Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
[Feature] Chugging!
Click-drag-drop a beaker/glass on yourself to rapidly fill your gullet with the contents of any reagent container and click-drag-drop a beaker/glass on somebody else to drown them!
(you can't suck the chems out of patches)

Featues:
If you click-drag-drop a reagent-container that supports click-drag-drop reagent transfer (so yes to fuel tanks and watering-cans, no to patches and puddles) onto yourself, you rapidly and repeatedly take a 20 unit gulp of it's contents, rounding it all off with a nice loud burp. The first gulp works fine, but after that, for every 20 units that you drink, 20 units will spill over your and you will start to choke. Chugging can be interrupted by moving, or doing anything else.
The oxygen loss can kill you, after tanking some 200 units (you'll need about twice as much to compensate for the spillage).
If you fill up too much (330 of reagents in your body), you will swell up like a balloon, taking substantial brute damage on top of the oxygen damage.
If you manage too live through that too, and consume a total of 400+ units, you will gib.

Doing it to somebody else takes some extra time, but is an excellent way to kill monkeys. You can't use it to gib them though.

At the suggestion (and endless insistence wink ) of the people on the discord #ImCoder channel,  a trait has been added: 'Chuggernaut!'. With it, you will spill less of the chems you chug, and take less oxygen damage.

Code: I tested the code with the 2016 release v510 build.

Updated! Now has the new trait (see features)!
Updated2: Included Mordent's feedback.
This is the best thing I've read in awhile. Yes to everything, good job!
This is great. Nothing else to add.

As an aside: another suggestion that would work great with this exact same system could be for food! Drag click plate of food when holding correct utensil (eg: Drag a bowl of soup while holding a spoon). If it doesn't require a utensil, then you don't need to hold anything!
Updated:
Added trait, added brute-damage when too full of chems.

(11-10-2017, 04:49 AM)Sundance Wrote: This is great. Nothing else to add.
smile

(11-10-2017, 04:49 AM)Sundance Wrote: As an aside: another suggestion that would work great with this exact same system could be for food!
You are right! Foods are a reagent containers, and the only reason it won't work already (utensils and buggy-ness aside), is because the /obj/item/reagent_containers.MouseDrop() explicitly filters them out.

But I won't add them to this patch. I've been working on this for 3 full days and I have reached all the goals and stretch goals. I'm not going add anymore at this time.
oh my god i love this
Quote: You are right! Foods are a reagent containers, and the only reason it won't work already (utensils and buggy-ness aside), is because the /obj/item/reagent_containers.MouseDrop() explicitly filters them out.

But I won't add them to this patch. I've been working on this for 3 full days and I have reached all the goals and stretch goals. I'm not going add anymore at this time.

Fair! My point was that this patch creates a basis for this code to be developed in the future. Which is a good thing, means less work for those that do.

This patch stands on its own two feet already, I agree.
I'm going to have to cast my strong dislike of one part of this: I believe in its current implementation you can dispose of any corpse with no real effort.
(11-10-2017, 08:56 AM)Mordent Wrote: I'm going to have to cast my strong dislike of one part of this: I believe in its current implementation you can dispose of any corpse with no real effort.
That is true...
If you use an artifact beaker on a corpse, there is no check to see if the recievee is still alive before it is gibbed.
I could add the check or increase the gib threshold by a lot (people will still die for Ox or brute damage). I could do the check and then reduce the gulp size, so living people can gib a soon as they like, but dead ones will take forever. Or just remove the gibbing altogether.
Would that make it acceptable?
It's not just artbeakers that'd do it; any container would work if you refill it a few times. Stand next to a sink with one of the containers and keep filling it.

For balance purposes, I'd remove the gib entirely unless you're doing it to yourself, in which case gib-away. I haven't checked the delay, but I'd make it a little higher than whatever the "force to drink from" one is if it isn't already, else it's just basically improving that for nefarious purposes (because brute/oxy damage).
(11-10-2017, 09:35 AM)Mordent Wrote: any container would work if you refill it a few times
If you move or act (to refill), the chug is interrupted, and the drank_total (which needs to reach that 400 threshhold to cause the gib) resets.
You are right.
If you move or act (to refill), the chug is interrupted. But if a buddy refills the container while you chug it, you could work up to gib threshold in a single swig with any container that holds at least 41 units of chemicals.

(11-10-2017, 09:35 AM)Mordent Wrote: ...
New version:

The by_force_delay has been doubled quadrupled, and I added a few extra warnings to make everybody around aware of what you are trying to do. The delay is now roughly twice as long as the stun caused by flashing a monkey.
You can now only gib yourself, provided you use an artifact beaker, or get somebody to help you out.
Here's a question:
lets say I chug about 200u of one half of some lethal binary chem ( say, sulfuric acid and phosphorus )
then go to chug another 200u of the other half ( say plasma and maybe some fuel or something )
- will the initial explosion of 20u interrupt the chug, or do i get to explode 10 times ?
I've been looking for the most effective way to suicide chem bomb things, and this would be a huge step up from PartA / Part B pills if it works.
FRANTIC TESTING AND FIXING BUGS THAT DON'T EXIST
Didn't have to do anything.

(11-10-2017, 11:56 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: a question
Right. So what would happen is that on that first gulp, the reaction would happen, and you'd explode a bit. If you survive and aren't stunned, you will be able to take another another gulp and explode again. And so on.

But yeah, realistically , that first gulp would disrupt you before the second gulp happens.

So, I think I fixed all the little problems and inaccuracies. For now, I shall adjourn. Tomorrow I shall can fix whatever problems people can think still of, although I hope it isn't too many.
being in harm intent should make you smash the bottle/glass/beaker on your forehead when you're done
(11-10-2017, 04:27 PM)Berrik Wrote: being in harm intent should make you smash the bottle/glass/beaker on your forehead when you're done

But if you have that hard headed trait you take no damage from it

Corollary: if you’re a wrestler you also take no damage
So John Warcrimes question made me do a few tests, and it was possible to gulp one too many times before you exploded, which means you could explode twice. I fixed that.

I also cut the number of chat-window reports and sound effects in half so as to make it slightly less ear-rape-y. The chugging speed or amounts have not changed.

I think (yet again) that this was the very last bug. I have no more time to work on this this week or the next.
So I hope that the current quality is adequate for admission.