Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much leeway is there on the roleplay servers?
Like say that a geneticist gives bad mutations in order to stabilize your good ones without explicitly getting permission, or command teleporting ai out of its chamber without a good reason to. What is the divide between ingame security and admin intervention?
additionally, is it fair to have a specific, mapped out goal that you want to accomplish before starting a match, and is it fair to play with friends in the same lobby?
i ask not to just barely not grief or anything silly like that, but i just want a clearer idea of what i can and can do. like going back to the ai out of its chamber thing, lets say i had previously built up a relationship with the ai. would it then be acceptable? or is it already acceptable as command. please catch me up to speed.
additionally, theres a reddit post for if any guests want to answer https://www.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/w...y_servers/
https://wiki.ss13.co/Rules A good place to start.

As far as playing with friends communicating through anything other than in game chat is meta gaming and bannable.

As far as round to round history goes that is a bit more of a nebulous question. Some people view each shift as a new episode with their characters ongoing story arc some are much more one shot what if experiences so your mileage may vary.

Having a general idea of what you wanna do is totally fine. Best advice I can give there is don’t get too tunnel visioned on it a lot of things can happen on rp that you don’t see coming despite it’s reputation for being laid back.

And finally do not do shitty things like giving bad genes without consent, also related force feed laced food drink or pills unless of course you are an antagonist. That is also ahelp worthy and can get you banned.
(08-22-2022, 11:42 AM)DioChasek Wrote: https://wiki.ss13.co/Rules A good place to start.

As far as playing with friends communicating through anything other than in game chat is meta gaming and bannable.

As far as round to round history goes that is a bit more of a nebulous question. Some people view each shift as a new episode with their characters ongoing story arc some are much more one shot what if experiences so your mileage may vary.

Having a general idea of what you wanna do is totally fine. Best advice I can give there is don’t get too tunnel visioned on it a lot of things can happen on rp that you don’t see coming despite it’s reputation for being laid back.

And finally do not do shitty things like giving bad genes without consent, also related force feed laced food drink or pills unless of course you are an antagonist. That is also ahelp worthy and can get you banned.
i still need to know what would constitute an ingame security response vs an adminhelp, how much command is allowed to do their individual thing (that isnt considered antagonistic), and if its fine for friends to collaborate on a plan ingame, again, so long as it isnt antagonistic.
and in the example i gave for ban genes, i meant explicitly in a situation where genetic stability is low and needed to be raised. in my eyes, thats considered doing your job, but that obviously doesnt mean that admins will agree.
Sec response vs admin intervention is going to be on a case by case basis. The best bit of advice I can give on questionable decisions such as bad genes and other questionable experiments is to ask for consent to do it.
If you are not sure about something being questionable ask an admin or mentor in game using f1 or f2. They aren’t going to smite you for asking.

And again as stated talk all you want in game for a plan with your friends about an in game goal. Maybe along the way a few other people tag along and make it better. That’s just fine just don’t coordinate your actions out of game whether through conversation in real life voice chat twitch discord whatever other platform that exists to communicate with others that is out there.

Command is given a reasonable amount of leeway but if your decisions are going to make other peoples rounds insufferable ie all crew must wear maid outfits or be brigged you are gonna get shut down real quick. Or maybe not maybe everyone is ok with that this shift.
(08-22-2022, 11:57 AM)Witherael Wrote: i still need to know what would constitute an ingame security response vs an adminhelp

If your not an antagonist, almost everything that would REQUIRE an immediate ingame security response would be adminhelp-able. Like a teleport into graviton accelerator spacing-trap, distributing "omnizine" labeled cyanide pills, running around with a ghost chilly rafflesia, going on a seething tomato fueled rampage as clown or without consent adding bad genes to other players. This seriously harms people long-time while being in violation to your job.

If people stability gets too low, you should simply ask them to add something bad or remove a mutation. Like in real life, if you get a liver transplant doctors don't randomly start cutting out your appendix. They would talk with you about this if it isn't a "life or death"-situation. And someone being safe in your gene pod isn't such a situation (well, except if you're an antagonist)

There are things that can be managed by an ingame security response, like minor potential harmfull things with good RP-intent. Examples are having a graviton acclerator contraption for fast transport people are able to accidently use, selling drugs, going on a banana peel fueled slipping spree as clown, running around with a space cleaner-dispensing rafflesia to clean stuff (People can OD on space cleaner) or asking the geneticist to add some accents to their gene pool to raise their stability. (and some of these things admittably touch the line of ahelpability)

The difference between these two categories is simple: Other people can CONSENT to being heavily damaged/crippled by these gimmics.

People can decide to stand for minutes in a space cleaner cloud (and get saved by medbay somewhat easily). People can decide to ride graviton accelerators multiple times and get their brain mushed. People can decline your drug offers, they can decline the offer to get their speech being jumbled or their DNA being scrambled.

It's pretty simple, ask yourself the following question: has the other person you are interacting with THE CHOICE to not get their shift/plan screwed up for 10+ minutes?

You are able to get away by many things simply by asking the people if they are ok with it. I saw fights to the death with heavy weaponry out in the open on RP because the parties involved were fine with it.
you can scheme with friends OOC pre-round on an activity to do, sure; people do it often, just make sure if someone random were to wander up during the round, the activity is open enough that they could join in too..
everything else you asked here should imo be ahelped on a case by case basis as the question comes up. when you get to a point in the game where you are asking yourself "can I do this?", that's when to reach out with ahelp to be sure.
these takes have provided wonderful insight. i will adapt my schemes accordingly.
Wait using discord to talk with people outside of the game is bannable if they are in game?
I was using it to guide a newbie once o.o' (it was their 1st shift, I simply explained the controls and what they could do)
Of course in goon fashion they died within 10 mins due to own imcompentence.
They laughed and watched the shift afterwarts to see more.
(I mostly streamed the game to them but they never played during those)
They still play casually sometimes on randomized charaters.

So yea... I never gave away to them waht I was doing exactly, cause I said "I am not allowed to do that"

I understand the rule completely though. But I missinterperted it. Won't do it again, but teaching someone how to pick up items and put them down is probably a good idea.
(08-22-2022, 03:50 PM)Kotlol Wrote: Wait using discord to talk with people outside of the game is bannable if they are in game?
I was using it to guide a newbie once o.o' (it was their 1st shift, I simply explained the controls and what they could do)
Of course in goon fashion they died within 10 mins due to own imcompentence.
They laughed and watched the shift afterwarts to see more.
(I mostly streamed the game to them but they never played during those)
They still play casually sometimes on randomized charaters.

So yea... I never gave away to them waht I was doing exactly, cause I said "I am not allowed to do that"

I understand the rule completely though. But I missinterperted it. Won't do it again, but teaching someone how to pick up items and put them down is probably a good idea.

It's more there so that people can't coordinate griefing and or like say a nukie round with instant callouts of other player postions and such. Teaching another player basics is a much different story. I would not make a habit of it though.
I'm not interesting in giving a thumbs-up to any specific gimmick ideas or examples, since often people will take those and run with them and say "but this admin told me I could" when confronted.

If the rules are unclear to you or if you want to know if a specific gimmick idea is allowed, I encourage you to ahelp in the moment and ask about it.