Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Slow Down Disposals on Cog1
The belts on cog1 don't give you enough time to run away form the gibber if the blast doors are open. This was reverted on cog2, so I don't see why it couldn't be changed on cog1. I get that it was to make disposals a "chance" escape route, but honestly removing people from the round entirely because they wanna use disposals to escape is kinda dumb IMO.

Sorry if there's a thread about this already but I couldn't see one yet!
I dunno.
If you plan on using something that can grind people into tiny little bits, shouldn't it have the risk of grinding you into tiny little bits?
I don't want to be a traitor mechanic just to make the thing useful for disposing of people quickly.
The problem is that disposals is ingrained in the station consciousness as a generally harmless way of removing someone from your immediate vicinity, to the point where a significant amount of the station population runs around disposalling people for breaking and entering/literally no reason whatsoever, even though the fast belts make getting disposaled an almost assured death if the crusher door isn't closed. Not to mention how easy it makes it for traitors to kill people in an unrecoverable manner.

This was a known issue on Cog2 to the point where disposals was changed multiple times to alleviate it, I see no reason why those changes shouldn't be made to Cog1 as well.
That's a fair point.
I don't see why people can't beat the shit out of someone and throw them out though
Counter-Idea:

Make the crusher doors automatically close after a certain amount of time unless you put significant effort into keeping them open ( i.e. hack a panel or just emag something, details unimportant.)
Instead of just nerfing and safety-padding an entire system, just make it less trivial to turn lethal. That way you can flush yourself and others with the relatively-justified IC and OOC expectation that it's safe, but keep the crusher accessible as a means of causing trouble.
*or* (hot take)- don't considder tossing someone into a pneumatic trash compactor a non-agressive act?
Personally, I think some kind of weighted system would be nice, where when there is enough trash the doors open. A single person wouldn't set it off, but add a few items and it'll activate.
Honestly I think it's kind of great that disposals that lead towards a ***crusher*** would be rather lethal. I consider disposaling people a rather aggressive act with intent to get rid of someone fast, and it being especially useful to traitors just discourages disposal-griffing altogether.
If you toss a person into disposals and you don't expect anything to go wrong by tossing a dude down a trash chute with acute knowledge of the crusher, well it's on you to get banned.
The problem is people who run around disposaling others don't get banned. A gargantuan amount of slack is given to non-antags who kill people if they can do so in a way that introduces enough reasonable doubt, and the percentage of the station population who abuse this is so vast that in almost all cases, it's easier to idiot-proof the system mechanically than call in admins every time.
Crushers being deadly to Marios was more an unforeseen consequence of a cog2 fix than an intended effect. Pipes should be retained as an escape tool. I'd rather not be missing out on the hilarious deaths I've had from redirected or damaged pipes.
Disposals used to be a non-lethal way of getting someone out of your hair, and since you never hear from that guy who died in the crusher again one way or another anyone who doesn't know this has changed or just doesn't know any better isn't going to learn their lesson unless they themselves end up down a chute. Regardless, even if everyone knew that disposals was a sure way to death if it's open, doesn't it seem a bit easy? The fact that you could click-drag someone into a chute and use the stun from getting out to keep them locked in until you send 'em down wasn't that big a deal when it was just a trip to trash island, but now it seems a bit extreme to just irrevocably die if some assistant who may or may not even be an antagonist decides to disposal you.
I really hate to give the admins more work, but I think that it would be better to report it when it happens.

How fast the crusher belt goes should be common knowledge by this point, honestly.
I think it should be slowed down or the gate to the grinders close automatically after a short time. These thing are all over the place they should not be a easy way to kill or trap people (if they have no ID)
you should be able to control the speed to make them go faster OR slower
also there needs to be an easier way to get out of the crusher on cog1, the only way is to break windows afair
(09-01-2017, 12:49 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: you should be able to control the speed to make them go faster OR slower

have their speed tied to engine power if you hotwire it.