Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Add stunguns for heads of staff
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016/pull/50 

Flashes are too unreliable for self defense. A traitor might have a welding mask on, or wearing sunglasses. Or the flash might just burn out.

So shouldn't command staff have a more reliable method of self defense? They should be tough to deal with, they're command staff!

All heads of staff, barring the HoS (he already has a shitload of ways to stun you), now spawn with a stungun in their backpack, rather than a flash.

It has a maximum of 4 charges, and recharges 1 every 8.5 seconds. It stuns for less than a stunbaton. It can be EMPed and emagged for fun effects

Sprites by ChuckTheSheep/Jittai
I have to say no to this one, it feels like a solution looking for a problem. Heads are easily able to get their hands on a taser for these situations.
Maybe having some form of stun tool that is melee range only and that stuns like a baton but for a shorter period of time and that carries 1 or 2 charges and that would have to be thrown into a recharger to be used again would be a somewhat better idea, but definitely not what you have proposed, recharging stun tools are TOO EFFECTIVE and that is just not a good thing.
A couple things:
* If RNGesus is on your side, you can keep someone stunned for a VERY long time with flashes. With these, you'll run out of charges eventually and need to wait.
* I've never seen a head that wasn't Captain/HoS/HoP with a taser... there's 3 other heads of staff who may be targeted who won't have tasers.
* It's semi-easy to avoid, due to making an obvious sound, and having a unique inhand.
Lower the charge to 1, and make it take longer to charge back up and I'd be down.

Ideally, the stun gun should only be for disabling someone enough that you can run away and call back up, not reliably fight someone off
Don't forget the MD has the tranq rifle, and RD has wonderland deathville* at their disposal currently

*Telesci stuff, chems, etc.
Honestly all that needs to be changed is to give all heads, not just HoS and Captain, firearms carry permits. This would allow the MD to open carry their tranq rifle, the RD to open carry whatever sort of horrible flamethrower they make, and the CE to do whatever the fuck they want. HoP doesn't already have it but they can rather easily give it to themself.
(03-01-2018, 11:57 AM)awfulworldkid Wrote: Honestly all that needs to be changed is to give all heads, not just HoS and Captain, firearms carry permits. This would allow the MD to open carry their tranq rifle, the RD to open carry whatever sort of horrible flamethrower they make, and the CE to do whatever the fuck they want. HoP doesn't already have it but they can rather easily give it to themself.

I don't know how it works in your institutions, but our heads of government usually don't open carry on the house floor- there's a security team for that. 
Wep permits would just make life easier for roles that are already overpowered and overendowed. 
Same with this stun gun patch. I feel like it's intended not for the Goonstation Heads but for some Mary-Sue Nanotrasen™ Ideal Perfect Hero Boss Man heroically slaying the nasty staff assistant who was absolutely asking for it when he bumped the captain off his segway
The only thing the Heads need can be provided by their endless access and authority.
(02-28-2018, 05:52 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Lower the charge to 1, and make it take longer to charge back up and I'd be down.

Ideally, the stun gun should only be for disabling someone enough that you can run away and call back up, not reliably fight someone off

What about 3 charges, with the recharge time being LONGER than the stuncuff time
(03-01-2018, 12:42 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 11:57 AM)awfulworldkid Wrote: Honestly all that needs to be changed is to give all heads, not just HoS and Captain, firearms carry permits. This would allow the MD to open carry their tranq rifle, the RD to open carry whatever sort of horrible flamethrower they make, and the CE to do whatever the fuck they want. HoP doesn't already have it but they can rather easily give it to themself.

I don't know how it works in your institutions, but our heads of government usually don't open carry on the house floor- there's a security team for that. 
Wep permits would just make life easier for roles that are already overpowered and overendowed. 
Same with this stun gun patch. I feel like it's intended not for the Goonstation Heads but for some Mary-Sue Nanotrasen™ Ideal Perfect Hero Boss Man heroically slaying the nasty staff assistant who was absolutely asking for it when he bumped the captain off his segway
The only thing the Heads need can be provided by their endless access and authority.
Cog1 is literally designed to mess with the MD. If you spawn in at roundstart as MD and immediately get the gun, harner will be at the window. So if you forgot to close the blinds or dont want to wait for harner to go away, guess what you’re under arrest. It’s really unnecessary to arrest a head of staff for posessing an item they are supposed to have imo
Idea: because the MD has a tranq gun, the HOS and Captain start with energy guns, the hop can give themselves security access, and the RD has literally all of science to kill you with, give the stunguns to the CE only, or at least give the CE something better than a flash to deal with threats.
(03-01-2018, 03:13 PM)Prichard Wrote: If you spawn in at roundstart as MD and immediately get the gun, harner will be at the window. 

sounds like a good reason to not start the doctoring with "git gun" - and sounds like a very deliberate map design specifically to induce better behavior. 

for a community that admittedly agrees that vigilantism is no good, there's a very frequent push to legitimize it.
(03-01-2018, 12:55 PM)darkbitt Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 05:52 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Lower the charge to 1, and make it take longer to charge back up and I'd be down.

What about 3 charges, with the recharge time being LONGER than the stuncuff time

The way I see it, having it rechargeable makes it pretty powerful, hence why it should have the low charge count, and since it's melee you only really need the one hit to connect to your target. It makes it a good weapon for defense

Giving it more charges makes it more viable as an offensive weapon, letting you stun lock someone while you slap cuffs on them, which isn't something you should be doing as a head.

If you do want it to have a higher charge, then it should probably require charging at a station
(03-01-2018, 04:08 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 03:13 PM)Prichard Wrote: If you spawn in at roundstart as MD and immediately get the gun, harner will be at the window. 

sounds like a good reason to not start the doctoring with "git gun" - and sounds like a very deliberate map design specifically to induce better behavior. 

for a community that admittedly agrees that vigilantism is no good, there's a very frequent push to legitimize 

I personally think it has almost no correlation at all to the kind of bad behavior you're talking about. Personally, I just like to empty the locker into my backpack even though I hardly use 90% of it
(03-01-2018, 03:29 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Idea: because the MD has a tranq gun, the HOS and Captain start with energy guns, the hop can give themselves security access, and the RD has literally all of science to kill you with, give the stunguns to the CE only, or at least give the CE something better than a flash to deal with threats.

It's not like it's hard for CEs to make stun gloves.