Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major weldfuel explosions go through walls for no obvious reason
This has been a thing for a while, but the wave of flame from exploding welder tanks (the big ones) will ignore walls entirely to bathe people on the other side in horrible horrible fire.
don't they blow down the walls that they go through?
weldertankbombing almost always levels some walls so this is feature.
Anecdotal but I feel like I've seen both situations happen, where the walls have been blown out and also where there's no obvious way for the flames to have penetrated, but they still do.
Ive never seen this as an issue
Feels like it would take away some of the threat of a welder bomb if it suddenly couldn't hit you from beyond a wall.

It's not exactly a stealthy weapon.
What they should do is direct all of the explosion in whatever open direction, so like it could fireball an entire hallway instead of just a section of it and parts of other rooms.
(08-11-2017, 08:06 PM)Musketman12 Wrote: What they should do is direct all of the explosion in whatever open direction, so like it could fireball an entire hallway instead of just a section of it and parts of other rooms.

So say an average unimpeded welderbomb covers X tiles, it should look for X unimpeded / unwalled tiles in all directions- and then what? 
what if the room is 3x4 like in research, or that realyl narrow maint hall near robotics, which I think is probably the worst offender in this case. it'S a 1 or 2 wide strip with a tank by a window, and blowing it gets the main hall as well as sometimes a second tank inside robotics. 
not sure exactly what point im making, but there's a lot of very wierd positions for these things.
they used to do the old "fireball magic conforms to the shape of the confined space" business in old editions of dnd, usually to the dismay of someone who overlooked that rule and wound up getting their own party caught in the backblast when they thought they were at a safe distance

weve discussed this sort of thing before, and while such nuanced explosion mechanics would be kind of neato, i think the current name of the game in goonstation is simplicity above all, so i believe circular radius explosions will be with us for a long time
I'm pretty sure canbombs and other stuff already have shaped explosions to an extent, or at least I thought I remembered something in the changelogs about it.
I don't expect or particularly want channeled/directed explosions, but it would be nice if regular/reinforced walls and floors dampened the power of explosions slightly. They feel kind of pointless at the moment because while the walls themselves might tank an explosion, anything inside them (or outside, depending on explosion location) won't, resulting in a group of gore-covered reinforced walls and floors floating in the void. To say nothing of the fact that any decently strong explosion cracks them open anyway.
What about if a regular wall counts as traveling through two tiles, a reinforced wall counts as three tiles, and so on. That way we don’t have directed explosions but you can’t expect to set off a bomb and have it burn something 4 rooms away.
(08-13-2017, 02:26 PM)misto Wrote: name of the game in goonstation is simplicity above all, so i believe circular radius explosions will be with us for a long time

^ this

im sure if someone makes a patch for directing explosions properly and it turns out not to suck, it'll stay. until then, its easier to make weldbombs go through walls to make a circle. also weldbombs are good, especially for the ai
(08-13-2017, 10:40 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 08:06 PM)Musketman12 Wrote: What they should do is direct all of the explosion in whatever open direction, so like it could fireball an entire hallway instead of just a section of it and parts of other rooms.

So say an average unimpeded welderbomb covers X tiles, it should look for X unimpeded / unwalled tiles in all directions- and then what? 
what if the room is 3x4 like in research, or that realyl narrow maint hall near robotics, which I think is probably the worst offender in this case. it'S a 1 or 2 wide strip with a tank by a window, and blowing it gets the main hall as well as sometimes a second tank inside robotics. 
not sure exactly what point im making, but there's a lot of very wierd positions for these things.

If you're asking what happens when a fire ball is supposed to take up 20 tiles or so, and there's only 7 tiles it can be on since it's blocked by doors and walls, I'd say either

1. Lengthen the time the fire burns by replacing tiles that burn out from the stock of unused fire tiles
2. Use the unused fire tiles to build the heat strength of the fire tiles near the fires start point
3. Keep the unused fire tiles on reserve for in case a new opening is made and then rapidly fill the area, for a backdraft like scenarios
Fire teleporting through a solid wall is clearly a bug and shame on the people that think that being able to set a gigantic area ablaze with nothing but an igniter and an item that requires no special access is okay.
It doesn't happen often enough to be an issue, and there aren't a lot of easy to access places where you won't see someone run past the windows AND you'll be caught near the center of the blast.