give you afterlife points ™ when it has been removed and the dummy healed.

The reason it would be the afterlife and not VR is because VR is both complicated for living mobs (VR pods are clunky and ancient) and VR can be occupied by real players and ghosts, and the latter can't communicate at all with the former. That's not such a big problem when you're blasting one another with rocket launchers and fireballs, but it's a bit harder when it's a medical situation or something requiring actual dexterity.
(11-19-2023, 02:50 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: That's a bizarre opinion. Someone in the afterlife area is already removed from the main game -- you can't go there while alive, after all. In a lot of cases, those people are not capable of returning to the main game, either because they're observers, their body is destroyed, cloning is gone, any host of reasons. (On RP, you can respawn after 10 minutes, but even then...)

That's the problem i have with it. To clarify, i think the systems should work in a way to bring the player back into the main game, be it midround spawn or maybe player-created possessable objects (kinda like ghost roles on other servers). That's why i am saying long run. I don't think the systems and server rules are there yet to make this vision work.
(11-19-2023, 02:50 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: I have long envisioned the afterlife area as a place to practice various activities; the first expansion was going to be (might be? heh) medical, with a little training dummy you can give ailments to or whatever, and a system to check if the ailment was handled. So for example you could pick appendicitis and it would give you a dummy with that problem, and then give you afterlife points ™ when it has been removed and the dummy healed.

Defitinally a great idea to put in mechanics that are REQUIRED to know to keep a station running like medical stuff.
(11-19-2023, 03:27 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 02:50 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: That's a bizarre opinion. Someone in the afterlife area is already removed from the main game -- you can't go there while alive, after all. In a lot of cases, those people are not capable of returning to the main game, either because they're observers, their body is destroyed, cloning is gone, any host of reasons. (On RP, you can respawn after 10 minutes, but even then...)

That's the problem i have with it. To clarify, i think the systems should work in a way to bring the player back into the main game, be it midround spawn or maybe player-created possessable objects (kinda like ghost roles on other servers). That's why i am saying long run. I don't think the systems and server rules are there yet to make this vision work.

in that context, i suppose it makes sense. it's just such a large departure from the current culture that i wasn't expecting it. we generally don't give dead players a way back into the round at al, outside of as antag minions for wraiths and such. rp isa n exception by the 10 minute rule.

a tg example would be the positronic brain, which is like our spontaneous intelligence cores but they can be used by any dead player at any time (with a few restrictions); while ours are strictly for late-joining players and completely excluded from dead players (barring again rp's respawn)

even the one we do have, ghostdrones, are looked at relatively unfavorably and regularly subjected to nerfs like the cardboard rcd; they're also completely incapable of communicating with the living outside of constructions and crude art

not saying i disagree with the idea as much as comparing it to our current view on this sort of thing
On the idea of things to do in the afterlife bar, I feel like there would be more activity there if people could still keep an eye on the round. Some people want to observe the round and thus do not go in the bar so as to keep enjoying the round. This was the case for me, as when hanging out in the bar I felt even further removed from the game than when just observing as a ghost.

If players could open viewports to allow them to observe other players I feel like it might (or might not, depends on what the community makes of it) give the opportunity to turn the afterlife bar into a hangout place akin to a sports bar where people can enjoy both enjoy the round (even if to a lesser extent) while playing around in the "comfy chatroom" that the bar is.
I have sparked controversy
To stray away from chemistry but still stay in the idea- more bartendeding and cooking stuff might be an idea. Dead people learn to cook. Of course, they have no idea of the effects of the food on living people until they try it for real...

Something with genetics could be fun too, but I have no ideas.
(12-24-2023, 05:05 AM)Cropsey Wrote: To stray away from chemistry but still stay in the idea- more bartendeding and cooking stuff might be an idea. Dead people learn to cook. Of course, they have no idea of the effects of the food on living people until they try it for real...

this is already a thing in the afterlife bar